Password

Album Review

Julia Nunes - I Think You Know EP Album Cover

Julia Nunes - I Think You Know EP

Reviewed by
Julia Nunes - I Think You Know EP
Record Label: Rude Butler Records
Release Date: Feb. 2, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Having recently completed the most dynamic and revolutionary decade the music business has ever seen, it's truly a mixed bag as to what's in store in the coming months. One thing is for certain, the rise of YouTube-inspired artists will probably only increase. Take for example, upstate New York's Julia Nunes. Posting choice covers and a few rare originals under the name Jaaaaaaaaaaa, Nunes became an overnight sensation. Her sudden fame found her opening select dates with Ben Folds and others. To date, she's released two full-length albums and is currently touring in support of her new EP I Think You Know.

Using her tride-and-true ukelele as her main weapon, the disc opens with "I Think You Know," a sly, cheeky kiss-off not unlike Erin McKeown or Lily Allen. Its playful, sarcastic and quite biting. Showing a softer side, she tackles sentimentality and inner-reflection in "Grown a Pair," a ditty which presents lines like, "I wish that I was taller, like when I go to shows, in truth I wish that I was smaller."

Nunes isn't exactly the next coming of Bob Dylan, but she does offer inspired and impassioned folk-rock. "Through the Floorboards," has the kind of weighty, ruminative musings that has seen Ingrid Michaelson jump to stardom, while the sweetly affecting "August," is a love-letter to a summer romance. The EP's weakest cut is the closer "Comatose," which borrows much of the McKeown-like angst of the title track but delivers far less. Her plinky ukelele is the only thing that saves the song from being an utter failure.

While Nunes isn't exactly inches from the Billboard charts, she most certainly has a charisma and a happy-go-lucky, every woman presence that is very enticing. More importantly, her status as an artist that began her career on a video-hosting Web site will be her lasting contribution. Will she be the artist that opens the floodgates for hordes of wannabes? Or is she the rare exception? An inspired upstart that took her newfound fame and used it to get her foot in the door.

Only time will tell.

Recommended If You Like Kate Nash, Regina Spektor, Lily Allen, Erin McKeown

Find Her Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 23
01:52 PM on 03/05/10
zubinmoosa
Tonight I'm Burning Star IV
User Info.
Great review. Have a huuuuuge crush on this girl
02:08 PM on 03/05/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Great review. Have a huuuuuge crush on this girl
hey, me too!
02:18 PM on 03/05/10
zubinmoosa
User Info.
Seriously, how can you not?
10:34 PM on 03/05/10
amorning_ofsleep
Drink 23 more
User Info.
Ohh Julia Nunes. Awesome.
01:10 AM on 03/06/10
thedroolmonkey
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
she's awesome
09:03 AM on 03/08/10
Rustash
User Info.
Jaaaaaaa- 7 a's.

I've loved everything she's ever done, still waiting for her to come to Philly though...
09:09 AM on 03/08/10
Spenny
Hearts without chains.
User Info.
She's awesome. I'll definitely check this out.
09:34 AM on 03/08/10
Rustash
User Info.
My favorite song of her's is Sugar Coats from her second full length I Wrote These.
10:53 AM on 03/08/10
stonecoldfox
You can't afford to live like this
User Info.
Seriously, how can you not?

I think every guy has crush on julia nunes...some of them just might not realize it yet...
11:07 AM on 03/08/10
gjpinizz
Life With People
User Info.
79% though? its that good?
12:01 PM on 03/08/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
The first time I heard her, told my friend her singing style reminded me of Ben Folds..little did I know that she had already done a cover and played with him! I dig this chick.
12:12 PM on 03/08/10
stereokiller
Nintendo FC: 0962 9717 4432
User Info.
I ripped her Say Anything covers for my ipod! Woe and Alive with the Glory is really good. Glad to see her getting reviewed. Agree with the score, wouldn't even mind if it went a little lower or higher.
01:00 PM on 03/08/10
Whalejaw
I ripped her Say Anything covers for my ipod! Woe and Alive with the Glory is really good. Glad to see her getting reviewed. Agree with the score, wouldn't even mind if it went a little lower or higher.

I really like her cover of Walk Through Hell
02:08 PM on 03/08/10
zubinmoosa
User Info.
Do you have mp3's of those covers you could share?

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos