Username
Password

Comments: Page 3
Displaying posts 30 - 45 of 92
04:20 PM on 03/01/10
minusblindfold
Good Morning, Magpie
User Info.
Wow, I could not disagree more. Sounds of Salvation was indeed amazing, but Kingprince in on a whole new level. Lyrical brilliance is unparalleled (as expected), but after listening to this record, the thing that strikes me so much is just how comfortable Nick has become with this style of music.

SoS was a maturing punk trying to make a folk record. KP is him growing into the role and life of a folk troubadour.

Respect your opinion, but haven't disagreed with you this much since you joined staff.
Wow... I don't react to reviews often but this one is way too far from my opinion.
Saying that "Djom" and "Kingprince" are weak tracks is just plain wrong! They're two of the most beautiful tracks I've heard this year.
04:21 PM on 03/01/10
Alex1410
User Info.
coincidently, I just got this album today. Hasn't had much of an impact after 1 listen but its enjoyable. Need to listen to it more anyway.
04:54 PM on 03/01/10
StartAngry&Mad
Lets get these people moving faster
User Info.
then why have someone who isnt feeling a folk album, review it?
should it always be the staff member that loves an album most, be the one who reviews it? if they're knowledgable about the band and genre, I say go for it! It's unfortunate for the fans of the album that he didn't like this, but it happens
05:38 PM on 03/01/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
Ha ha, some of you are taking this review personally.
05:44 PM on 03/01/10
InvisibleImage
User Info.
should it always be the staff member that loves an album most, be the one who reviews it? if they're knowledgable about the band and genre, I say go for it! It's unfortunate for the fans of the album that he didn't like this, but it happens
"when it comes to folk, it's all about the listener being engaged on a personal level, because the surface of the music will rarely be enough to grab a listener by the collar."

nope, but after you said this before, someone that at least seems like they enjoyed the album should review it. you said that yourself...this review is way off.
05:48 PM on 03/01/10
InvisibleImage
User Info.
Ha ha, some of you are taking this review personally.
probably because this band doesn't get any love on this site...yet they deserve a lot, this review is nearly 4 months after the album came out, and it still does not grasp the album well.
05:52 PM on 03/01/10
adamKS
User Info.
while i do agree with some of your points in the review, i think the album deserves higher than a 76%. my rating would be between a 85-90. while i agree there are some weak spots on the album (including the redone songs from their debut) i believe this album is a growth and slightly superior to "sounds of salvation". personally, i love cassino (as i did northstar as well) and both of their albums but i seems to want to spin "kingprince" more often than "salvation".

i feel "kingprince" is slightly more emotional and soulful in certain aspects and i disagree with the album being bottom heavy. i thought it was a bad idea for the band to redo those songs and include them, i would rather have 3 new songs. however, "djom", "maddie bloom", "ghost", and "the river" are my standout tracks. especially djom, which hits me hard emotionally for some reason (maybe its just the ghostly harmonicas). while i love both of their albums, i personally thought this album was a step in the right direction for the band and while i admit its not perfect, its definitely a sincere album full of heart and soul.
05:55 PM on 03/01/10
Chris Collum
User Info.
everybody chilllll and put down your pitchforks...when it comes to folk, it's all about the listener being engaged on a personal level, because the surface of the music will rarely be enough to grab a listener by the collar. The album fell flat for Gregory, but clearly it touched you guys, stop taking it so personally that he doesn't enjoy it the way you do.
hehe...
06:04 PM on 03/01/10
adamKS
User Info.
Wow, I could not disagree more. Sounds of Salvation was indeed amazing, but Kingprince in on a whole new level. Lyrical brilliance is unparalleled (as expected), but after listening to this record, the thing that strikes me so much is just how comfortable Nick has become with this style of music.

SoS was a maturing punk trying to make a folk record. KP is him growing into the role and life of a folk troubadour.

Respect your opinion, but haven't disagreed with you this much since you joined staff.

my thoughts exactly. SOS was nick transitioning from the pop/punk/emo sound of northstar to a folk/country singer songwriter. "kingprince" is nick embracing his talent and destined musical direction and doing it so comfortably and naturally this time around. if there is another cassino album (fingers crossed) i believe it will be a nicks masterpiece. this guy deserves success and i hope he gets it.
06:54 PM on 03/01/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
probably because this band doesn't get any love on this site...yet they deserve a lot, this review is nearly 4 months after the album came out, and it still does not grasp the album well.
Among users and staffers Cassino has received a fair amount of love on this site, and because they don't cover the front page everyday doesn't change that. This review is just one man's opinion, but people act like he's offended them. He didn't even trash the record, he gave it a pretty decent score. Besides, if you disagree so strongly you always have the option of writing your own review.
07:02 PM on 03/01/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
No worries mate. I know you loved it, so I was awaiting your response for quite awhile. I'll say this Steve, I listen to an abundance of folk/country/bluegrass records in a given month, as that is the one genre I am most comfortable with, and this doesn't go anywhere near any of them. To me it sounds poorly produced and very low-budget. He also sounds very uneasy in a few places, so I respectfully disagree with him sounding comfortable. To me, Sounds of Salvation managed to sound well-worn and polished and this to me feels like a step backward. Clearly we disagree there, but so it goes. In the end, we'll agree to disagree, but it just doesn't grab me at all. It's been all I've listened to since my surgery, and I've tried to find ways to love it and I just can't.
Well it probably sounds poorly produced and low budget because it was recorded in a bedroom. No studio, all self-financed. I think I remember in the ap.net chat where Ed or Nick talked about how they had to edit out the sound of a loud truck going by when they were recording "Djom"
07:07 PM on 03/01/10
loveisdead
LGJ
User Info.
Well it probably sounds poorly produced and low budget because it was recorded in a bedroom. No studio, all self-financed. I think I remember in the ap.net chat where Ed or Nick talked about how they had to edit out the sound of a loud truck going by when they were recording "Djom"
That makes me love it even more.
07:33 PM on 03/01/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
This review is long overdue. and now thats its finally here...a huge swing and a miss.
FUCKING THIS.
07:37 PM on 03/01/10
Matt Chylak
contextblues.wordpress.co m
User Info.
and this.
07:46 PM on 03/01/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
"when it comes to folk, it's all about the listener being engaged on a personal level, because the surface of the music will rarely be enough to grab a listener by the collar."

nope, but after you said this before, someone that at least seems like they enjoyed the album should review it. you said that yourself...this review is way off.

But he did enjoy the album? I don't see how 76% is a bad rating. I may have put it slightly higher but it feels like the same album again. Don't get me wrong, I love Cassino and Nick but to get all bent out of shape over a review is ridiculous. Plus a review can't be off, it's an opinion, which is the same as your statement.

The band doesn't get love? For one: they are a folk band, which as a genre doesn't have a huge following on this site. Two: Tons of bands deserve a lot, it's the music industry, it's a tough world. Three: Going from a band like Northstar to Cassino can be very alienating to a fan base given that the music is drastically different. Four: If you don't think he has a good grasp on the album, write your own review and do it justice!

I'm not trying to be an asshole, but someone had to say something.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos