AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Monty Are I - Wall of People Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.75
Lyrics 7
Production 7.5
Creativity 8
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.75
Final Verdict: 78%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.42
Musicianship 9.08
Lyrics 8.75
Production 8.92
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 7.92
Average: 87%
Inside AP.net

Monty Are I - Wall of People

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (07/17/06)
Monty Are IWall of People
Release Date: August 1, 2006
Record Label: Stolen Transmission/Island Records

[Overall Score: 7.8/10]

Getting right down to it, the biggest problem with the Stolen Transmission debut from Monty Are I is the lack of new songs. That new-car smell applies to CDs too, and those who enjoyed the band’s 8-song debut, The Red Shift, might not find Wall of People as appealing as first-time listeners. Six of the eleven songs are taken from The Red Shift and spruced up a bit before being slapped onto the new CD. While the band have changed their name from Monty's Fan Club to Monty to the current moniker, Monty Are I, their drive and determination remains intact, perhaps even refined as time has allowed them to mature a bit. They are consistently noted for an electric live show, but some complain they are not always up to par on CD. Wall of People combats that stereotype to some success, although a few holes in their recorded performance remain.

Some of the songs (see “Anchor and Hope”) play the angry ex-lover card just a bit too prominently, although “Dublin Waltz” keys heavily on the muted ska sound that gives Monty Are I the edge over your ordinary passive-aggressive rock band. Frankly, that makes all the difference. Never do the horns overwhelm the listener, but they do just enough (although some may argue they should be brought into the mix more often) to accent the rough and tumble rock ‘n roll sound that Monty Are I strive for. “O Brother” starts out promising a harsh sound, but Steve Aiello dials it back a notch vocally. This musical contradiction of sorts comes off as a little forced, although when the band lets loose instrumentally, they flourish. “O Brother” features a self-indulgent choral group backing the outro of the song; it is an interesting touch, and it actually turns out well. Closing the album, “Only the Weak” is an ass-kicking track that seems to try to channel AFI before returning to a distinct Monty Are I sound; it stands as one of the CD’s strongest tracks, and is quickly becoming one of my favorites of the year.

With Wall of People, Monty Are I barrel through 11 tracks with reckless abandon, scathing belligerence, and enough cheap thrills to put a smile on nearly anyone’s face. For his part, Steve Aiello sounds like a stepchild of Name Taken’s Chad Atkinson and New Found Glory’s Jordan Pundik with perhaps a little Darryl Palumbo thrown in for good measure, and that quirky yet refreshing voice of his gives Wall of People a marked advantage in quality. If you want to enjoy a solid debut album from a band that should be making waves sooner rather than later, add Wall of People to your CD collection; these are some damn good rock ‘n roll tunes.

Buy Monty Are I's Wall of People on iTunes

Track List01. Between the Sheets
02. Castle Bound
03. Dublin Waltz*
04. Anchor and Hope*
05. O Brother
06. Island City
07. Metropolis
08. In This Legacy
09. Just In Time*
10. Tie Off Your Veins*
11. Only the Weak*
* denotes new song
99 Cents Worth includes several of my favorite songs that if you're looking to sample the album, you should check out on iTunes.
99 Cents Worth"Only the Weak," "Dublin Waltz," and "Tie Off Your Veins"
Listen to Monty Are IMyspace | Purevolume | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 34
08:16 AM on 07/18/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
these are some damn good rock ‘n roll tunes.
That is big, orange sticker ready, my friend.
08:23 AM on 07/18/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by apm158
hm i just saw them w/ RXB

their trombone player danced with the horn in his hand for 25 mins of the set
for 4 mins he played keyboards
and for 1 minute he played trombone

i was kind of disappointed

and he would pick up the trombone to dance with it in songs where he didnt even play it

it was kind of like a stage prop :(
Really? They tore it up live when I saw them (they were recording live footage that night, so I dunno). I have a friend who had seen them previously and said they were very good live as well. Maybe you caught a bad day? He was low on air?
08:25 AM on 07/18/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Steve Henderson
That is big, orange sticker ready, my friend.
If they choose to use it, I won't complain. This release will get overlooked, and I think a lot of our readers would enjoy it.
08:32 AM on 07/18/06
X__inhope
justinryan.org
User Info.
I have to agree with the fact that it is a major bummer that this is pretty much a rerelease of their last record.

Last year, I reviewed hundreds of demos for Takeover Records Sign My Band Contest, and this was the band that I picked to go into the top 10. I'm glad to see they are going places, but would have loved if they at least had half new and half old.
08:35 AM on 07/18/06
electricpatrick
User Info.
pretty good review tony

i havent listened to any of the new songs yet, cause like you pointed out, there are only 5 of em and i have the red shift. i like being surprised a little bit when i get the physical cd in my hand. anyway, i have been looking forward to this album

anyone know if they still have that limited enhanced ep they were selling on the beginning of the tour, or if that is sold out?
08:40 AM on 07/18/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by X__inhope
I have to agree with the fact that it is a major bummer that this is pretty much a rerelease of their last record.

Last year, I reviewed hundreds of demos for Takeover Records Sign My Band Contest, and this was the band that I picked to go into the top 10. I'm glad to see they are going places, but would have loved if they at least had half new and half old.
That's pretty cool. How does one get a job like that?

Anyone who enjoyed The Red Shift will probably dig this because there's so many songs from it, but the new songs are really where it's at. "Between the Sheets" (old) was good, but songs like "Only the Weak" are so much better.
08:44 AM on 07/18/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
$1.99 bargain bin in 2 years.
08:45 AM on 07/18/06
LMB
Riding the Gravy Train.
User Info.
Monty('s Fan Club/Are I)'s releases have been nothing more than fun rock, and that's how I like it.
08:46 AM on 07/18/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Scott Weber
$1.99 bargain bin in 2 years.
Most CDs released in the past two years deserve that. Besides, Weber, you hate everything. ;)
08:54 AM on 07/18/06
shane hennessey
www.itakebandphotos.com
User Info.
ive been following MAI for about 3 years now and I look forward to getting this cd. such good guys
08:58 AM on 07/18/06
screwbizzle
User Info.
sweet review, tony.
i also agree that their live show is great!
09:03 AM on 07/18/06
gonz
///\\\///\\\///\\\///\\\
User Info.
Good review for a good CD
09:05 AM on 07/18/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
By the way, does anyone like the addition of the new box, 99 Cents Worth? I figured I'd highlight a few of my favorite tracks from each CD in my reviews.
09:19 AM on 07/18/06
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
Originally Posted by Tony Pascarella
By the way, does anyone like the addition of the new box, 99 Cents Worth? I figured I'd highlight a few of my favorite tracks from each CD in my reviews.
Well, here shouldn't it be $2.97 worth? :) But yeah it is a good idea. I tend to like to talk about the record as a whole only, but I can see people appreciating this.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums