AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password
Video News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Video
Inside AP.net

OK Go Defends Letting Content Spread Virally in NYT...

Posted by: Tony Pascarella (02/21/10)
Damian Kulash, singer of OK Go, has contributed an interesting op-ed article to the New York Times about the band's past viral success on YouTube and the current state of the music industry. You can check it out here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 33
02:56 PM on 02/21/10
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
getting popular off a gimmick video doesn't make for long term sustained success...sorry OK GO. You have gone the way of jamiroquai
03:01 PM on 02/21/10
JordanBuell
and sail belly up to the clouds
User Info.
I met these guys one time. cocky douches.
03:02 PM on 02/21/10
DogSizedBird
User Info.
getting popular off a gimmick video doesn't make for long term sustained success...sorry OK GO. You have gone the way of jamiroquai
/thread.
03:08 PM on 02/21/10
Contortionist
The NJ Underground
User Info.
they were pretty successful with their first record, with the semi hit "Get Over It" in 2002. I dug it alot. 8 years of modest success is more then most people can say.
03:30 PM on 02/21/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
they were pretty successful with their first record, with the semi hit "Get Over It" in 2002. I dug it alot. 8 years of modest success is more then most people can say.
They were also pretty successful in 2005 when they won a Grammy for the video for 'Here It Goes Again.' I think that's a bit more significant...
03:36 PM on 02/21/10
lifeishell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How many of you assholes actually read the op-ed? I don't even listen to the band but it's decent piece of writing that talks about the power of consumer choices in relation to the Internet and how corporate people are seeking to profit on it by limiting it's control. Edit: I'm removing shitty from my description of the band. As I haven't listened to one album by them, it's a rather harsh judgement.
03:42 PM on 02/21/10
Contortionist
The NJ Underground
User Info.
They were also pretty successful in 2005 when they won a Grammy for the video for 'Here It Goes Again.' I think that's a bit more significant...
duh, that goes without saying. My point is people think the only success this band has had has been from that one stupid video.
03:44 PM on 02/21/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
duh, that goes without saying. My point is people think the only success this band has had has been from that one stupid video.
Oh I definitely agree. I guess my comment kinda proved your point then haha.
03:51 PM on 02/21/10
PigDestroyer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
How many of you assholes actually read the op-ed? I don't even listen to the band but it's decent piece of writing that talks about the power of consumer choices in relation to the Internet and how corporate people are seeking to profit on it by limiting it's control. Edit: I'm removing shitty from my description of the band. As I haven't listened to one album by them, it's a rather harsh judgement.
I read it. If a band wants to be known for a video gimmick, like playing backwards or running on treadmills, then I guess it hurts if that video can't be everywhere and spread all over the internet.
05:00 PM on 02/21/10
sweetfootaction
Cake-eater
User Info.
I read it. If a band wants to be known for a video gimmick, like playing backwards or running on treadmills, then I guess it hurts if that video can't be everywhere and spread all over the internet.
I edited my brief first post to further break down your ignorance.

1. You mentioned Jamiroquai initially, who utilized absolutely no viral marketing during his career. His video for 'Virtual Insanity' appealed to so many because of it's innovation and creativity. Most music videos then weren't really artistic. The video for 'Virtual Insanity' brought in elements of art and innovation. Not to mention he made quality dance music. Nothing like Cobra Starship.

If creative music videos, according to you, are all gimmicks, I guess we can consider every single Spike Jonze directed video to be a load of hokey shit. Forget about those amazing Fatboy Slim videos. Those White Stripes videos were all a bunch of gimmicky malarkey. MUTEMATH's videos are beyond useless because of their gimmick value. Weezer's "Buddy Holly" video was such a waste of time. Beastie Boys shouldn't have made any videos at all. All of this, according to you.

2. As far as viral marketing goes, it's a crapshoot. Do you think the guy who made piano cat thought it would have made it's way around the net like it did? Do you think that the guy who did the History of Dance video would have imagined it would have had so many hits on Youtube? No. This is where you're an idiot. You can't ask for "viral marketing" when uploading a video to youtube. If people like it, it will catch on. OK Go made a video, that happened to be extremely creative, and uploaded it to the internet. That is all they did. People liked it. It spread via word of mouth. That is not a gimmick, that is just the power of the internet.

I'm glad that the world doesn't define gimmick the way that you do. Anything creative would automatically be a gimmick.

Creativity =/= gimmick
05:34 PM on 02/21/10
lifeishell
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Apparently he hates the band solely because of that video. What a fucking 'tard.
05:43 PM on 02/21/10
DGlazier
User Info.
kudos for more industry, business related news!
05:47 PM on 02/21/10
MJS87
sounds better on vinyl
User Info.

Multiple successful singles, a grammy, an appearance in "I Love You, Man", use of their songs in multiple video games and movies, several TV appearances, and oh, yeah, some music videos that are pretty groundbreaking and creative. Sure hope I can get past that gimmick....
07:16 PM on 02/21/10
fowruok
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Multiple successful singles, a grammy, an appearance in "I Love You, Man", use of their songs in multiple video games and movies, several TV appearances, and oh, yeah, some music videos that are pretty groundbreaking and creative. Sure hope I can get past that gimmick....
Oh, and the new album's pretty amazing, too.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests