AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Destine - Lightspeed Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.25
Musicianship 6.75
Lyrics 6
Production 8
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 71%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7
Lyrics 8
Production 8
Creativity 5
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.25
Average: 75%
Inside AP.net

Destine - Lightspeed

Reviewed by: cwhit412 (02/03/10)
Destine - Lightspeed
Record Label: Sony Music
Release Date: February 2, 2010

On a cool autumn morning, I woke up to an email. Some guy wanted me to check out this Dutch band. I open up the myspace page, and the guy has cool hair. So I listen. And I get hooked. I guess it was (bad pun alert) "Destine" that I received that email. Destine's original EP ended up in the top 3 of my 2009 EPs. Lightspeed may not end up that high, but this extremely catchy pop-rock band will definitely stay in my playlists all year.

"In Your Arms" will immediately get you listening with powerful guitar and a noticeable accent. I'll be honest; accents are usually a musical turn off to me. However, Destine pulls off the vocals very well. Do not expect too much difference from the first track. Destine stays pretty much to the same themes throughout. Expect lots of great riffs and extreme catchiness that won't get out of your mind. "Burn" is perhaps one of the strongest displays of the band's talents. "Stars" is a bit more mellow, but the chorus reminds the listener of what Destine is here for. "Where Are You Now" shows some diversity with a quick acoustic opening and small clinks on the piano before bursting out again with the electric. One of the band's newest songs, "Spiders", shows the band's lyrical maturation. "Am I So Blind" is another strong point. The song "California Summer" confuses me, because I doubt the band has ever been to California. Correct me if I'm wrong guys. The band finally changes things up with "In The End", a slow piano ballad. The band finally shows their true potential with this song. Insert a few more of these within the album, and it would get much more universal praise.

On that note, I have a feeling that Destine is on the verge of busting out big into the US. Destine has a perfect recipe of hit pop/rock music. They're already selling out shows across the ocean, and one day they may be able to do that here. And they may want to thank the guy who emailed their name.

Track Listing1. In Your Arms
2. Everything In Me
3. Burn
4. Stars
5. Where Are You Now
6. Spiders
7. Forget About Me
8. Wake Me
9. Sinking Sand
10. Am I So Blind
11. California Summer
12. In The End

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:33 PM on 02/18/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Pretty sure they're signed to a major over in Europe.
01:17 AM on 02/19/10
MusicHealsME
Best Known for Failure.
User Info.
Sony Music to be exact, also loved the album!!
02:39 AM on 02/19/10
cwhit412
User Info.
I couldn't find it, however I'll change it. Thanks guys!
05:38 AM on 02/19/10
Jasper112
Registered Member
User Info.
Fuk this bullshit...Im from holland, their music is completely gay/sell-out pop music for 12 year old girlies.

Die.
11:51 AM on 02/19/10
cwhit412
User Info.
Fuk this bullshit...Im from holland, their music is completely gay/sell-out pop music for 12 year old girlies.

Die.
I'm not even going to say the many things I am thinking right now.
12:01 PM on 02/19/10
Jasper112
Registered Member
User Info.
I'm not even going to say the many things I am thinking right now.
dude seriously, how can u not see through this bullshit charade....
12:20 PM on 02/19/10
cwhit412
User Info.
dude seriously, how can u not see through this bullshit charade....
One: You can be mature enough not to care.
Two: Don't call things gay unless you mean happy.
Three: Fuck has a "c" in it.
02:44 PM on 02/19/10
Jasper112
Registered Member
User Info.
One: You can be mature enough not to care.
Two: Don't call things gay unless you mean happy.
Three: Fuck has a "c" in it.
One: dont avoid the argument at hand
Two: I purposely write fuk with a K cauz its fun that way, so stop being a 'gay' killer
Three: I mean they actually look like they are gay and not in a happy way. So.....
10:38 AM on 03/12/10
vikit2
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Listen to the music... Does it matter so much to you that the look different?
I like the album. Verry good songwriting.

Cheers!
07:51 PM on 07/27/10
klcalifornia
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
first off,
i know these guys personally and the fact of the matter is i have never met any other group of people who are more devoted, inspired and motivated to make things happen. they were together for barely a year when sony found interest in them and then less than two years later, they were signed. and to the dude that wrote the blurb about their album, i give props that you see their potential...but YES they have been to california. it's where most of their music videos have been filmed, so the song california summer makes PERFECT sense. and to the douche that calls them sell out poppunk. grow up. they may not be making the music that you particularly like, but bottom line, they are living every musicians dream, while doing it with poise and gratitude. maybe their fan base is a group of screaming preteens, but i doubt that you have a sold out show with a crowd of 2000+ singing along to your lyrics. so jasper why dont you go "fuk" your own bull shit and then die.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums