AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Backseat Goodbye, The - The Wonder EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.75
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Backseat Goodbye, The - The Wonder EP

Reviewed by: npmshah (01/16/10)
Backseat Goodbye The Wonder EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: January 5, 2010

Backseat Goodbye (A.K.A. the one man band of Chad Sugg), it seems, have proven to the world the true benefit of being an unsigned band. Only five years into their career, the band has released twelve quality releases. Such a feat is unheard of from a band hindered by the greedy mindsets of many record labels. The Wonder EP is just another quality release from Backseat Goodbye, and it finds Chad maturing his sound while still staying true to the sugary brand of indie pop that had landed him tours supporting the likes of Rookie of the Year and features in such well known publications as Alternative Press.

This short, five-song EP starts off on a high note with “The Great Unknown.” This song sets the tone and formula that the rest of the EP will follow (acoustic opening, introduction of other instruments, and then the standard verse-chorus-verse), and sets a high bar for the rest of the EP to follow. Unfortunately, “Breakfast Club” fails to follow up the splendor of “The Great Unknown.” While it is clear Sugg is trying to experiment with some new styles in this song, this experiment fails. Horribly. Thankfully, all hope is not lost. Sugg quickly regains the momentum he lost on “Breakfast Club” with the one-two-punch of “New Version of the Old Me” and “Rilo Kiley.” While not special in terms of creativity, the songs are catchy, and would provide a wonderful soundtrack to both snowy and summery days. EP closer “I Like The Future,” while not as strong as the two preceding tracks, is still a fairly above average acoustic pop binge.

The Wonder EP is definitely a maturation of Backseat Goodbye’s sound, but it still contains the charm that has made Sugg’s one-man act a hit in the past. While not wholly consistent or original, this EP is charming and catchy nonetheless. As for myself, this EP should tide me over for a few months, which should be, if history is any indication, when Sugg releases a new Backseat Goodbye effort.

Choice Cuts“New Version Of The Old Me,” “The Great Unknown”

Recommended if You LikeNevershoutnever; Ellington; The Rocket Summer; sugary, pseudo-indie powerpop

www.myspace.com/backseatgoodbye

Track Listing1. The Great Unknown
2. Breakfast Club
3. New Version Of The Old Me
4. Rilo Kiley
5. I Like The Future

Displaying posts 1 - 2 of 2
02:27 PM on 02/11/12
avalmdenyse
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
buy a <a href=http://www.cheap-coach-handbags.org/>coach cheap handbags</a> <a href=http://www.cheap-coach-handbags.org/>coach handbags cheap</a> with low price
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests