AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

AP.net Related News
Have a news tip? Submit news.

Weekly Nostalgia: Samiam

Posted by - 01:39 AM on 02/03/10
Coming out of Berkeley, California in the late '80's, Samiam helped spark a craze that fused alternative college rock with punk ethics, fastening their legitimacy onto the '90's indie music scene with several well-received records (Clumsy, You Are Freaking Me Out). While they never reached the mainstream level of success they hoped to achieve after releasing two major-label efforts, the band had a devoted following until quietly ending things in 2000. The group did reform in 2006, however, for one more album before in-fighting and creative differences pushed them back into futility. A new album was rumored to be in production last spring, although there has been no firm evidence to clarify whether or not it will ever be released. Their aggressive, honest and raw sound made them one of the more vastly-overlooked bands from their era, and while you might not immediately recognize their songs, you are sure to spot their influence in many modern-day bands. Share your favorite memories of Samiam in the replies, or if you aren't familiar with their work, come see why the band is sorely missed.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 43
01:39 AM on 02/03/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Weekly Nostalgia: SamiamShe Found You:

Capsized:

Mudhill:

Stepson:

Official Myspace | Official Fan Page | Unofficial Fan Page

Buy Samiam albums here
02:14 AM on 02/03/10
justinius23
User Info.
one of my favourite bands ever.

criminally under-appreciated.

"you are freaking me out" "astray" and "whatever's got you down" are all great records.
02:21 AM on 02/03/10
EchoPark
promesas son sombras
User Info.
Leave it to Fallon to draw nostalgic light onto one of the greatest bands of the last 20 years.

Was lucky enough to see these guys in Sydney in September play to a crowd of maybe 100 people.

It was incredible and also sad at the same time that their genius indeed was under-appreciated.
04:20 AM on 02/03/10
MikeAL4W
User Info.
Love these guys, they were playing right down the street during the Gig Life tour and half of everyone went to go see them, I however was too busy drinking at the pinball place to remember to go. I suck.
04:29 AM on 02/03/10
Bodyjar Rocks
User Info.
Such a good band!!
04:31 AM on 02/03/10
MikeAL4W
User Info.
Bodyjar's a sick band too. There should be a back in the day buffet thread if there isn't already haha.
04:48 AM on 02/03/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
Bodyjar's a sick band too. There should be a back in the day buffet thread if there isn't already haha.
Funny you bring them up, because I debated between Bodyjar and Samiam for this week haha -- no joke, dude. Maybe next week? I love Bodyjar a ton, as well as Samiam.
05:10 AM on 02/03/10
MikeAL4W
User Info.
Funny you bring them up, because I debated between Bodyjar and Samiam for this week haha -- no joke, dude. Maybe next week? I love Bodyjar a ton, as well as Samiam.

That is weird as hell haha. Well good two choices! haha
05:17 AM on 02/03/10
ugman_2000
May your music break my ear drums
User Info.
I knew this would be your're choice Chris

Love this band, I'd say Billy is my favorite album by them although I do like most of them, I wish I'd managed to see them when they toured the UK the other year

This is definitley my favorite track by them

05:27 AM on 02/03/10
JustAGirl01
I think. I AM.
User Info.
i read the name and mistook them for Samhain
05:36 AM on 02/03/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
I love all of their records. "Sunshine" and "Dull" are two of my favorite songs of all-time. Unfortunately, I didn't get into these guys until a few years back, when I was in college but...

It's a shame that "She Found You" was never on a movie soundtrack, and seeing these guys at the Fest this year was a truly memorable experience for me. A truly important band in "punk" rock, bridging the gap between "pop-punk" and "alternative/indie" in an honest, rough-around-the-edges manner.
05:39 AM on 02/03/10
Jacktheskipper
Coffeebreath & Heartache
User Info.
Couldn`t have said it any better, this band has be so important for music in general and for me personally ... must have seen them +10 times live and would always do so if I had the chance ...
05:51 AM on 02/03/10
craigboliver
I Am Shark
User Info.
Great PICK!
06:06 AM on 02/03/10
ddb43
User Info.
one of my favourite bands ever.

criminally under-appreciated.

"you are freaking me out" "astray" and "whatever's got you down" are all great records.
I 2nd this.

Saw them on Warped Tour years ago ('96, '97????), and the lead singer wore a kung fu outfit....it was awesome indeed!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos