AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 7.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 7.75
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.81
Musicianship 8.69
Lyrics 8.63
Production 9.25
Creativity 8.94
Lasting Value 8.81
Reviewer Tilt 8.81
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life

Reviewed by: masterchiefx12 (01/17/10)
Motion City Soundtrack - My Dinosaur Life
Record Label: Columbia
Release Date: January 19, 2009

2010 looks to be a good year for Motion City Soundtrack.

I first heard Motion City Soundtrack on the 2005 Nintendo Fusion Tour. Needless to say, I had to backtrack in order to appreciate the band's tenacity. "My Favorite Accident," "Make Out Kids," and "The Future Freaks Me Out" immediately hit my iPod; I don't think they've left. Most fans would be worried about their favorite band making the transition from popular indie label Epitaph to a major label like Columbia. Most fans would.

Produced by Mark Hoppus, My Dinosaur Life has been in the making for over a year. Twelve months ago, drummer Tony Thaxton broke his right arm, delaying the recording process. According to motioncitysoundtrack.com, the setback gave the group a chance to reevaluate some of their songs, as well as write new ones. The result is a twelve track tour de force with almost forty minutes of synth, guitar, and range.

The album explodes to life about twenty-five seconds into the first track, "Worker Bee." With a reluctant, self-asserting introduction, MCS invites the listener to accompany the eusocial insect on a journey through contradictory lyrics. "A Lifeless Ordinary (Need a Little Help)" contributes humility via overlying bridge harmony and a hook that takes fans back to Commit This To Memory. Loyal fans have already heard "Her Words Destroyed My Planet"—- the music video is showcased on the bands website (motioncitysoundtrack.com)—- which picks up exactly where Even If It Kills Me left off. The first single, "Disappear," takes a mild leap, even while remaining true to the band's synth-pop signature sound. Something resembling Bayside escapes, revealing a sort of confusing sense of rejection-— a familiar MCS topic-—narrated over an alternative chord progression. The song works, but seems almost foreign. The most surprising gem is "Delirium." The Presidents of the United States of America first came to mind (very few bands could sing about a stain on the floor or caterpillars raining from the ceiling), but the chorus rings true of any other MCS song: pure pop-rock.

Other standouts include "History Lesson" and the happier "Stand Too Close," which incorporates the band's signature bubblegum pop while exposing an acoustic talent that this band no longer appears afraid of. "Pulp Fiction" will hit like a freight train; originally a heavy drum pattern created by bassist/backing vocalist Matt Taylor, this song won't likely be on any of the setlists this spring—- it takes too many keyboards to perform. Lead singer/songwriter Justin Pierre admits that the electronic-driven track has no ties to Quentin Tarantino, but it will probably be just as confusing.

Louder, faster, angrier tracks, like "@!#?@!" and "Hysteria" are also reminiscent of CTTM. It's a tough one to call; will fans embrace the constant dynamic, or will they reject this new effort? Put simply: if you enjoyed Even If It Kills Me, then you'll love My Dinosaur Life. Is it Hoppus' influence, or a mature pop-rock group? Who cares? As one of the few bands that stray very far from their trademark sound, Motion City Soundtrack fans will wear this album out in a matter of days.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
10:11 PM on 01/25/10
newfoundmichael
@SirDaveyBoy
User Info.
There were moments on this album where Justin's vocals sounded more raw and natural as well. Slightly off key, but it wasn't a bad thing. Even If It Kills Me was way to polished for me, and this was a great step back in the right direction. Nice review too, man.
11:38 PM on 01/25/10
djsclaus
www.brandonmarshall.net
User Info.
I love this album. EIIKM was nice, but this has more of an older sound to it. And old MCS is good MCS
03:17 AM on 01/26/10
Brandao
There's just this thing about you..
User Info.
this album is awesome. They did it! Can't stop listening to MDL now.
03:39 AM on 01/26/10
spooky2k
'something witty'
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
This and EIIKM are easily their best albums. The other albums have some better songs, but they don't feel 'complete'.
06:38 AM on 01/26/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
This and EIIKM are easily their best albums. The other albums have some better songs, but they don't feel 'complete'.
No way. "Commit This to Memory" for the easy win.
07:41 AM on 01/26/10
Charblarger
User Info.
First play through it was a Meh. I went back to it yesterday and fell in love
08:08 AM on 01/26/10
Schmidty Says
Bitch Better Have My Honey!
User Info.
" if you enjoyed Even If It Kills Me, then you'll love My Dinosaur Life."

Really? My Dinosaur Life sounds nothing like Even If It Kills Me. I'm not going to say I hated EIIKM, but I wasn't it's biggest supporter. My Dinosaur Life is the album that should have followed up Commit This To Memory.
08:42 AM on 01/26/10
ZoSo1886
www.twitter.com/jamesbenedictnj
User Info.
This album is a growth from CTTM because Mark Hoppus worked on both albums. EIIKM was a good album, but MDL was the next logical step for this band. They even said they wanted a darker, more rock version of CTTM and used Hoppus to achieve that
09:33 AM on 01/26/10
threepunchjim
the enemy is everywhere
User Info.
My Dinosaur Life > Commit This to Memory > Even if It Kills Me > I Am the Movie
12:42 PM on 01/26/10
Mochem
User Info.
Nice review. Could have used some negative points though.
And History Lesson is hardly a standout track for most people.
12:57 PM on 01/26/10
Matt's Garage
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Still waiting on the vinyl pre-order. Anybody get it yet?
04:21 PM on 01/26/10
starletstela
User Info.
I can't stop listening to "My Dinosaur Life!" I love "Pulp Fiction," but it is definitely hard to pick a favorite song. Still a huge fan of "I Am the Movie." :)
05:03 PM on 01/26/10
fearthesloths
blown from the hinge
User Info.
honestly i think that "Worker Bee" is one of the most raw, emotional and best songs MCS have ever written. by far their best opener.

love this album more with each listen.
05:38 PM on 01/26/10
Holly HoX!
User Info.
My Dinosaur Life > Commit This to Memory > Even if It Kills Me > I Am the Movie
hahaha! that's rich.

this is a really fun record from the hometown boys.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums