AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
From Cities To Oceans - Arrivals, Delays, &... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.75
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.25
Musicianship 6.42
Lyrics 6.42
Production 6.33
Creativity 6.42
Lasting Value 6.42
Reviewer Tilt 6.42
Average: 64%
Inside AP.net

From Cities To Oceans - Arrivals, Delays, &...

Reviewed by: Kbm600 (01/19/10)
From Cities To Oceans - Arrivals, Delays, & Departures
Record Label: Self-Released
Release Date: August, 15, 2009

It's hard to pinpoint exactly what makes From Cities To Oceansí latest album, Arrivals, Delays, & Departures such an endearing album. Between their creative arrangement of indie rock with samplings of post-rock esque guitars and a more than a handful of beautiful piano arranges with a well thought-out story that shines through vocalist Tristan Dolce's pleasant voice, From Cities To Oceans has gone the extra mile to ensure that listeners will have more to hear with every spin given to this album.

The record itself is separated into three different sections that each tells their own story in the perspective of a man who takes his journey from breaking from a relationship to moving on with hopes of rekindling a past love. While the story itself isn't groundbreaking and probably has been seen before, the three parts each contain three songs filled with poetic lyrics that really shine with Dolce's voice. However, despite the charm some may possess for an album fueled by a concept or story, the average listener could hear the entire album and miss the three sections entirely. There simply isn't great indicator that the album is even split up this way let alone surrounds an elaborate story.

The opening track "Fire & Water" begins with a bombastic opening of vibrant guitars and a background of the aforementioned post-rock tinged guitars that eventually open up to Dolce's graceful voice taking the center stage. It is a prime example of From Cities To Oceansí great talent of a grand and dramatic sound contrasting with quieter and more intricate moments. While they might be thrown a few foolish allegations of ripping off Death cab For Cutie's work here and there due to similarities and although it is undeniable that the quiet acoustics of "Lou...Give Me A Milk" could be a Death Cab track in the making, From Cities To Oceans gives their unique spin on every song. . Regardless of how similar they might be, it's the little aspects and attributes to each song that give Arrivals, Delays, & Departures an original sound. Whether it's the delightful appearance of a harmonica on "Lou...Give Me A Milk" or the haunting opening of "The Tempest" with a delicate piano tune is placed alongside another post-rock guitar appearance.

While each track contains something to love musically about Arrivals, Delays, & Departures, whether it's the simple charm of the foot tapping beat of "The Tempest" or the dramatic piano of "Hold Fast", lyrically is where the flow of the album truly shines. "Catching Tigers In Red Weather", the closing track, features Dolce singing of wounds that won't repair, "I'm swept back out to sea, the red weather peaks, and I realized that our blood and bones won't heal." There is a grace to how Dolce allows this dramatic tale they have created flow through his words, even if it is done in a slightly ambiguous way. Sure, one could call this a string of Death Cab For Cutie b-sides and be done with it, but they would only be robbing themselves of a great record. The comparisons aside, Tristan Dolce does wonders with his voice alongside his band mates and provides a great medium for their story to be told through.

The production of the album is consistent throughout. Everything from Hoser Rodriguez's to stellar drum work to the ever present piano sounds natural and thankfully lacks any over-polished feeling that would diminish its charm. It's a delicate balance that From Cities To Oceans thankfully manages to achieve.

From Cities To Oceans should have nothing but absolute promise waiting for them after this record. It's filled with originality and a dramatic tint that is a pleasure to experience. If you've been missing Transatlanticism or Plans and you've been looking for a record that'll allow you to relive some of the experiences you had with those albums, you'll do no wrong in listening to Arrivals, Delays, & Departures.

From Cities To Oceans isTristan Dolce - Vox/Piano/Guitar
Russell Feldt - Bass
Hoser Rodriguez - Drums/Percussion
Jason Sibucao - Guitar/Vocals

Recommended If You LikeDeath Cab For Cutie; Copeland; Moneen

www.myspace.com/fromcitiestooceans

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
01:09 PM on 01/26/10
raychull
I've Been Forgotten & So Have You
User Info.
Great review, as per usual. Still need to listen to these guys >_<
Spot on description of what I Have heard by them though.
02:34 PM on 01/26/10
decodeyoutokyo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, as per usual. Still need to listen to these guys >_<
Spot on description of what I Have heard by them though.
^Give em a listen. You won't be disappointing.
12:29 PM on 02/02/10
oarg89
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review, great album,great sound= I love this album
04:19 PM on 06/13/10
godsavethescene
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Quote:
While they might be thrown a few foolish allegations of ripping off Death cab For Cutie's work here and there due to similarities and although it is undeniable that the quiet acoustics of "Lou...Give Me A Milk" could be a Death Cab track in the making, From Cities To Oceans gives their unique spin on every song. Regardless of how similar they might be, it's the little aspects and attributes to each song that give Arrivals, Delays, & Departures an original sound.

If you call "original" and a "unique spin on every song" changing one or two parameters on what I'm assuming are multiple Line 6 DL4 pedals and playing a riff by Death Cab For Cutie, Mae, or Minus The Bear in a different key with a few notes changed around and quite possibly a different time signature, then I completely agree with this review.
03:23 PM on 07/07/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
If you call "original" and a "unique spin on every song" changing one or two parameters on what I'm assuming are multiple Line 6 DL4 pedals and playing a riff by Death Cab For Cutie, Mae, or Minus The Bear in a different key with a few notes changed around and quite possibly a different time signature, then I completely agree with this review.
While their sound may be heavily based on Death Cab's, I think the variations of different techniques they developed and used across the album was enough for me to deem it unique. If you disagree, then that's your opinion.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums