AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Author's Rating
Vocals 6
Musicianship 10
Lyrics 7.25
Production 7.25
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 10
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.38
Musicianship 9.63
Lyrics 7.31
Production 8.31
Creativity 8.06
Lasting Value 8.88
Reviewer Tilt 9.06
Average: 85%

After the Burial - Rareform (Re-issue)

Reviewed by: kevinAIWW (01/10/10)
After the Burial - Rareform (Re-issue)
Record Label: Sumerian
Release Date: September 15, 2009

I was absolutely shocked/stoked that I searched for a review on this band and found nothing. Now is my time to shine. Don't you just love clusterfuck metal? Do you like two guitarists that make people look dumb on their 8-strings? Beats that make you want to hurt people, or leave you utterly confused? Do you love bassists that mean anything in a band at all? Or maybe you just love vocalists that drop you a voice that's shrill to the ears. If you're interested, you have fallen into the clutches of Sumerian metal masterminds, After the Burial.

Rareform was originally recorded and released in the year 2008 with vocalist Grant Luoma, who was given the boot for various physical fights amongst others. But that's beside the point. To leave fans less disappointed, Rareform was re-recorded, re-mastered, and of course re-released. This is with the newest front man Anthony Notarmaso.

"Berzerker", the leading track on the album hits you very quickly, with blazing harmonizing guitar riffs coming from guitarists Justin Lowe, and Trent Hafdahl. This is quickly followed by quick thinking of drummer Dan Carle. The song in itself is a decent intro to the album, which lets you know what After the Burial is all about: musicianship. I sound biased, but once you hear that they have broken away from the hardcore trend, you will understand. Anyhow, after a few measures of initial shredding, Anthony gives a taste on vocals. He has very little range, but he has his highs and his middle tones. He seems to fit well with the music.

Everyone asked for it so here it comes: the breakdown. After the Burial brings a new sense to the word, giving the word "crush" a new meaning. Triplets on guitar in drums in groups of four, then three, then four again leaves the picking wrist for guitarists sprained. The staccato sound leaves for a much faster and heavier sound than that of the typical breakdown. They tend to give you something different breakdown-wise in each song on Rareform.

The next track on the album, entitled "Drifts", didn't grab one ounce of my attention until about half way through the song. Here, guitarists let there fingers drift along the fretboard again, with a dueling guitar solo that is slow at first but speeds up as time progresses, with little licks that leave you saying, "Hm, that was pretty cool." After that, the song takes a turn for the worst for about a minute, giving a redundant sound that's almost annoying. Then, After the Burial offers another breakdown. This is one slightly annoying, until the end, where the staccato sound kicks in once again. It almost sounds as if the CD is skipping. One of the weaker songs on the album would have to be "Drifts". You'll never catch me listening to it twice.

"Cursing Akenaten" follows as the third track on the CD, with guitars fading in using repeated harmonies in a Hungarian, or an Egyptian scale (I can't tell the difference from the two). It's an almost alien sound that undeniably different. The lyrics on "Cursing Akenaten" are very metaphorical compared to the juvenile "fuck" every three words from other bands, which sets them apart. "Awaken ruinous fiend of early generations. Your rotting corpse is restored." Obviously they took time to actually think. This is one of the stronger songs on the album, by far. Cursing has earned the band the genre of "Egypticore"-- or "Sumericore"-- rather than your infamous hardcore.

Skip the next track and you come to "Aspirations". This track opens up with really heavy bass, and clean guitars, along with some 80ís style riffing that gives you the idea that youíre about to hear a really soothing song. You thought wrong. ATB get straight into it with an off-kilter breakdown. This leads into an even more fucked up breakdown-- which in turn, leads to an even more fucked up breakdown. But hey, donít you all miss guitar solos in metal? Weíve got 'em right here. Justin Lowe and Trent Hafdahl deliver on "Aspirations" with a back-and-forth dueling solo that extends live to about five full minutes. But the 40-something seconds is good enough for the album.

Thatís all I have for Rareform. Itís an album of talent, and not bullshit. The album has only eight tracks, all of which are different from one-another. I suggest this album to any ďmetal-headĒ who loves something new. Get this album.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
09:22 PM on 01/11/10
JayDanielHammer
solidkneeplus.tumblr.com
User Info.
Great album.

But I would fix your vocalist part.

Nick only recorded their first album. Grant Luoma was the vocalist on the original version of Rareform. This re-release has the 3rd vocalist.

and Drifts is probably the best jam on it
10:00 PM on 01/11/10
satellitesong
Mike
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
ehh, their new vocalist is actually really good. and his range is really good too. hes more of an 8 than a 4.25.
06:30 AM on 01/12/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
The way you talk about how some parts are "annoying" your score doesn't match the review.
07:03 AM on 01/12/10
popdisaster00
Two years is a long time to pretend
User Info.
yeah pretty confusing review here. Why tell people to download it, also?
07:35 AM on 01/12/10
kevinAIWW
boner boner boner boner boner boner
User Info.
Great album.

But I would fix your vocalist part.

Nick only recorded their first album. Grant Luoma was the vocalist on the original version of Rareform. This re-release has the 3rd vocalist.

and Drifts is probably the best jam on it
Thanks dude. the article i read was wrong.
08:44 AM on 01/12/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
ehh, their new vocalist is actually really good. and his range is really good too. hes more of an 8 than a 4.25.
He's very, oh whats the word-- I don't know stuck in his range.
he needs to step outside the box a little.
01:04 PM on 01/12/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
The way you talk about how some parts are "annoying" your score doesn't match the review.
I only said that Drifts had some slightly annoying parts. And my score matches fine.
04:58 PM on 01/12/10
Dystroxia
We found love in a hopeless place
User Info.
A 10 for musicianship?

Damn, they must be impressive in that category.
07:30 PM on 01/15/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
A 10 for musicianship?

Damn, they must be impressive in that category.
Uh. Yeah.. Go give it a go. It's a 10.
01:06 PM on 01/23/10
aggrovated
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Convicted sex offender? Where's your source?
09:45 AM on 02/02/10
PureBlueSF
ur not even pop punk
User Info.
the original version of this album had the worst production i've ever heard, hahaha. the drums literally sounded like someone flicking a light switch on and off while hitting pencils on a desk, and the vocals sounded like someone coughing up nyquil.

the re-issue is a million times better in pretty much every aspect though.
10:19 AM on 02/04/10
Bl00dbath18
FUCK HATERS
User Info.
the original version of this album had the worst production i've ever heard, hahaha. the drums literally sounded like someone flicking a light switch on and off while hitting pencils on a desk, and the vocals sounded like someone coughing up nyquil.

the re-issue is a million times better in pretty much every aspect though.

lol indeed it is
Sumerian is an amazing label
12:17 AM on 02/18/10
iliketosing
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
this is crap!
05:21 AM on 11/12/10
kevinAIWW
User Info.
Convicted sex offender? Where's your source?
Lee. The bassist, told me all about it at Thrash and Burn '08.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests