AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jeff the Brotherhood - Heavy Days Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 6.5
Musicianship 8
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7.25
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.5
Final Verdict: 73%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 9.25
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Average: 87%

Jeff the Brotherhood - Heavy Days

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (02/01/10)
Jeff the Brotherhood - Heavy Days
Record Label: Infinity Cat
Release Date: Jan. 5, 2010

Who? 

Jeff the Brotherhood is a two-piece Nashville band consisting of singer/guitarist Jake Orrall and drummer/brother Jamin Orrall. Heavy Days is the band's debut.

How is it?
Interesting. Despite their horrible band name, Jeff the Brotherhood actually perform a skilled version of hazy, psychedelic garage-punk that's dense, dark and fuzzy. With thick reverb, barely audible vocals and a dizzying slew of herky-jerky guitar tones, this is a disc not for the faint of heart. The album's first four songs are full-on, aural assaults with a frothy core that's both startling and successful. Heavy Days' early half spins and careens like an acid trip while Orrall mumbles along about the ups and downs of life. And though the band does stumble from time to time ("Growing) Heavy Days is not without its peaks. On should-be single "The Tropics," the band illustrates their diversity as they tackle a catchy chorus and carefree zest that one wishes the band would chase down more frequently.

The instrumental "Heavy Krishna" is another peak, as is successor, "Bone Jam," which despite its horrendous title is a a strange amalgamation of Brian Wilson California pop and funereal Seattle grunge. The razor-sharp guitarwork of album closer "Pleasure Centre" proves that the Orall brothers are far from mindless hacks tearing away at their instruments. Even with its hiccups, Heavy Days is still a somewhat captivating listen. Boasting a hypnotic drum cadence and copious amounts of wah-wah pedal, Jeff the Brotherhood certainly has glimmers of potential. It's just a shame those glimmers sparkle so few and far between.

Track Listing 1. Heavy Days
2. U Got the Look
3. Growing
4. Heavy Damage
5. The Tropics
6. Heavy Krishna
7. Bone Jam
8. Dreamscape
9. Mind Ride
10. Pleasure Centre

Recommended If You Like Japandroids, Disappears, 70s punk, countless garage-rock acts

Find Them Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 7 of 7
01:42 PM on 02/01/10
brettrsd
User Info.
When i first saw this on the thread, I was excited to see maybe this site give this band some acknowledgement. But you've obviously missed the point with Jeff. First off, they've been around for a few years, and the release Castle Storm was more or less their debut. If you see them live you would know what they are all about. They are a musically tight and energetic band live, and they represent more than how they present themselves. This ablum deserves a much better rating. They are on tour and everyone should check them out. Also Heavy Days came out a few months ago, and their name kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAsus6juDPc
05:00 AM on 02/02/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
When i first saw this on the thread, I was excited to see maybe this site give this band some acknowledgement. But you've obviously missed the point with Jeff. First off, they've been around for a few years, and the release Castle Storm was more or less their debut. If you see them live you would know what they are all about. They are a musically tight and energetic band live, and they represent more than how they present themselves. This ablum deserves a much better rating. They are on tour and everyone should check them out. Also Heavy Days came out a few months ago, and their name kicks ass.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OAsus6juDPc
Well that wasn't at all impartial.
09:41 PM on 02/07/10
yellorubberhead
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well that wasn't at all impartial.
its unfair to talk about being impartial when your review, more than once, criticizes the names chosen for the band and its songs. i want to read about what you thought of the material not the titles attached to it, it just seems like unnecessary and irrelevant criticism. after all, what's in a name?
05:00 AM on 02/08/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
its unfair to talk about being impartial when your review, more than once, criticizes the names chosen for the band and its songs. i want to read about what you thought of the material not the titles attached to it, it just seems like unnecessary and irrelevant criticism. after all, what's in a name?
Get over yourself. I criticized one song title and the band name. If you take the time to read the review, you'll see I'm actually quite complimentary in more than a few places.
02:43 PM on 02/11/10
goldrush
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I have to say that I agree with the first two comments. I'll be more likely to take your review to heart if you seem informed (Release date: October 13, 2009) and a bit more professional (adjectives like horrendous and horrible are a bit extreme and don't really tell me anything about the music).

I do think the rest of your review is a fair summary of the album. Although, the Tropics as a single? It's the song that stands out the most on the record and, while I can see the logic of it being a single, seems to be one of the less engaging songs. Either way, I'm glad you gave it thought. These guys deserve to be heard. (From the looks of their myspace they tour all the time!)

I do highly recommend that all who are interested in this album see the Brotherhood live. They have a stage presence that, every time I have seen them, brings the crowd to an undeniable and energetic breaking point (in a positive way). It is a feat that seems hard to come by these days.
02:49 PM on 02/11/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I have to say that I agree with the first two comments. I'll be more likely to take your review to heart if you seem informed (Release date: October 13, 2009) and a bit more professional (adjectives like horrendous and horrible are a bit extreme and don't really tell me anything about the music).

I do think the rest of your review is a fair summary of the album. Although, the Tropics as a single? It's the song that stands out the most on the record and, while I can see the logic of it being a single, seems to be one of the less engaging songs. Either way, I'm glad you gave it thought. These guys deserve to be heard. (From the looks of their myspace they tour all the time!)

I do highly recommend that all who are interested in this album see the Brotherhood live. They have a stage presence that, every time I have seen them, brings the crowd to an undeniable and energetic breaking point (in a positive way). It is a feat that seems hard to come by these days.
I called the band name and a song horrendous and horrible. Never once were those words used to describe the music. Good grief.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests