Password

Album Review

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2 Album Cover

Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2

Reviewed by
Rob Zombie - Hellbilly Deluxe 2
Record Label: Roadrunner
Release Date: February 2, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20
03:48 PM on 02/09/10
satellitesong
Mike
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i think its about time mr. zombie stopped trying to make music. just stick to the movies
04:44 AM on 02/10/10
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
not a very good album, simply because of his vocals;he lost the deep roar-like tone of old. he just sounds whiny now.
04:53 AM on 02/10/10
NateFoundGlory
Why do you stay till you see blood?
User Info.
Haha never really been a Zombie fan (although I do spin Educated Horses now and again), but props to him for still going I guess. Good review.
05:27 AM on 02/10/10
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
The artwork for his records is always top notch. Maybe redundant but... seeing his wife naked hardly gets old. I have respect for this man. The music is obviously corny but I would score this in the 70's somewhere just out of respect for the genre that he pretty much pioneered, however cheesy it may be.
05:42 AM on 02/10/10
TragedyofMariam
myspace.com/thetragedyofmariam
User Info.
The artwork for his records is always top notch. Maybe redundant but... seeing his wife naked hardly gets old. I have respect for this man. The music is obviously corny but I would score this in the 70's somewhere just out of respect for the genre that he pretty much pioneered, however cheesy it may be.
i agree. i'm actually a pretty big fan of zombie. although his music hasn't really progressed, i for one WOULDN'T WANT his music to progress. given his age and his accomplishments, i highly doubt he's at a stage where he'd like to change his sound (especially given that he said this is going to be his last record).

zombie's music is good. it's metal/rock/industrial and sometimes borderline house/dance.

i appreciate the review, it did it's job well. i'm definitely going to be getting this record though.
06:06 AM on 02/10/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
obviously this is a "fans-only" type of release. I mean, are "the kids" really even trying to get into Zombie these days? Most probably know him more now as "the guy that did the Halloween remake" and not "the frontman from White Zombie"...those of us old enough to remember the radio landscape from 1995-2000 know that Zombie dominated the airwaves with his brand of horror-commercial-metal that I still really enjoy, even if it is my inner nostalgic teenager enjoying it most.

nothing Zombie has done post-White Zombie is as good as the White Zombie classic "Astro Creep 2000"...you know...the album with 'more human than human'. even teenagers these days have surely heard that song, alternative radio refuses to stop spinning it, even 15 yeras after its peak on the charts.

he followed that album with his first solo release "hellbilly deluxe" in 1998, which of course spawned the massive hit "dragula".

since then, he put out a couple ho-hum solo releases, toured a bit and focused most of his attention in the 2000s by making horror movies, excellent horror movies I might add. he's put out 5 over the last decade.

now, after more or less stepping away from music for the past 5 years to focus on the Halloween remakes, he's back, with his best effort since the original "hellbilly deluxe", althouhg it still isn't as good as his White Zombie work or the original Hellbilly.

but for fans, it's a welcome return to form.

sure, the lyrics might not be your thing, random horror movie imagary and nonsense. his vocal sneer might not be yoru thing. the soundbites and bombastic production might not be yoru thing. like I said, new fans should probably start with his back cataloge, new fans will dig this for what it is. it's not a great album, but it's a nice fix.

Zombie has stated this will likely be his last album, will see if there's truth to that, but considering it's been 4 years since hsi last effort, I doubt he'll put out anything else anytime soon.

for those that enjoy his sound, give this a listen, he's made some modifications to his style over the past decade, but old fans will enjoy this , even for just the nostalgic tip.

don't go looking for some deep meaning or high art statement. it's a rob zombie record. this shit is just fun, like his horror movies. some may think distrubing, some may think stupid, people like me just take it as entertainment. just a good time.
06:08 AM on 02/10/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
not a very good album, simply because of his vocals;he lost the deep roar-like tone of old. he just sounds whiny now.

i agree his vocals are not nearly as strong as they were a decade ago. he relies too much on effects now. but its still fun. shit he is old. i'm just glad he took the time to make a 4th solo album. this really is a fans-only type release. i doubt he "needs money" at this point. I think the Halloween remakes were pretty good to him.
06:22 AM on 02/10/10
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
i agree his vocals are not nearly as strong as they were a decade ago. he relies too much on effects now. but its still fun. shit he is old. i'm just glad he took the time to make a 4th solo album. this really is a fans-only type release. i doubt he "needs money" at this point. I think the Halloween remakes were pretty good to him.
it is ok, some songs are really good, others are very mundane. im a lfielong zombie fan, so im sure it will grow on me.
06:26 AM on 02/10/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
it is ok, some songs are really good, others are very mundane. im a lfielong zombie fan, so im sure it will grow on me.

yea, I thought Educated Horses and Sinister Urge were very hit and miss...a couple real good songs but just as many duds. By comparison, I think this one is a little more consistent, a little better "hit to dud ratio" than his last couple releases.

its good, its fun, nothing spectacular. his best work, musically at least, was made in the 90s. but at least it's something new from him. its at least a few more songs to add to the "rob zombie mix" best of playist on iTunes.
06:29 AM on 02/10/10
brothaman
is too legit to quit.
User Info.
yea, I thought Educated Horses and Sinister Urge were very hit and miss...a couple real good songs but just as many duds. By comparison, I think this one is a little more consistent, a little better "hit to dud ratio" than his last couple releases.

its good, its fun, nothing spectacular. his best work, musically at least, was made in the 90s. but at least it's something new from him. its at least a few more songs to add to the "rob zombie mix" best of playist on iTunes.
i do like the southern rock influences on this album. thats a big plus.
06:31 AM on 02/10/10
smelltheglove
youarealldumbemokids
User Info.
i do like the southern rock influences on this album. thats a big plus.

yea, those that pay attention will notice that this one is far less industrial than his old stuff and there's a definite southern rock/garage rock vibe to it.
08:26 AM on 02/10/10
golferpunk1
I'm not used to this temptation
User Info.
i think its about time mr. zombie stopped trying to make music. just stick to the movies
Please no. He's already ruined Halloween.
08:55 AM on 02/10/10
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Nice review. Spot on. Not a big fan of Zombie on record (although it's fun from time to time), but he puts on a great live show.
10:21 AM on 02/10/10
HometownHero
User Info.
All that can be said about this is:

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News