Password

Album Review

Sienna Skies - Truest Of Colours Album Cover

Sienna Skies - Truest Of Colours

Reviewed by
Sienna Skies - Truest Of Colours
Record Label: New Justice Records
Release Date: December 5, 2009
Following up their debut EP, Where Joy Exists Despair Beckons, Sydney 6-piece Sienna Skies further establish their name and the presence of a post-hardcore scene in Australia with their full length, Truest Of Colours.

With the inclusion of Matthew Wells on keys, Sienna Skies have quickly taken to a heavy electronic input on Truest Of Colours. Though this is nothing new in post-hardcore in this day and age, it doesn’t become overwhelming as it often does when used tactlessly. Wells’ keys and samples are introduced to the listener in the opening ambient track, “Commence”, and are tastefully intertwined with the three guitarists to supply a busy soundscape behind the massive vocals of Steven Faull throughout the album.

Sienna Skies don’t waste any time showing what they’re about with Truest Of Colours, with “Worth It?” promptly setting the pace. Straight-forward song structure, catchy lyrics and anthemic gang vocals make for a high energy atmosphere which is held throughout the majority of the album, and is sure to please crowds when they hit the stage. “Heartquake!” contains more of the same, clocking in at a short two and a half minutes for all the hardcore kids with short attention spans.

“Sea Of Smiles” takes on a slower, catchier, chugging rhythm, and is a standout track from the album. Containing timely use of vocals sung, yelled and screamed, some impressive drum lines and a constant barrage of guitar riffs, the track shows a little deviation and creativity from the opening tracks, and closes with epic, wailing keys just to make sure it’s explored all facets of the band’s abilities.

Tracks such as “Laughing Time is Over” and “Part With Pride” take in aspects of metalcore more so than post-hardcore, with heavier guitar work taking charge over some of the more intricate lines in other songs. Keys have a greater influence in these songs to keep anything from sounding too dark and foreboding, whilst keeping the energy levels high in typical Sienna Skies fashion.

It becomes obvious that there isn’t a lot of variation in Truest Of Colours, but through their tried and true formula, they proves consistency and persistence often pays off. The album they have produced contains twelve crisp, clean cuts of the music Sienna Skies are about; whether they sound similar or not doesn’t take away from the energy and obvious passion which is the real key to their sound.

Another choice track, “To All Aspiring”, particularly shows the variation which Sienna Skies briefly display. A song full of clean vocals and punk inspired drumming quickly turns into what could be mistaken for something one might expect from A Day to Remember, with gang shouts between pop-punk guitar riffs, only to be followed by a heavy but slow hitting onslaught, with Faull’s vocals sounding more passionate than ever. It’s the moments which you don’t expect that make the album worth listening, each surprise being well placed and executed.

Closing with “Breathe”, the tough exterior of Sienna Skies is shed to put Faull’s clean vocals on display, along with some acoustic guitar work and the band trying their hardest to sing clean, harmonic group vocals. The track feels honest and sincere, though it’s a little out of place. Nevertheless, the track fits well enough when listened throughout and provides a touching closure to the album.

Truest Of Colours is a solid release from the Sydney post-hardcore band, and though it’s a little repetitive, Sienna Skies are an impressionable force on the younger generation of Australia with their relentless tour regime and readiness to perform all-ages shows. They may not be groundbreaking, but they sure know how to play what they want to, and this album should be a fantastic launching pad for them and Australian post-hardcore into the international scene.

Recommended If You Likethe energy of pop-punk ala A Day to Remember mixed with synth-inclusive post-hardcore

MySpace
This review is a user submitted review from bolgy99. You can see all of bolgy99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
12:26 AM on 02/13/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
just picked this up, i couldnt help get strong similarities to bands liek attack attack! and sky eats airplane, im sure im not the only one who noticed it, but much like this cd, i throughly enjoy this review.
01:18 AM on 02/13/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
just picked this up, i couldnt help get strong similarities to bands liek attack attack! and sky eats airplane, im sure im not the only one who noticed it, but much like this cd, i throughly enjoy this review.
Yeah I see the similarites in what they do, I just think it's done a little more tastefully than Attack Attack! (though I've only heard one song) and didn't want to draw that comparison. Sky Eats Airplane is probably a better comparison.
01:37 AM on 02/13/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
"They may not be groundbreaking, but they sure know how to play what they want to"
Definetely agreed.

Not the most original but still very enjoyable all the same
06:09 PM on 02/13/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
Yeah I see the similarites in what they do, I just think it's done a little more tastefully than Attack Attack! (though I've only heard one song) and didn't want to draw that comparison. Sky Eats Airplane is probably a better comparison.
i absolutely agree, 'Laughing time is over' almost sounds like its a enter shikari b-side (not to say the song is second rate at all)
12:31 PM on 03/18/10
xtsukiyamax
Little Fockers.
User Info.
love this band. love the music although its generic.
11:32 PM on 06/08/10
JTDultimate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
They put on an awesome live show even though they are a little bit generic. It's difficult being different in this genre though.
04:55 PM on 07/18/11
Niko John
Space Cowboy
User Info.
It may be generic but it's still a good listen :)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos