Password

Album Review
Yeasayer - Odd Blood Album Cover

Yeasayer - Odd Blood

Reviewed by
Yeasayer - Odd Blood
Record Label: Secretly Canadian
Release Date: February 9, 2010
This review is a user submitted review from Jeremy Aaron. You can see all of Jeremy Aaron's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
08:53 PM on 02/11/10
Jeff_Ryan
easy come and easy go, whatever
User Info.
i feel like i would go into a coma if i stared at the art for too long
09:51 PM on 02/11/10
owiseone35
You need human heat
User Info.
February 2010!!! Not 2009 ha. Happens to me all the time.
10:06 PM on 02/11/10
hockeyguitar99
Prison Strength
User Info.
Love it.
10:42 PM on 02/11/10
i2ockbotm
User Info.
Pretty spot on review. I thought the same thing to myself about how amazingly legit tracks 2-6 are (actually, I enjoy how the vocalist slides and wavers his notes in track 1, but that damn robotic effect adds no value) listening to the album in my car. It's a shame the last 4 tracks on the album aren't really up to the same standard of all those preceding it
12:39 AM on 02/12/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
So is this the Merriweather Post Pavilion of 2010?
03:42 AM on 02/12/10
mercy123
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good album
05:46 AM on 02/12/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
February 2010!!! Not 2009 ha. Happens to me all the time.
That's excusable in January. I shouldn't still be doing that. Fixed anyway.
05:51 AM on 02/12/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
So is this the Merriweather Post Pavilion of 2010?
I wouldn't say that at all, but that's because I don't particularly care for that album (or Strawberry Jam for that matter). To me, it seems like their approach has been to toss a bunch of random stuff together and stir, and while that might work if you're making a soup, the music comes out sounding kind of directionless. This album has some "experimental" touches, but it ultimately sounds like something an average joe off the street would consider music. I can't really say that about MPP, which I don't deem to be far-removed from AIDS Wolf and the like (i.e. pretty much just white noise).
06:11 AM on 02/12/10
IamTheINDUSTRY
glory glory
User Info.
I wouldn't say that at all, but that's because I don't particularly care for that album (or Strawberry Jam for that matter). To me, it seems like their approach has been to toss a bunch of random stuff together and stir, and while that might work if you're making a soup, the music comes out sounding kind of directionless. This album has some "experimental" touches, but it ultimately sounds like something an average joe off the street would consider music. I can't really say that about MPP, which I don't deem to be far-removed from AIDS Wolf and the like (i.e. pretty much just white noise).

Everyones entitled to their opinion but "my girls" is white noise?! One of the best pop tunes of the last decade.
06:25 AM on 02/12/10
mcquizzle
mighty kites !!!
User Info.
completely agree with this review.
07:01 AM on 02/12/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
Everyones entitled to their opinion but "my girls" is white noise?! One of the best pop tunes of the last decade.
I know a lot of people like it, and figured my comment would probably generate some response, but the whole texture of that song and much of their recent music makes my skin crawl like nails on a chalkboard. I really like their earlier recordings, especially Sung Tongs, but it just feels like they go out of their way to sound grating now.
07:19 AM on 02/12/10
Travis Parno
my sensible heart
User Info.
i'll have to respectfully call you insane for this one, but hey, i guess it's not for everyone

haven't checked out Odd Blood yet, but i will based on the review, good stuff
07:30 AM on 02/12/10
Memphis
Eight miles high and falling fast
User Info.
why have you been leaving out "RIYL" lately? I sort of miss it...
07:49 AM on 02/12/10
Jeremy Aaron
User Info.
why have you been leaving out "RIYL" lately? I sort of miss it...
I've been including them in reviews for "lesser known" bands, but people always focus on it more than the actual review and overanalyze and nitpick at it. This album especially is kind of all-over-the-place, so it's really tough to reduce its sound to a few bands/albums in any meaningful way. But I'd say it sounds like what The Flaming Lips would sound like if they were trying to write instantly accessible songs, combined with the occasional angular danceability of Talking Heads, a little standard '80s New Wave/Sophistipop, and trace amounts of the Grizzly Bear-like organic-ness of their last album. But I think it's worth listening to regardless of what you like.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos