Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 71
02:16 PM on 02/05/10
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
It's ok. According to Republican National Committee Chairman Michael Steele, "after taxes, a million dollars is not a lot of money."
You don't pay taxes on a loss.
02:22 PM on 02/05/10
Bruycker
User Info.
re-releasing The Beatles doesn't save your ass.
02:25 PM on 02/05/10
DandonTRJ
~~~ヾ(^∇^
User Info.
Right behind you on this.

I still actually find joy in buying a CD, but it's not the same as it use to be. I remember the time where people literally slept out of a record store for about 2 days in hopes of being the first person to buy an album. I also remember when record labels did everything they could to sell their artists. Huge promotional events, commercial after commercial, advertisement billboards, big time performances. Stuff you don't really see anymore. Nowadays the only place you can find any kind of real advertising or promotion of music is on the Fuse channel, while MTV and VH1 and even BET are now more worried about reality shows than what they use to be: MUSIC channels.

I really hope EMI can pull through as well. No clue how they're going to, but I'm rooting for them. :/
They could spend all that money because of the obscene overcharging and general excess on the business side. The music industry is long overdue to have to tighten its belt. It's a shame the fall is turning out to to be so spectacular and is taking a lot of innocent parties down with it, but it had to happen in some form.

The phoenix doesn't rise back up until it bursts until flames.
02:28 PM on 02/05/10
Sloth7
Eat Snickers, Leave Garbage
User Info.
I agree. This sounds like bad news for the music industry in general. I really hope that physical CDs will still be produced in the future, but if record labels keep going bankrupt and sales continue to decline like they have in the past decade, the future doesn't look too good. I know that the music industry has done a lot of bad things, but I think it's ultimately unfortunate news for music in general if a corporation like EMI goes down the drain.

Right behind you on this.

I still actually find joy in buying a CD, but it's not the same as it use to be. I remember the time where people literally slept out of a record store for about 2 days in hopes of being the first person to buy an album. I also remember when record labels did everything they could to sell their artists. Huge promotional events, commercial after commercial, advertisement billboards, big time performances. Stuff you don't really see anymore. Nowadays the only place you can find any kind of real advertising or promotion of music is on the Fuse channel, while MTV and VH1 and even BET are now more worried about reality shows than what they use to be: MUSIC channels.

I really hope EMI can pull through as well. No clue how they're going to, but I'm rooting for them. :/

You're both very right. I hope the day doesn't come when a label announces that they're doing away with the cd format. MP3's are convenient and I do love putting my cd's on my iPod, but nothing beats the fun of opening a new cd, reading the booklet and giving it that first listen. The anticipation that went along with that was so much fun as well. I may be dating myself, but I remember when Rage Against the Machine's Evil Empire came out, I went to my local cd store for a midnight release, they were giving away posters, buttons, shirts, blasting the cd through the store at that late hour, and it was packed and it was so much fun. Going to school the next day, I brought the cd in and everyone was looking at it and listening to it. That kind of anticipation and excitement is something that I'm afraid will never be around again, and it also really made people appreciate the bands and the music. Downloading a song on LimeWire now just doesn't even come close to that.

I just hope this EMI news isn't a foreshadowing of what's to come.
02:40 PM on 02/05/10
StefanMaxxx
User Info.
Looking forward to this conversation...

someone - "So what do you do for a living?"
me - "I'm a musician."
someone - "oh. really? So do you have a record deal and all that?"
me - "yup"
someone - "No kidding! Who are you signed with?"
me - "ummmm... citi bank?"
someone - "oh... That's cool. I have a checking account over there."

This made me laugh out loud.
02:45 PM on 02/05/10
deFobbed14yrs
Legal Drug Dealer
User Info.
i buy CD's!! i love buying a new one it's awesome. and i have no idea how you could get into 2.4 billion dollars into debt. that boggles by mind
02:49 PM on 02/05/10
prefix-core
Andy Adores Alliteration
User Info.
Dinosaurs will slowly die
And I do believe no one will cry
I'm just fuckin glad I'm gonna be
There to watch the fall...

Dammit. Somebody beat me to it! Haha. For a band that so many members of this site purport to be "irrelevant," NOFX was dead-on with that one. And that song came out what...A decade ago, now? Roughly?
02:51 PM on 02/05/10
TheRealJohnOC
@BehindtheCade Seen over 730 bands!
User Info.
damn thats insane..2.4 billion.
03:03 PM on 02/05/10
Evan123
User Info.
i am so, so, so, so happy to read this. fuck them.
03:21 PM on 02/05/10
rawspinner
Fight the Cancer
User Info.
Looking forward to this conversation...

someone - "So what do you do for a living?"
me - "I'm a musician."
someone - "oh. really? So do you have a record deal and all that?"
me - "yup"
someone - "No kidding! Who are you signed with?"
me - "ummmm... citi bank?"
someone - "oh... That's cool. I have a checking account over there."

Are you going to do independent solo stuff?
03:25 PM on 02/05/10
Corgkowznor
Registered Member
User Info.
That's what happens when you sign bands like iwrestledabearonce
03:32 PM on 02/05/10
SuNDaYSTaR
[Pull The Trigger]
User Info.
Four words: Too big to fail.
03:36 PM on 02/05/10
eriatarka24
User Info.
Are you kidding me?!
04:09 PM on 02/05/10
GeeBee
Tertium Non Datur
User Info.
Dammit. Somebody beat me to it! Haha. For a band that so many members of this site purport to be "irrelevant," NOFX was dead-on with that one. And that song came out what...A decade ago, now? Roughly?
Precisely. And yes, ten years ago in June. (Crazy!)
04:11 PM on 02/05/10
Jodi-Kaos
TaVon Jackson
User Info.
They could spend all that money because of the obscene overcharging and general excess on the business side. The music industry is long overdue to have to tighten its belt. It's a shame the fall is turning out to to be so spectacular and is taking a lot of innocent parties down with it, but it had to happen in some form.

The phoenix doesn't rise back up until it bursts until flames.
That's true. It's very much long overdue. It just that so many people are going to have to suffer (and suffer BIG) for it... I don't even know how you can get that far into debt though. I mean, SERIOUSLY, when does the red flag go up??? :/

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos