Username
Password

All Posts by User
Displaying user's 2 posts
07:26 PM on 08/01/06
DonByron
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Best CD of 2006 so far. I don't see how people don't like it. A) Patrick Stump produced it, that's why he sings on it... and that is a dead on update of the song they decided not to "sample" B) It's got an old school R&B feel to it. How is that not "hip hop"? I'm sorry if you wanted to buy a Public Enemy CD.... but this has such an Eminem or Kanye feel to it on some songs, and that's just good hip hop fun C) The lyrics are a step up I think. I especially like all the references to the behind the scenes of being in bands. Lines like "We finish up the peanut butter and jelly that you always get in your rider but never eat" make it worth it especially fun for anyone involved in the music scene D) The Papercut Chronicles was a lot more guitar based, and this is more sample/beat/layer based, but I think it makes it a more complex CD. I guess I can see where TPCC was more indie, but this album is a lot more fun. And don't get me wrong, I LOVE them both. E) I would agree that these guys will probably be on TRL and all that lame stuff sometime soon. I'd bet a major will scoop them if this really takes off like it could. One big tour wil make it possible. F) It was cool to hear shout outs to Boys Night Out and Armor For Sleep and stuff on a CD. It was kind of a new twist to an old tradition.
Bottom line.... I love every track. And William Beckett on "7 Weeks" is amazing. Best song on the CD. I think "Scandolous Scholastics" is a close second also. I can understand the "boy band" feel you mention, because in the beginning it starts off like a Backstreet Boys or Nsync song... I was trying to place what it sounded like and was sad when I figured it out. But after the first 10 seconds it is mind blowing.
11:24 PM on 08/01/06
DonByron
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Perhaps I should have validated my statement by saying this CD has a 1970's R&B feel to it. I had no idea I would be critiqued for the era here. But there is definitely the influence of The Jackson 5, Smokey Robinson, The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, etc dripping from these songs. And there is a lot more in the way of singing than rapping on most of the songs.

The Eminem feel is in regards to songs like Biters Block and Scandolous Scholastic. The hooks on a lot of the songs are similar in style to those used by Eminem. Plus little things like the little kids in the chorus, side comments by Travis on his own lyrics, the Sloppy Love Jingles compared to Eminem's skits. But there is a clear comparison for me when I first listened to this CD. Lyrically not so much, but definitely musically in the choruses and the hooks.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos