AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The - Don't You Fake It Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7
Musicianship 5.5
Lyrics 7
Production 5.5
Creativity 4
Lasting Value 4.25
Reviewer Tilt 4.75
Final Verdict: 54%
Member Ratings
Vocals 7.23
Musicianship 6.71
Lyrics 6.25
Production 6.42
Creativity 5.46
Lasting Value 5.98
Reviewer Tilt 6.52
Average: 64%
Inside AP.net
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus, The - Don't You Fake It

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (07/30/06)
THE RED JUMPSUIT APPARATUS - Don't You Fake It

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus has one of more unique and original names in music today. Basically, the Florida quintet randomly picked three arbitrary words and – voila! – their band name was born. Unfortunately, that’s where most of their originality ends. With their Virgin records debut, Don’t You Fake It, RJA dives headfirst into the overcrowded pool of generic pop-punk bands. Produced by David Bendeth, these twelve tracks show glimpses of a potential, but for the most part, they blend in with the same noise I hear on Fuse and MTV everyday.

The album kicks off with the powerful punch of “In Fate’s Hands” and a scream from vocalist Ronnie Winter and instantly Hawthorne Heights comes to mind. Basically, it’s a song that grabs your attention immediately, but it’s a song that gave me false hope. “Waiting” shows the melodic side of the band, but offers nothing new to the table. One of the better tracks is “Face Down,” the first single that has been getting heavy airplay on TV. I respect the lyrics of this song, as they are about domestic abuse and the hook is obnoxiously catchy. RJA also tries its hand at a ballad, with the soft “Cat And Mouse,” a track that reminds me of Cartel’s use of harmony and melody, as it is worth noting that Winter has a pretty good voice. After this song, though, the album goes downhill into mediocrity. “Atrophy” sounds like a b-side from If Only You Were Lonely, while “Seventeen Ain’t So Sweet” and “Justify” take cues from other bands in their scene and mashes them together. “Your Guardian Angel” is an admirable attempt at another dramatic ballad, but instead runs too long and kills the little flow that this album possessed. Though, the final track, “Grim Goodbye,” really shows the potential of this band and what they could do if they put more trust in their sound instead of what is popular right now. A track that spans over 7 and a half minutes, it’s heavy and emotional, building up to the climatic closing out. If you are going to check out one song from this band, at least check this one out, as it is heads and shoulders above the rest of the album’s tracks.

In the end, Don’t You Fake It misses the mark and just falls back into the crowd. Other than a few standout tracks, this album offers nothing to the listener other than a catchy 45 minutes, but after two or three listens, even that becomes too much. Yet, because of the final track of the album, I am not going to write off The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus just yet. But, as for know, I would only recommend this album to those who are fans of Hawthorne Heights, Yellowcard, and Cartel, but “Grim Goodbye,” “Cat and Mouse,” and “Face Down” are worth your 99 cents at the iTunes store. If the Red Jumpsuit Apparatus can mature and grow into their own sound and build off of their strong tracks, then they’ll be a band worth talking about in the future. As for now, they are just another band trying to stay afloat.
Additional InformationTracklisting:
1. In Fate's Hands
2. Waiting
3. False Pretense
4. Face Down
5. Misery Loves Its Company
6. Cat And Mouse
7. Damn Regret
8. Atrophy
9. Seventeen Ain't So Sweet
10. Justify
11. Your Guardian Angel
12. Grim Goodbye
Produced by: David Bendeth

The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus are:
Ronnie Winter - vocals
Duke Kitchens - guitars/vocals
Elias Reidy - guitar/vocals
Joey Westwood - bass/vocals
Jon Wilkes - drums/vocals

Release Date: July 18, 2006
Record Label: Virgin Records
Official Website; Official Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 70
10:06 PM on 07/30/06
Broken Parachute
arte et labore
User Info.
They suck so bad.

Nice review.
10:17 PM on 07/30/06
jfb392
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I hate this band, everyone seems to love them.
Review was still generous, they are the same crap you hear everyday, and that shouldn't be given nearly as much credit.
10:37 PM on 07/30/06
sweetforever
User Info.
face down is the only song of theirs that I enjoy
09:55 AM on 07/31/06
Shatter590
Shinigami Is Watching You
User Info.
keeps reminding me of HH as well, but face down gets on my favorite songs of the year list. its pretty good.
12:21 PM on 07/31/06
Mitch
this is water
User Info.
Good review. I hate this band.
12:27 PM on 07/31/06
myaimistruex3
what about everything?
User Info.
good review
they do have potential, i hope they do better next time around.
12:36 PM on 07/31/06
Julia Conny
"Julia HurriConny"
User Info.
They're signed to Virgin? That makes complete and utter sense.
12:52 PM on 07/31/06
ACA
pm if you want to meet at Riot-Chi
User Info.
I've given this a few spins... for some reason it just seems to be generic. I can't put my finger on it.. but it just seems bland/watered down/generic... I mean, maybe it is.. but hmm

-ACA
12:57 PM on 07/31/06
ironlionOROKU
IRONlionOROKU
User Info.
what a poopy band...nice review as always
01:02 PM on 07/31/06
avoidthesky
You know how I do.
User Info.
I've been waiting for a review on this sucker. We stock this album at work, and I was drawn in by the band name, but the risk's not worth the $14.99.
01:07 PM on 07/31/06
1000shadesofred
Period Blood Sandwich
User Info.
i dont think the album is as bad as you said it is... yes, it is very cookie cutter pop-punk, but it does do some unique things within that genre to make them stand out a bit... i still listen to this cd even though ive had it since like may, its worth a listen people
01:07 PM on 07/31/06
Latane
User Info.
good review. I think the album is balls mahoney.
01:17 PM on 07/31/06
NFG4ever
Let's go RED WINGS !!
User Info.
I like this album , but it has no staying power. it got old pretty quick
01:37 PM on 07/31/06
CWeezer
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i would agree with this. but i'm actually anxious for their next release because i think they could be decent someday. but if this was like a 2nd or 3rd album i would totally write them off.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums