Password

Album Review
Harvard - The Inevitable and I Album Cover

Harvard - The Inevitable and I

Reviewed by
Harvard - The Inevitable And I
Record Label: Enjoy the Ride Records
Release Date: December 1, 2009
Many new bands today fail to create a debut full length album that is inspiring and immensely blows the listener away on first listen. With the help and guidance of producer Brian McTernan (Circa Survive, Thrice) behind the boards, Charlotte, NC’s Harvard was able to achieve just that. Filled with beautiful melodies, spacey guitar riffs, and a pounding rhythm section, The Inevitable And I has set the bar very high for future albums within the same genre. Landing a spot on Absolutepunk.net’s “Absolute 100” has also garnered a lot of buzz for this up-and-coming act.

With no time to waste, Harvard immediately kicks off the album with one of their strongest tracks. “On With Disease” showcases what the band is all about by shining the spotlight on each individual member and displaying their remarkable talents. Guitarists Jason Shaw and Lisandro Herrera demonstrate their abilities to use various effects on their pedals to create large dynamics. At the same time, drummer Tim Cossor and bassist Garret Leister lay it down with driving beats that construct a huge impact on the overall sound.

“French Girls” and “An End Weight” present a softer and atmospheric side of the band, while tracks like “Memory Police” and “The Creative” deliver a massive punch to the face (in a good way). To end the album on a dark and soothing manner, the title track “Inevitable And I” features vocalist Jesse Clasen singing softly over an acoustic guitar while leaving the listener feeling completely satisfied with what just came through their ears. Clasen has an incredible vocal range that would literally create envy among most singers. His ability to transition from high-pitched vocals to heavy shouts is nearly flawless and is highly comparable to crowd-favorite Anthony Green of Circa Survive.

For such a young band, Harvard has the capability to go very far in their musical career. Their blend of indie rock and pop influences has resulted in 14 unique tracks that are equally catchy and memorable. Out of hundreds of albums that were released in 2009, how can you determine what will land in the top twenty of the year? With Harvard’s The Inevitable And I, I didn’t even have to think twice about it. This album is brilliant from beginning to end and should not go overlooked in any way.

Recommended If You LikeCirca Survive, In:Aviate, Kaddisfly

myspace.com/harvard
This review is a user submitted review from Romancebled. You can see all of Romancebled's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 15
12:58 AM on 03/04/10
barkingincision
i am white rune
User Info.
was gonna do a review of them too myself
great record. got me back into post-hardcore.
05:50 PM on 03/05/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Very good band. I really loved this album. Highly recommended to whoever likes Circa Survive. Good review as well.
09:47 PM on 03/06/10
ajaggedpulse
m
User Info.
sounds awesome. i'm gonna pick this up when i get a chance.
09:55 PM on 03/06/10
thelaughingtree
just keep your head above
User Info.
i LOVE this album sooooooooooooo much!
Everyone needs to BUY this album. This band is insane and amazing <3
10:14 PM on 03/06/10
thesollopsist
Up all night, and down all day
User Info.
I've heard nothing but good things. I'm a huge circa fan and I just youtubed some of this stuff and it's really solid, hopefully they won't be known as 'that band who sounds like circa survive' for too long though, I think they deserve more credit.
04:07 AM on 03/07/10
PetitnaindesÎles
We can gallop upon the sea...
User Info.
Solid album, their EP is recommended.
09:57 AM on 03/07/10
Tucker SL!
Secret Lives! / Tucker
User Info.
bad ass mother fuckin!
11:44 AM on 03/07/10
GoodIdea
Is this love or is it just pure sin
User Info.
Amazing album, perfect review. They r going on tour ,so keep an eye out. Coming to ny on the 20th
12:36 PM on 03/07/10
thelaughingtree
just keep your head above
User Info.
They'll be up here in the north east, March 19, 20, 23 and 24 All of those dates are NY, except the 23rd being New Jersey...Everybody, who is everybody should attend these shows.
01:54 AM on 06/21/10
michael889vinto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Any new concert updates that i should know about?
couldnt make it to the last one... :(
al-wed Chat
04:29 PM on 08/27/10
chriskeays123
I'm going home but my own way
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I've heard of this band before but just listened to them for the first time today. It is awesome to finally hear a newer band that is so good. I've been looking for something like this.
11:20 AM on 09/05/10
LoupBelle
LoupBelle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Amazing through and through.
12:06 PM on 04/22/11
o3dw4rdo
User Info.
I've heard nothing but good things. I'm a huge circa fan and I just youtubed some of this stuff and it's really solid, hopefully they won't be known as 'that band who sounds like circa survive' for too long though, I think they deserve more credit.
unfortunately, i do not know if it will ever go away. they did put their torrent out labeled as circa survives blue sky noise
12:36 PM on 07/13/11
Tele72
User Info.
unfortunately, i do not know if it will ever go away. they did put their torrent out labeled as circa survives blue sky noise

Yep that's how i found out about them

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version