AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Allison Moorer - Crows Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 9
Production 9
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 90%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Allison Moorer - Crows

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (02/08/10)
Allison Moorer - Crows
Record Label: Rykodisc
Release Date: Feb. 9, 2010

Sure must be nice to be Allison Moorer. As if the success of her Grammy-winning sister Shelby Lynne wasn't enough, the Alabama native is also married to alt-country legend Steve Earle and has been nominated for an Academy Award for her contribution "A Soft Place to Fall," which appeared on the soundtrack to the 1998 film The Horse Whisperer. Last year, she was nominated for a Grammy for her work on her husband's 2008 album Washington Square Serenade, and while Sheryl Crow made it ubiquitous, Moorer, the single's original singer, made quite a dent on country radio with the Kid Rock duet, "Picture."

On her sleepy and sedate new album Crows, her eighth and first on Rkyodisc, she seems to settle into a landscape of softness, dotting her album with only three upbeat numbers and ten (yep, ten) ballads. Thankfully though, most of it is done well, thanks in part to the deft production of R.S Field (John Mayall, Billy Joe Shaver). Aside from throwaways, "Should I Be Concerned" and "It's Gonna Feel Good" much of Birds is absolutely ravishing. Take for example the bare piano ballad "Easy in the Summertime," or the jangly "The Broken Girl."

Though the disc starts off unhurried and threatens to dawdle, the gentle lilt of "Goodbye to the Ground," makes for one of Moorer's most creative efforts to date. The matriarchal ballad, "The Stars and I (Mama's Song)" is equally compelling as the song's first 90 seconds features ethereal instrumentation and a gauzy veneer not unlike Jann Arden. Other high points include the chill-inducing "Like the Rain," and the torch ballad "When You Wake Up Feeling Bad."

Since her 1998 debut Alabama Song, Moorer has always earned raves for the intimacy of her delivery and the poignancy of its timbre. These attributes are felt most on the panged, "When You Wake Up Feeling Bad," and the equally wrenching, "Sorrow (Don't Come Around)." And though Crows has its fair shake of heartache, it is not without its optimism. Penultimate track "It's Gonna Feel Good," points to the period at which a woman can confidently break free from emptiness, while title track and album closer "Crows," candidly admits, "I guess a few crows in the backyard is better than bats in the belfry."

Ten years into a much-lauded career, Moorer seems to understand her songwriting niche and seems supremely comfortable with her place. And while the understated, simplicity of Crows is at times underwhelming, its hard to argue with a voice as soothing and as striking as hers.

Track Listing 1. Abalone Sky
2. Goodbye to the Ground
3. Just Another Fool
4. The Broken Girl
5. Should I Be Concerned
6. When You Wake Up Feeling Bad
7. Easy in the Summertime
8. Stars and I (Mama's Song)
9. Still This Side of Gone
10. Like the Rain
11. Sorrow (Don't Come Around)
12. It's Gonna Feel Good
13. Crows

Recommended If You Like Mary Chapin Carpenter, Kim Richey, Emmylou Harris, Jann Arden

Find Her Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:25 AM on 02/08/10
CellarGhosts
Blodtørst
User Info.
Being such a big Steve Earle fan, I've always meant to check out some of Moorer's music but never really got around to it. Will have to give this one a spin.
06:26 AM on 02/08/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Being such a big Steve Earle fan, I've always meant to check out some of Moorer's music but never really got around to it. Will have to give this one a spin.
Steve Earl fan huh? You're okay in my book!
11:52 PM on 08/27/11
Prince99
User Info.
I am really glad that I found this forum,Alison Moorer is my idol I've been an avid fan for more that 5 years.Especially in her album Crows"

Cheers

Mortgage Jacksonville FL

Mortgage FL
09:01 PM on 09/20/11
Chelsea99
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I always follow Alison Moorer on her upcoming album I try to check on the record sales but none has been new release.Keep waiting!

Massage Chair
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums