this one? the only song i really hear r&b is clothes off, and that's more funk
on my own time, eh, maybe a little
the rest is poppy as hell, little r&b
10:30 PM on 08/01/06
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
User Info.
Originally Posted by DonByron
B) It's got an old school R&B feel to it. How is that not "hip hop"? I'm sorry if you wanted to buy a Public Enemy CD.... but this has such an Eminem or Kanye feel to it on some songs, and that's just good hip hop fun

there is little to no "old school r&b" on this cd, but there is funk and a small amount of soul
old school r&b consists of jazz, soul and gospel, and artists like fats domino and the neville brothers, and later sam cooke, marvin gaye, otis redding ...there is little to none of that going on here

this has no eminem feel at all, either in the lyrics or the music, so i don't know what the hell you're talking about

this is a hip pop cd, plain and simple...or, if you like, a new evolution of new jack swing
07:22 AM on 08/02/06
CROMagnon
Joe Cool
User Info.
Originally Posted by DonByron
Perhaps I should have validated my statement by saying this CD has a 1970's R&B feel to it. I had no idea I would be critiqued for the era here. But there is definitely the influence of The Jackson 5, Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, etc dripping from these songs. And there is a lot more in the way of singing than rapping on most of the songs.

The Eminem feel is in regards to songs like Biters Block and Scandolous Scholastic. The hooks on a lot of the songs are similar in style to those used by Eminem. Plus little things like the little kids in the chorus, side comments by Travis on his own lyrics, the Sloppy Love Jingles compared to Eminem's skits. But there is a clear comparison for me when I first listened to this CD. Lyrically not so much, but definitely musically in the choruses and the hooks.
i hear very little of what you're talking about
i hear more new jack swing, and maybe a little of run dmc's mix of rock and rap
besides, anything slightly r&b could be influenced by those musicians you mentioned

skits are a common occurrence on rap records and by no means started with eminem, as are having little kids in the chorus
many of those things you're stating were done well before eminem, and eminem only uses them rarely; besides, the only kid on em's choruses was the one or two songs he did with his daughter, so there was a reason for that
what i mean to say is they are not conventional eminem tactics, plus eminem's lyrical intensity isn't mirrored in these songs at all...this is clearly more playful hip pop

i'm not saying this is a bad album, but i really don't see all those influences you're mentioning. all i hear is a few sample based tracks and a few pop rock songs with lyrics rapped over the music (or sung, in the case of a couple of songs...and sung kind of badly)

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos