AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Chronic Future - Lines in My Face Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 9.25
Production 9
Creativity 9.75
Lasting Value 9.25
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.75
Musicianship 9.5
Lyrics 9.67
Production 9.75
Creativity 10
Lasting Value 9.92
Reviewer Tilt 10
Average: 98%

Chronic Future - Lines in My Face

Reviewed by: kevinAIWW (01/08/10)
Chronic Future - Lines in My Face
Record Label: Interscope
Release Date: June 22, 2004

Do you like Eminem? Atmosphere? Do you like punk-rock? Do you like five note songs that are catchy as fuck? Then you have fallen into the world that is Chronic Future, a rap/rock group that has been around for as long as I can even remember.

I don't have much of a history for anyone, but not many people know this band. I'll get right into the review.

Lines in My Face opens up with a funky rap drum beat with a reggae sounding guitar chord progression. It sounds like any Gym Class Heroes song, except these men were around before Gym Class were even gossiped about by your local scene kids that listen to nothing but rap nowadays. Anyway, the song is called "Time and Time Again," which got the band on the ball for the first time in their nine years, at that point, of being a band. Mike Busse, being the lead vocalist-- well, co-lead vocalist actually-- raps with a passion, and with the sound of his main influence, Atmosphere, using words such as, "I'm not dividing me from you, cause we're working together. Perfect in it's splendor like the currents of the weather. The splinter in my center hindering all of my pleasure, is pretty manifested with you in this endeavor." As you can see, he seems passionate though he has a very plain and single-toned voice and the rhyme scheme of a more realistic and mature Owl City. Once you take his vocals and converge them with a punk-rock group, you get an extremely catchy, and repeated chorus with only four chords, and two-part harmony singing. The harsh rapper can sing just as well as he can rhyme. It's your average, original early-2000s verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus(x2) style, which is very much missed.

The album moves into "World Keeps Spinning," a groovy acoustic track incorporating bongos as well as a fast paced feel, and again, the verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus(x2) style we all love-- nothing more, nothing less.

"Shellshocked" became, after a dispute over whether or not it should be used, the third track on Lines. The song consists of very little of the band's hip-hop antics, but has a huge emotional sound and a sad, minor tone. With words like "Who are you to say to me that I'm not alright? You don't know what it's like. No I'm not alright," it's obvious that Busse was having some issues that many tweens who aren't getting their way can relate to. This song contains the least rhyming on the album, with a mere ten-second rock bridge where Busse unleashes his "fury" (for lack of a better word).

"Stop Pretending" brought out the character that is Chronic Future. Unbiased, it is my favorite track on Lines. The chorus is a bit juvenile, but the verses really show the emotions of the rest of the band, with sensible up-and-down stroke picking on clean guitars, a rap beat with the perfect rock edge, added piano for emphasis, and the soothing yet carefree, and well-thought rhyming of Busse. At some parts, he's speaking so fast that no one can catch what he is saying until they read the lyrics.

"New York, NY" is a song much like "Stop Pretending," but in itself, it is completely different. It's one of those things you have to listen to in order to hear all of the subtle differences.

"Thank You" has to be the most repetitive song on Lines, repeating "I wanna go for a walk outside with you," in many instances. The song has a very easy sound to it and makes for a good break from intense hip-punk-rock. The standout in the song are the very soft vocals, almost as if it were a drone.

"Memories in F Minor" is easily comparable to the leading track on the album, "Time and Time Again," only once again, the message is completely different.

"Wicked Games" has earned the band much fame by being included in TV shows such as CSI: Miami, and an underground movie about a paintball player (what?). Anyhow, the song packs on the emotion again. This emotion thing is starting to sound redundant, but the song is about the bitter loss of a girlfriend. Again, there's little to no rap or rhyme from Busse, who now seems to be the 'most valuable player' on Lines in My Face. The song is well structured and well thought out. The only downside is the end, which is a hidden track, in which muffled hip-hop is played while Matt Busse thunders rhymes, which kills the mood for the song itself.

I'm only getting into the songs that mean anything to me on the album, which is a little bit more than half of Lines in My Face. But all in all, being a child when I had first heard it, it's bound to stick with me.

I'd say this is a must have in your collection if you're in the mood for any jacked-up band that isn't very comparable to anyone else in their time-slot.

Recommended If You LikeFall out Boy on acid, Gym Class Heroes, White rappers, whining, CSI: Miami, and of course verse-chorus-verse-chorus-bridge-chorus(x2)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 30
11:51 PM on 01/09/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
"New York, NY" is still SO good.
12:08 AM on 01/10/10
ZeoVGM
PINK WIG, THICK ASS.
User Info.
Holy shit, I remember them.
04:32 AM on 01/10/10
icynova
Love is easier made than kept!
User Info.
Awesome album. Thanks for the nostalgia trip man.
09:28 AM on 01/10/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Holy shit, I remember them.
I know I was just sifting through Itunes and I came across lines in my face, and I was like holy fuck..
10:24 AM on 01/10/10
NickPeerSays
This Ain't A Surfin' Movie
User Info.
I really like this album.
10:30 AM on 01/10/10
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Oh man, this is one of my all time favorite albums. I bought this album years ago and I just started listening to it again recently and I can't stop. Great review by the way.
11:17 AM on 01/10/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
incredible album. too bad they haven't released anything as good since then
11:39 AM on 01/10/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
incredible album. too bad they haven't released anything as good since then
yeah, they sort of died. nothing stands out near as much at all. and they've had what.... three releases since?
12:35 PM on 01/10/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
yeah, they sort of died. nothing stands out near as much at all. and they've had what.... three releases since?
yeah they released "this and of that" which was an ep with some remixes and old bsides, the modern art ep which they drastically changed their style into some electro kind of shit (which was really dissapointing. the only song i like on that is "i think you got ahead of me") and then the last one being a compilation "demoitis" which is just demos and old songs. if they kept going with the style they had on "lines in my face" they could have been huge i think
12:36 PM on 01/10/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
yeah they released "this and of that" which was an ep with some remixes and old bsides, the modern art ep which they drastically changed their style into some electro kind of shit (which was really dissapointing. the only song i like on that is "i think you got ahead of me") and then the last one being a compilation "demoitis" which is just demos and old songs. if they kept going with the style they had on "lines in my face" they could have been huge i think
Yeah they definitely should have kept going with that style. I miss it a lot. If they came back in 2010 with a follow up to that album-- same style, they would blow up.
12:48 PM on 01/10/10
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
damn, got this back when i was younger after i heard "time and time again" on burnout 3. 6 years later it still blows me away. probably the most underrated album of this decade, they should have been massive. and those demos they kept releasing on their myspace a few years ago shouldnt have been transformed into shitty overglossed electro-pop. glad i caught them on tour with those two crappy bands back in 08, probably the last time im ever gonna see them :'(
12:58 PM on 01/10/10
tfieldz
All The World Is Mad
User Info.
damn, got this back when i was younger after i heard "time and time again" on burnout 3. 6 years later it still blows me away. probably the most underrated album of this decade, they should have been massive. and those demos they kept releasing on their myspace a few years ago shouldnt have been transformed into shitty overglossed electro-pop. glad i caught them on tour with those two crappy bands back in 08, probably the last time im ever gonna see them :'(
i also learned about them because of burnout 3, one of my favorite games of all time. that soundtrack was STACKED. i learned of chronic future, jimmy eat world, motion city soundtrack, yellowcard. sugarcult, and the matches cause of that game
03:15 PM on 01/10/10
saturday_snow_squall
www.dailyslicemag.com
User Info.
i also learned about them because of burnout 3, one of my favorite games of all time. that soundtrack was STACKED. i learned of chronic future, jimmy eat world, motion city soundtrack, yellowcard. sugarcult, and the matches cause of that game
exactly. such a great game. the soundtrack was pretty much the greatest soundtrack ive ever seen in a game. and since i was young when i played it, it pretty much scoped out my musical tastes for the rest of my life. i wouldnt be here right now if i never played that game haha
05:37 PM on 01/10/10
Alexx Miller
Dominic Decoco
User Info.
This album is one of my all time favorites.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests