AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
AP.net Related News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
AP.net Related
Inside AP.net

Staff Feature: Albums of the Decade (2000-2009)

Posted by: Steve Henderson (01/17/10)
The war is still raging. The music industry of the old is fucked, and they've been since the beginning of the decade. Oh, the glorious .mp3. But, somewhat miraculously, good music manages to wiggle through the corporate bullshit and desperate measures. There are self-released forces of nature, new bands with mind-blowing masterpieces, and an off-the-main-path Internet community that grows bigger with each messageboard post. This decade was ours for the taking, and we took it.

Before you embark on the staff of AP.net's Top Albums of the Decade, there are a couple things you should know. We've recognized how impossible it would be to compile an entire staff list because 1) we're all too argumentative to agree on a top ten and 2) the criteria from staff to staff differs. One of us may look at albums on a communal, all-encompassing scale, and then some of us may prefer the decision to reflect our personal tastes. And let's be honest here, it's not like you'd be surprised to see Deja Entendu on the list, anyway.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 171
07:31 AM on 01/17/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Big thanks to Julia Conny for the intro blurb. Hope you guys like this feature...took a lot of time for all of us to narrow these down.
07:45 AM on 01/17/10
andresr200
let's put that to rest
User Info.
Glad to see The Postal Service in most of the lists. I can't believe Vheissu was ignored . Great lists overall. You should cover the Songs Of The Decade as well.
07:49 AM on 01/17/10
thehereaway
snickers at the swine flu
User Info.
Nice, look forward to reading through these.
07:58 AM on 01/17/10
chordsforacure
Host of the Saint Mort Show!
User Info.
pretty good lists on there, here's my list personally

10. Blood Brothers: Crimes (I bought this CD knowing NOTHING of the Blood Brothers except hearing good things and within the 3rd track I knew I had stumbled upon something beautifully different)

9. fun. - Aim & Ignite (Hands down the best album of the year. It's so smart and well crafted that I think this album will be considered a masterpiece for years to come)

8. Atmosphere - Godlovesugly (It was tough to pick an Atmosphere CD as he is my favorite rapper and while it's not his best effort, it's my personal favorite)

7. Bright Eyes: Lifted or The story is in the soil, Keep your ear to the ground (Bright eyes gets lots of crap and while he's never made what I consider a "perfect" album this is the closest he's ever come)

6. Sigur Ros: Takk... (this CD provided the best writing/studying atmospheric tones possible)

5. The March Hare: Mr. Nimbus (this is the only album by my friend's band. It's a shame their career was so short because I think they could have made some of the most thought provoking and challenging music in years, this album is full of their potential)

4. Jurassic 5: Quality Control (A wonderful blend of hip-hop and jazz take just leaves you smiling every listen)

3. Norah Jones: Come Away With me (My senior year of high school, I would drive around listening to his album constantly. I consider it the greatest modern jazz album of the decade)

2. The Streets: Original Pirate Material (When I watched MTV late at night and the Let's Push Things Forward video came on, it blew my mind. The debut by the streets is still their best effort, however their newest release of Everything Is Borrowed is a close second place)

1. The Format: Dog Problems (My favorite album of all time... with so many various genre and elements ranging from circus organs to dixieland bands Dog Problems paints a beautiful musical picture as a juxtaposition of the depressing lyrics hidden inside)
08:00 AM on 01/17/10
aloneatlastnj
just a quiet evening
User Info.
wow. absolutely no love for further seems forever or hot water music.
08:02 AM on 01/17/10
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.

10. Blood Brothers: Crimes (I bought this CD knowing NOTHING of the Blood Brothers except hearing good things and within the 3rd track I knew I had stumbled upon something beautifully different)

9. fun. - Aim & Ignite (Hands down the best album of the year. It's so smart and well crafted that I think this album will be considered a masterpiece for years to come)

8. Atmosphere - Godlovesugly (It was tough to pick an Atmosphere CD as he is my favorite rapper and while it's not his best effort, it's my personal favorite)

7. Bright Eyes: Lifted or The story is in the soil, Keep your ear to the ground (Bright eyes gets lots of crap and while he's never made what I consider a "perfect" album this is the closest he's ever come)

6. Sigur Ros: Takk... (this CD provided the best writing/studying atmospheric tones possible)

5. The March Hare: Mr. Nimbus (this is the only album by my friend's band. It's a shame their career was so short because I think they could have made some of the most thought provoking and challenging music in years, this album is full of their potential)

4. Jurassic 5: Quality Control (A wonderful blend of hip-hop and jazz take just leaves you smiling every listen)

3. Norah Jones: Come Away With me (My senior year of high school, I would drive around listening to his album constantly. I consider it the greatest modern jazz album of the decade)

2. The Streets: Original Pirate Material (When I watched MTV late at night and the Let's Push Things Forward video came on, it blew my mind. The debut by the streets is still their best effort, however their newest release of Everything Is Borrowed is a close second place)

1. The Format: Dog Problems (My favorite album of all time... with so many various genre and elements ranging from circus organs to dixieland bands Dog Problems paints a beautiful musical picture as a juxtaposition of the depressing lyrics hidden inside)

Crimes unleashes my inner beast.
08:06 AM on 01/17/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.

Good call on The Streets...Original Pirate Material is a brilliant record.
08:15 AM on 01/17/10
Wisher
eh
User Info.
dog fucking problems.
08:16 AM on 01/17/10
TriangularDuck
we will set sail the prairie
User Info.
dog fucking problems.
there's people you can see for that.
08:29 AM on 01/17/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Can't wait to look through this! My top albums of the decade can be found here.
08:43 AM on 01/17/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Mr. Tate didn't make one?

Julia's number one is EEEEEEEEPIC. It was from AP.net posts (lurking) that I finally gave Death Cab a listen. And I'm really glad I did.

EDIT: Just found out almost everyone had Trans in their lists. Haha. Whoa.

Mr Fallon putting Anhedonia on the list is awesome! I'm glad it got recognition.

my list would've placed Decomposer at number one, and then randomly Volcano, Commit This To Memory, I'm Wide Awake It's Morning, Transatlanticism, Dog Problems, Stay What You Are, Forget What You Know, Blue Skies Broken Hearts and the Next 12 Exits, ...Is A Real Boy, and Whatever People Say I Am That's What I'm Not. 11 records.

But to be honest, I haven't listened to that many records to even create a legit list. Just wanted to put a list. It looked fun. And it was.
08:48 AM on 01/17/10
stereokiller
Howdy.
User Info.
Can't wait to look through this! My top albums of the decade can be found here.
that's a lot of meWithoutYou's on your list. haha.
08:49 AM on 01/17/10
Finch076
I don't actually listen to 'Finch'
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
1. Joanna Newsom - Y's
2. Bright Eyes - Lifted or the Story is in the Soil....
3. Bright Eyes - Fevers and Mirrors
4. Her Space Holiday - The Young Machines
5. Patrick Wolf - Lycanthropy

But, seriously, Joanna Newsom's 'Y's' wins by a long-shot....
08:49 AM on 01/17/10
Wisher
eh
User Info.
there's people you can see for that.

haha. i rather like this lifestyle.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives