Album Review

Paper Rival - Paper Rival Album Cover

Paper Rival - Paper Rival

Reviewed by
Paper Rival - Paper Rival
Record Label: Photo Finish Records
Release Date: July 10, 2007
Who?

A charming little band out of Nashville, Paper Rival was a four-piece that crafted an astonishingly talented piece of work that retains a stripped feeling even among some of the more instrumentally populated tracks on this Self-Titled EP.

How Is it?

Versatility is always something that strikes me as something of grand importance in an EP. Essentially a sampling of what is to come, several tracks of varying difference can mean the world to a listener who doesn't want a new repackaging of the same old song in every track. In this five song EP, Paper Rival shines the most when you consider how unique (and impressive) each track becomes with every listen. While it's easy to get sucked into the opening tracks simply because of Jake Rolleston's almost dreamy transition into an alluring falsetto, it is the stand out performances by all band members present that make them remarkable. If it's not the stripped and graceful acoustic of "Alabama" that draws you in, it's the deep and tumbling groans of Cody McCall's bass guitar during "You're Right." The fact that no band member goes without shining at least once during this EP is what makes it an admirable effort. The drawl on Rolleston's voice becomes tiresome during a few moments, but these are rare occurrences that are usually immediately corrected by another gleaming moment of impressive musicianship such as the unexpected but appreciated tremolo heard during "Home Is Right Outside Your Window." Paper Rival closes this fine piece of work with a rendition of Bruce Cockburn's "Pacing The Cage", redone with piano pieces and hand claps that show Paper Rival did more than simply cover it, they breathed their own life into the song. If you've been hesitant about checking Paper Rival's work out like I have been in the past, feel no fear when you're told that this is a fantastic place to start with.

Recommended If You LikeDear and the Headlights, Manchester Orchestra, Alive In Wild Paint
This review is a user submitted review from Kbm600. You can see all of Kbm600's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
08:41 PM on 03/21/10
BestBuddies
User Info.
What a terrific release.
02:51 PM on 03/22/10
WoodenSoldier
take your time coming home
User Info.
Love the ep. I had no idea pacing the cage was a cover. I guess i'll go find the original.
04:33 PM on 03/22/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
Love the ep. I had no idea pacing the cage was a cover. I guess i'll go find the original.
It's good. Way more of a folk vibe. Hope the review did the CD justice.
11:45 AM on 05/08/10
PaperRival-Jake
User Info.
10:56 AM on 05/29/10
Kbm600
Here, It Never Snowed
User Info.
You made a good album sir! I'm reviewing the full-length as we speak.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos