AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Random News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Paper: The Economics of Selling Versus Renting Music

Posted by - 11:32 AM on 07/12/06
Taken from Coolfer: "If you're in the mood to download a 42-page PDF, check out this paper by University of Bristol economist Thierry Rayna on the economics of selling versus renting music.

Rayna's paper covers durable goods, problems with DRM systems, the reason behind the rental strategy (switching costs) and the argument that selling companies (like iTunes) aren't in competition with the renters (like Rhapsody), but rather with CD sellers.

(Via Digital Audio Insider)"

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 16
12:01 PM on 07/12/06
LilRyan732
Token Blackie
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Renting music? Aahhahahahahahhahaa.
12:02 PM on 07/12/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by LilRyan732
Renting music? Aahhahahahahahhahaa.

Renting music = stuff like Rhapsody
12:13 PM on 07/12/06
GetUpNotGhetto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
how does that work...renting music?
12:19 PM on 07/12/06
iheartmariokart
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
does that mean programs that you pay for the service, get as much music as you want and when you stop paying the music is embedded so you can't listen anymore?
12:21 PM on 07/12/06
.Dylan
I'm a Gargoyle
User Info.
You pay a monthly fee and can download as much as you want. You only have access to the music as long as you pay the fee though.

I think that's how it works.
12:26 PM on 07/12/06
FarPastGone
Favors The Brave
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by iheartmariokart
does that mean programs that you pay for the service, get as much music as you want and when you stop paying the music is embedded so you can't listen anymore?
Yep. I tryed Rhapsody for a month, cancelling was a bitch, but you were able to burn the cds you download through the actual program so I guess you could technically keep the music after you stop paying for the program just not on your computer.
12:35 PM on 07/12/06
Of Machines
brings teh awesome.
User Info.
a lot of schools have programs like this. Mine lets me download as much as i want but theyre all encrypted WMAs and the only way to play them without a license is to dub the audio into mp3 which is a bitch to do. Basically you can play as much as you want on your computer but cant put them on cds, ipods, etc. Without a license, youre screwed. Some programs let you have a limited number of plays per month or just clips of audio and stuff...its all legal mumbo jumbo...BS if you ask me.
01:15 PM on 07/12/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by apm158
yeah this shit all sucks

just buy cds, you fuckers

buying cds > buying digital bullshit

Getting music for free > Buying CDs

That's why we have this problem in the first place =P In a world where it's more convenient to get something for free than to purchase it, what do you expect people to do?
01:31 PM on 07/12/06
Rxbandit22
1,2,3 skank
User Info.
^^ You listen to Limp Bizkit.
YOUR MUSIC SUCKS. ^^
01:55 PM on 07/12/06
Tony
Fuckface Extraordinaire
User Info.
Originally Posted by FarPastGone
Yep. I tryed Rhapsody for a month, cancelling was a bitch, but you were able to burn the cds you download through the actual program so I guess you could technically keep the music after you stop paying for the program just not on your computer.
Couldn't you just burn the songs to CDs and then rip them back to mp3s sans-DRM? I'd assume there's some quality loss there, but how much would depend on the bitrate and format of the files services like Rhapsody use.
02:44 PM on 07/12/06
FarPastGone
Favors The Brave
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Yes
02:46 PM on 07/12/06
YourMusicSucks
True Punk Fan
User Info.
Originally Posted by Rxbandit22
^^ You listen to Limp Bizkit.
YOUR MUSIC SUCKS. ^^

Haha, I've been waiting for someone to call me out on something shitty in my recently played.

I apologize.
03:44 PM on 07/12/06
lava890
User Info.
Yahoo Music is the coolest thing. It has almost everything talked about on this site and it's so cheap each month.
03:33 PM on 07/13/06
iheartmariokart
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Originally Posted by apm158
buying cds > buying digital bullshit

If i REALLY like a band, i like having a hardcopy of the cd. $10 at Best Buy or target is not that expensive, if not just for the convenience of not having to search or wait for those of us with shitty internet connections.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos