AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Right Now, The - Carry Me Home Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.5
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 7.25
Production 9
Creativity 9
Lasting Value 9.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 89%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Right Now, The - Carry Me Home

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (03/10/10)
The Right Now - Carry Me Home
Record Label: Self-released
Release Date: March 3, 2010

Who?
The Right Now are a Chicago-based soul band. Carry Me Home is their debut. Lead singer Stefanie Berecz appeared on P. Diddy's "Making the Band," in 2005 and the group has toured with the likes of Jamie Lidell, Bela Fleck, Justin Townes Earle and Dr. Dog.

How is it?
Stunning.

The greatest album you haven't heard this year comes from a Chicago septet that goes by the name The Right Now. The band's 24-year-old lead singer Stefanie Berecz brings her toddler daughter on tour with them and the band plays a version of jazzy soul that's the greatest thing in the genre since Joss Stone's 2004 Mind, Body and Soul.

The band's epicenter is Berecz, whose strong-lunged vocal gymnastics are nothing short of stunning. Plain and simple she can howl with the best of them. When she wants to be bluesy, she's bluesy. When she wants to be sultry and sweet, bam, she achieves it. When she wants to be gritty, earthy and tenacious, well step out of her way, cause she will slay you. But most importantly, when she wants to be commercial, accessible and radio-ready, well, naturally, she can handle that too. All the credit shouldn't go straight to Berecz however. Her co-writer and the brass section's pivot man is Brendan O'Connell, a keyboardist and guitarist who wrote most of the band's arrangements. To put it simply, he is the Batman to Berecz's Robin.

From front to back Carry Me Home is one of the most consistent and engaging listens that has come across this desk in quite some time. From the very first strains of opener "Ain't Going Back" there is something incredibly seductive, cerebral and gravitating about this band's output. That is most readily defined in lead single and should-be chart topper, "Nobody," which for all intents and purposes the greatest song released this year that no one is listening to. The band continues their soul swagger through the disc's middle half, with the five-minute "I Could Really Hold On," and the near seven-minute "Better Way To Live," grabbing most of the acclaim. The disc's latter half is equally as memorable with the saucy "I'll Get Down," and the tender "The One Way You Love," being the most memorable. The LP rests its laurels on "Carry Me Home," a gorgeous, old-time ballad written for Berecz's daughter Angeline. Stirring, emotive and deeply passionate, it is a perfect way to cap off a near-flawless album.

While throwback music such as this is probably a tough sell, the success of new-soul British singers Amy Winehouse, Duffy, and the aforementioned Stone, reveal that the music-listeners of the world enjoy females that can sing their tails off. Berecz is no exception. With strong support from O'Connell, an air-tight three-part horn section and a rhythm section that doesn't miss a beat, Carry Me Home is to put it simply, a most welcome surprise. Innovative, timeless and worth remembering, the disc is everything that music should be.

Recommended If You Like Joss Stone, Aretha Franklin, Alicia Keys, Adele, Amy Winehouse

Find Them HereMyspace

Displaying posts 1 - 14 of 14
09:13 AM on 03/10/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Quote:
well step out of her way, cause will slay you.
missed the word "she" in there

Interesting review for AP.net but since I live in Chicago maybe I'll see if they're playing somewhere cheap
09:30 AM on 03/10/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
missed the word "she" in there

Interesting review for AP.net but since I live in Chicago maybe I'll see if they're playing somewhere cheap
Nice copy-editing, dude.
And thanks. This isn't anywhere near a typical AP release, but it's worthy of mention. Hopefully others see its merits.
09:35 AM on 03/10/10
zachff
deadformat.net/tradelist/zachff
User Info.
Nice copy-editing, dude.
And thanks. This isn't anywhere near a typical AP release, but it's worthy of mention. Hopefully other see its merits.
Haha just trying to be helpful.
10:18 AM on 03/10/10
bamboo
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
CD Release @ Lincoln Hall - 3/19!
11:29 AM on 03/10/10
dpatrickguy
User Info.
Wait she's 24 and has a daughter old enough to write a song?
11:30 AM on 03/10/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Wait she's 24 and has a daughter old enough to write a song?
I said her daughter was a toddler. What exactly are you referring to?
12:51 PM on 03/10/10
dpatrickguy
User Info.
I said her daughter was a toddler. What exactly are you referring to?
shit read "for her daughter" as "by her daughter" for some reason. My bad haha
04:35 PM on 03/10/10
Romancebled
Sleep underground tonight...
User Info.
she has a great voice. enjoying this.
01:07 AM on 03/11/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
I really love the variety in the work you review.
04:50 AM on 03/11/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I really love the variety in the work you review.
Thank you. Means a lot. It's not something that was unintentional, so that you took the time to notice is truly humbling.
08:32 AM on 03/11/10
highfidelity203
Registered Member
User Info.
Really interested in this after reading the review...glad to see a soul review on AP can;t wait to give them a listen
06:36 PM on 03/11/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
Thank you. Means a lot. It's not something that was unintentional, so that you took the time to notice is truly humbling.
No problem. This album made me blast Norah Jones today so I like it.
03:45 PM on 03/16/10
BerkleeBears
User Info.
Kudos on the throwback. Anything but another Fearless Records disaster.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests