Password

Album Review

Marianas Trench - Masterpiece Theatre Album Cover

Marianas Trench - Masterpiece Theatre

Reviewed by
Marianas TrenchMasterpiece Theatre
Record Label: 604 Records
Release Date: February 24, 2009
This review is a user submitted review from cavanaughpark09. You can see all of cavanaughpark09's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
10:57 PM on 03/08/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Great review. Now I don't have to write one myself.

My last.fm totally gives it away, but these guys are probably my favourite local band. I've been a fan since Fix Me first came out (before the absolute onslaught of fans that Shake Tramp brought along) and this CD showed that they could step up their game and put out an album that both has standout individual tracks and works as a cohesive whole. Top songs for me have to be Masterpiece Theater I (love the Queen influence), Beside You, Perfect and Masterpiece Theater III (phenomenal to see live). Sing Sing and Celebrity Status used to be my tops, but they don't have as much lasting value that the other songs do IMO.

Just out of curiousity, what is your opinion on Fix Me?
11:10 PM on 03/08/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
Also, I don't think they are really comparable to Fall Out Boy. Marianas Trench is a lot more theatrical I find.
01:14 AM on 03/09/10
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
absolutely fantastic review. This album is a huge step up in both maturity and creativity for MT over Fix Me. I've been following them since before Fix Me was released ('sup Spenny ) and have watched them grow into an extremely successful band. Cannot be more proud of what they achieved
02:17 AM on 03/09/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
This album is GREAT.
Vastly underrated...at least outside of Canada.

Also, "Good To You" is in no way a misstep, best ballad on the album (if you don't count the Masterpiece Theaters as ballads)

& "Perfect" is my favorite track. One hell of a vocal showcase right there.
10:48 AM on 03/09/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
absolutely fantastic review. This album is a huge step up in both maturity and creativity for MT over Fix Me. I've been following them since before Fix Me was released ('sup Spenny ) and have watched them grow into an extremely successful band. Cannot be more proud of what they achieved
:O

Well... I saw them play my local mall right after Say Anything was released, small crowd and all.

After seeing them play most of Fix Me there, then seeing them after Masterpiece Theatre was released, was so amazing. Went from a mall to selling out a 1,000 capacity venue in two days. Then at the Olympics like 20,000 people turned up to watch them when I went. It's so nice to see their following grow so much in Canada the past few years.
02:11 AM on 03/11/10
Dubui_209
This is endless and I know.
User Info.
Although I like Masterpiece Theater, I would have to say Fix Me is better. Low and All To Myself are my favorites.
12:36 AM on 03/14/10
ChrisCTL
User Info.
Masterpeice Theatre I sounds like Queen at the beginning ... This album absolutely blew me away when i first heard it. I immediately fell in love with it. Great great album.
12:54 AM on 03/16/10
curator
Am I Wry? Maybe
User Info.
what's more amazing is the fact that you think you're listening to the chorus cause it's damn catchy until you realize that it's just the bridge or "pre-chorus" and the real even more catchier chorus is yet to come!!!

I think in some countries it is a crime when the verse, bridge and chorus is so fucking catchy..
11:25 AM on 03/27/10
SingMeInsomnia
Because I can.
User Info.
Good band
06:55 PM on 03/31/10
cavanaughpark09
come on sweet catastrophe
User Info.
Just out of curiousity, what is your opinion on Fix Me?

On first listen the album didn't impress me as much but the songs have been part of a playlist on my ipod since December. I really have to go back and give it a listen as a whole to give a valid opinion I think. Masterpiece Theater really did just completely blow me away.

As for the Fall Out Boy comparison, I think the one I was given meant that how big FOB is in the US if how big MTrench are in Canada.
07:09 PM on 03/31/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
On first listen the album didn't impress me as much but the songs have been part of a playlist on my ipod since December. I really have to go back and give it a listen as a whole to give a valid opinion I think. Masterpiece Theater really did just completely blow me away.

As for the Fall Out Boy comparison, I think the one I was given meant that how big FOB is in the US if how big MTrench are in Canada.
Far enough, that's actually a pretty good comparison.

Video for Celebrity Status came out today. Gonna go check it out. :P
08:25 PM on 03/31/10
cavanaughpark09
come on sweet catastrophe
User Info.
Far enough, that's actually a pretty good comparison.

Video for Celebrity Status came out today. Gonna go check it out. :P

It won't work on my computer

I'm blaming living in the US. Guess I have to wait for it to be on youtube.
01:14 AM on 04/01/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
It won't work on my computer

I'm blaming living in the US. Guess I have to wait for it to be on youtube.
I'm Canadian and it won't even work for me, so you aren't alone. >_>
05:49 PM on 04/28/10
mattjames1909
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
My favorite album of 09, and may become one of my favorite albums of all time.

Though, I can see the similarities between Fall Out Boy, so it's not that far fetched. They do borrow sounds from Queen and Fall Out Boy, but in no way does that bring their music down. Every band has their influences, and every band in some way shows it.

The thing is, Marianas Trench has brought out an album that will have the members of Fall Out Boy wishing they wrote songs as good as what was on Masterpiece Theatre. They brought in the beautiful elements of theater musicals just as good as Queen did in their time.

This album, if given the chance, would be huge in the U.S.A. Maybe it will get a re-release here and see how it does.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos