AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Various Artists - Sound of Superman Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 0.25
Creativity 0.25
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 0.25
Final Verdict: 3%
Member Ratings
Production 4
Creativity 2.75
Lasting Value 3.25
Reviewer Tilt 2.13
Average: 30%

Various Artists - Sound of Superman

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (07/10/06)
Various Artists - Sound of Superman
Release Date: June 13, 2006
Record Label: Rhino Records

Adjusted Overall Score: [2.1/10]

A soundtrack of music “inspired by the movie” is actually supposed to have some sort of inspirational aspect at its most base level. Unfortunately, Sound of Superman not only swings and misses nearly a dozen times on fourteen tracks, it fails to inspire me to get off my lazy ass and even go watch the movie (which is really what the soundtrack is intended to do, right?).

Leading off with an R.E.M. cover titled “I Am Superman” by The Academy Is, this disc is doomed for failure from the very start. Even the most enthusiastic fans of the band will be bored to tears by the band's attempt at this song. It is near impossible to distinguish oft-charismatic frontman William Beckett from any other contemporary of his in this song, and even the lyrics are nearly as boring as that horrendous Yellowcard song we saw earlier this year called “Down on My Head,” and the song is executed in a similar manner. While we are on the topic of boring me to tears, let’s move right along to Plain White T’s “It’s So Easy.” This song comes off whiny and petulant and is about as skippable as they come. Motion City Soundtrack tries their hand at this soundtrack with a song called “The Worst Part.” Far from the rocking out we are used to, the average mixing of this CD keeps Justin Pierre’s usually commanding vocals from truly standing tall.

With even some of the scene’s biggest bands mired in mediocrity, isn’t this Andrew McMahon’s turn to save the world? On the second half of the soundtrack, Jack’s Mannequin offers “Meet Me At My Window.” Again, fitting that decidedly average sound, it does not do much to stand out. That’s thoroughly disappointing for an artist whose B-sides were possibly better than some album tracks on many "Top 10 of 2005" albums. The Receiving End of Sirens keeps up that awe-inspiring dreck with the fantastically originally titled “Superman.” This is the most likely song to fall asleep to. TREOS tried to cram too many layers into a barely one-dimensional song and it turns out sounding as if someone ran my speaker over with a semi and then tried to play the song. Skip like you've never skipped before. Paramore pulls off the blasphemous Foo Fighters cover with “My Hero,” and it is one of the lone standouts on Sound of Superman. Hayley Williams will be one of the songstresses of our generation for a long time, and her versatility continues to surprise me. Not even a decent cut from Maxeen and an extremely versatile “(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman” from The Sun will save this soundtrack from the bargain bins of America.

The simplest way to say this is that 11 out of 14 songs on the Sound of Superman soundtrack are pure, unadulterated crap. I am deeply distressed that some of these bands would even consent to have their names associated with songs of such a low caliber as these. The songs chosen are putrid, disgusting, and impossibly weak showings from bands I otherwise love to listen to. As such, I guarantee I will rarely listen to this soundtrack again, and then only for the songs by Paramore, Maxeen, and The Sun (and the occasional play from Jack’s Mannequin). If you buy this soundtrack, you deserve every bit of musical misfortune that befalls you. Yes, it is that terrible. Consider filing a restraining order against this disc, because not even Superman can save you once you’ve paid for it.

Buy the Sound of Superman soundtrack on iTunes

Track List01. The Academy Is - "I Am Superman" (The Clique/R.E.M. cover)
02. Plain White T's - "It's So Easy"
03. The Sun - "(Wish I Could Fly Like) Superman" (The Kinks cover)
04. Motion City Soundtrack - "The Worst Part"
05. The Films - "Sunshine Superman" (Donovan cover)
06. Maxeen - "Save Me"
07. Paramore - "My Hero" (Foo Fighters cover)
08. American Hi-Fi - "The Rescue"
09. The Spill Canvas - "Saved"
10. Jack's Mannequin - "Meet Me At My Window"
11. Nightmare of You - "Waiting For A Superman" (The Flaming Lips cover)
12. The Receiving End of Sirens - "Superman" (Stereophonics cover)
13. Royal - "Brainiac's Daughter" (Dukes of Stratosphear cover)
14. Sara Routh - "You're Never Gone"

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 58
10:26 PM on 07/10/06
shane hennessey
www.itakebandphotos.com
User Info.
i think the treos song is amazing, i dont care for the rest of the cd. compared to the original song by the stereophonics, treos did a tremendous job
10:28 PM on 07/10/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by shane hennessey
i think the treos song is amazing, i dont care for the rest of the cd. compared to the original song by the stereophonics, treos did a tremendous job
Cover a crappy one-dimensional song, and get a one-dimensional song that sounds bad (even for this soundtrack). I'm still not convinced :)
10:31 PM on 07/10/06
ACA
Next Show: Braid/GreatBigPileLeaves
User Info.
Jack's Mannequin bsides are some of Andrew's worst material.

The eleven songs on EIT are light years ahead of any of the other songs, except Lights and Buzz which is a lot better than the other bsides. Not to hate on the material, because I love JM, but the selection for EIT was 120% accurate.

-ACA
10:32 PM on 07/10/06
myjokesmakeucry
i always bet it all
User Info.
i have not heard but i am pretty sure that the academy is song is not original, i believe its an rem cover
10:33 PM on 07/10/06
BehindACamera
is your biological father
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
Paramore pulls off the blasphemous Foo Fighters cover with “My Hero,”

how could Paramore pull off the cover and be blasphemous at the same time?
10:36 PM on 07/10/06
ThankQ4DVenom
graphic & web designer
User Info.
i enjoyed paramores cover

hayley pwns
10:37 PM on 07/10/06
bigal00004
Designs stuff
User Info.
Originally Posted by myjokesmakeucry
i have not heard but i am pretty sure that the academy is song is not original, i believe its an rem cover
I'm pretty sure you're right. And I think the Motion City song is great, as is the Spill Canvas song. Overall, I don't think this soundtrack is as bad as its being made out to be here.
10:39 PM on 07/10/06
Pat Marquez
User Info.
Gross, I do not want to hear Paramore butcher an amazing song by The Foo Fighters. There is no way in hell that cover is any good.
10:39 PM on 07/10/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by BehindACamera
how could Paramore pull off the cover and be blasphemous at the same time?
Because I've heard about 20 people say to me "Oh my god, Paramore covered Foo Fighters? How dare they?!!!!!" Hence the "blasphemous."
10:40 PM on 07/10/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
11. Nightmare of You - "Waiting For A Superman"

Do you realize that song was on there, correct?

Hah. Sorry, I'm being a dick.
10:41 PM on 07/10/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by ACA
Jack's Mannequin bsides are some of Andrew's worst material.

The eleven songs on EIT are light years ahead of any of the other songs, except Lights and Buzz which is a lot better than the other bsides. Not to hate on the material, because I love JM, but the selection for EIT was 120% accurate.

-ACA
No, I meant that his b-sides were better than songs on top albums of last year (not EIT, which was near-flawless). I edited for clarity. They're still below the songs on EIT, but I'd put them up against some songs that were on albums I rated as "really good" last year.
10:46 PM on 07/10/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Updated with all cover info. I judged all songs based on how they sounded, not how they sounded in relation to the original.
10:49 PM on 07/10/06
mogwaifearsatan
feels good man
User Info.
Yeah, the TREOS song is great. One of Casey's best vocal performances on that one.
10:55 PM on 07/10/06
A000lex
Stay On My Side Tonight
User Info.
I enjoyed the Motion City Soundtrack and The Spill Canvas songs.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests