AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Go Jimmy Go - The Girl With The Fishbowl Eyes Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.25
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 87%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.
Inside AP.net

Go Jimmy Go - The Girl With The Fishbowl Eyes

Reviewed by: Brandon Allin (07/30/06)
Go Jimmy Go - The Girl With the Fishbowl Eyes
Release Date: June 28th, 2005
Record Label: Moon Room Records

It seems like in this day and age there's no exaggeration in stating that a trend can be the sole source of influence in shaping one artists career, and while a plethora of musicians may gently fall into the loop, it's those those who enfold what's personal to ones self that hold a true place in my heart. In the case of Go Jimmy Go, Honolulu, Hawaii's answer to the craving for traiditional ska music, these six, rightful performers embrace their unique, diacritic culture and use the distinctive base of their surroundings as a sensational backbone for their brand of music. With their third full-length release, The Girl With the Fishbowl Eyes, Go Jimmy Go incorporate the finest elements of classic soul, reggae, and rocksteady to construct their remarkable blend of insland-inspired melodies.

In comparison to the bands earlier work (most notably the groups 2002 effort Soul Arrival), it's evident that time, patience, and practice have all played significantly drastic roles in concocting the sounds on Fishbowl Eyes. The six-piece, Hawaiian sensation have grown and developed both musically and lyrically in the gap between productions, and as an aged critic of the bands performances, these adjustments could not be greeted with a more buoyant welcome. However, while the acts formulations are deserving of admiration, how do these musicians capabilities fair in terms of sheer enjoyment? Well, in all honesty, The Girl With the Fishbowl Eyes is undoubtedly one of the most inspirational, commendable, and ingenious records the world has ever seen. No, it's not about to stroll down the red carpet, or shape the face of music for centuries to come, but the praise it deserves is nearly undescribable.

The album itself feeds off of the projections of the scenery within the bands general vicinity, while the musicians themselves (lead by vocalist Jason "Bison" Friedmann) have used their organic culture to generate an appealing, incomparable ambience. Friedmann's vocals are glossy throughout the disc, which compliment the records customary, nonchalant vibrations magnificently. However, the authenic talent lies in the performances of the five remaining musicians. It's quite a surprise for any listener upon first discovery of an act whose rhythmic harmonies are so well constructed, and performed with such an elegant ease, that one is left with only disbelief at the realization that such inventions are so conveniently accessable. On the discs second track, "Set Me Free", Go Jimmy Go present an accurate representation of the bands overall projection, but with so many spins and twists put on a standard, simple formula, it's hard to summarize the performance in a single track. "The Governers Daughter", which appears fourth on the document, is a soulful take on an infectious ska measure. However, the most appealing factor in the fourth effort, and even moreso on Fishbowl Eyes as a whole, is the bright, cheerful presence of the bands horn section, which is comprised of tenor saxophonist Eric White and trombonist Fernando Pacheco.

Yet, in terms of originality, and with all culture-inspired influence aside, Go Jimmy Go fail to offer much in terms of dissimilar material. But, is this a pitfall? No, absolutely not. It simply means the group are playing off of a tried and tested, successful, and most importantly, addictive formula, all the while incorporating the unique trademarks they, as musicians, possess. However, thankfully for both the performers and audience alike, the band seem to show little to no trouble in writing a contagious hook, which is most easily apparent on the records fifth track, "Open The Door." The songs chorus, which is without a doubt the most outstanding, beautiful entrapments Fishbowl Eyes has to offer, has the power to become stranded in a listeners head for days, but it's unlikely you'll hear any citizen muttering complaints. But, in all actuality, the attempt at choosing standout tracks exceeds that of a challenge, as Go Jimmy Go run through potential, deserving, instant favourites one after another.

However, no matter how many jubilant proclamations this reviewer can make surrounding this release, it can't quite capture the pure sensation one is left with. To be quite honest, it's almost as if the album itself teleports anyone who may engage oneself in the experience to the island on which it was created, a feeling that is complimented extraordinarly by the words pouring coolly from Friedmann's mouth. "You and I will be together on the beach under a palm tree in the blue moonlight", a line removed from the albums title track "Fishbowl Eyes", is a precise archetype of the sort of vision one will find inside their mind while listening to the record, and I think I speak for the majority by stating that such visual daydreams are more than welcome. In all honesty, it's rather extraordinary how comfortably the band are able to capture the exclusive lifestyle of their birthplace, and incorporate those defining factors into their already awe-inspiring presentation.

In the end, it's safe to say that dissapointment is not a likely occurrence with the release of Hawaii's finest, Go Jimmy Go's third, full-length release. The Girl With the Fishbowl Eyes is an enjoyable experience from the albums opening notes to the final applause. Go Jimmy Go have crafted an album deserving of mainstream attention, highest praise, and critical acclaim from those across the globe. While these Eyes may not be a shade we haven't seen before, they certainly sparkle with all the makings and fastenings of a marvelous effort, and I applaud the band for their incontestable passion. This album comes with the highest recommendation a piece of art can recieve, so do yourself a favour and acknowledge a release that has earned your concentration.

For Fans OfStamp'd, Westbound Train, The Slackers, Bob Marley, and Toots and the Maytals
ListenMySpace | pureVOLUME | Official Website

Displaying posts 1 - 11 of 11
09:42 AM on 07/30/06
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
I always dig your reviews. The only qualm i have with them is that they need a link to where we can sample some of the bands music. I understand it's simple to just type www.myspace.com or www.purevolume.com before the bands name, still it's the only thing I feel is missing.
02:29 PM on 07/30/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by whyte39
I always dig your reviews. The only qualm i have with them is that they need a link to where we can sample some of the bands music. I understand it's simple to just type www.myspace.com or www.purevolume.com before the bands name, still it's the only thing I feel is missing.
You're right. I'm actually going to start including a section on the bottom of my reviews that looks like this:

Listen to Go Jimmy GoMySpace

How does that work for you? Let me know! Oh, and thank you very much for your input. :) I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like the review.
02:42 PM on 07/30/06
whyte39
www.alexwhyte.com
User Info.
Originally Posted by Brandon Allin
You're right. I'm actually going to start including a section on the bottom of my reviews that looks like this:

Listen to Go Jimmy GoMySpace

How does that work for you? Let me know! Oh, and thank you very much for your input. :) I really appreciate it, and I'm glad you like the review.

works like magic. thanks dude.
02:50 PM on 07/30/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by whyte39
works like magic. thanks dude.
My pleasure.
11:29 AM on 07/31/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Originally Posted by apm158
these dudes are sooooooooo tight live
I haven't had the opportunity to see them live just yet, but I don't doubt that.
01:04 PM on 08/01/06
surreality
The Crowd Surfer Dude
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Go Jimmy Go! It's a very good band.
09:26 AM on 08/15/06
Daniel Schultz
the guilded cunt.
User Info.
I keep seeing this CD in the used rack of my local record store.
Thanks for the review...now I know what they're all about.
02:03 AM on 08/17/06
El_Jeffe
In Love With It All
User Info.
such a good disk. people should really listen up to some reviews, thanks to brandon i now love go jimmy go. cheers brother
07:48 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
I keep seeing this CD in the used rack of my local record store.
Thanks for the review...now I know what they're all about.
It was my pleausre. Thank you. :)
07:48 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
such a good disk. people should really listen up to some reviews, thanks to brandon i now love go jimmy go. cheers brother
That's what I like to hear! Thanks, dude.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums