AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Hellogoodbye - Zombies!  Aliens!  Vampires!  Dinosaurs! Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 5
Musicianship 6.5
Lyrics 2
Production 7
Creativity 6
Lasting Value 3
Reviewer Tilt 6
Final Verdict: 51%
Member Ratings
Vocals 6.41
Musicianship 6.88
Lyrics 5.75
Production 7.13
Creativity 7.09
Lasting Value 6.5
Reviewer Tilt 6.97
Average: 67%
Inside AP.net

Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (08/01/06)
Hellogoodbye - Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs!
Release Date: August 8, 2006
Record Label: Drive-Thru Records

[Overall Score: 5.5/10]

Hellogoodbye seems set on recalling the glory days of 80’s new wave fifteen to twenty years too late to be relevant. The genre’s window of fame died out before many of their rabid fans were even born, yet Forrest Kline and friends want to suck that musical teat dry with their first full album. Their debut EP, the Hellogoodbye EP, has soared beyond 85,000 units with their appearances on the MTVU tour, Warped Tour, and MTV. They are currently the band bridging the independent-to-mainstream gap on Drive-Thru Records, and Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! is a bit of an experiment for Hellogoodbye’s debut full-length.

Danceable beats and random spurts of distorted noise highlight the album’s opener, “All Of Your Love.” Hellogoodbye presents naïve relationship-based lyrics (as we grew to expect from their debut EP) that ultimately shift the focus onto the flagrant overproduction because the song lyrically won’t do much for listeners. “Here (In Your Arms)” is the lead single, but unfortunately it fails to stand on its own two feet. With lyrical gems such as “I like where you sleep/When you sleep next to me/I like where you sleep/Here,” it will give previous fans cause to question whether Hellogoodbye might just be a one-EP wonder. Musically, you will still want to throw a dance party and include this song, but just hope no one actually cares about the incredibly one-dimensional lyrics. “All Time Lows” opens with a keyboard intro reminiscent of Motion City Soundtrack’s latest album, spurring the Hellogoodbye dance craze. This song doesn’t plod along, and sounds like it would be right at home on the Hellogoodbye EP; I consider it a standout on this subpar album.

Switching back to the terrible, the band offers up “Stuck To You.” It is perhaps one of the few songs in which differentiation between instruments is possible, but Forrest’s vocals are appalling and almost unlistenable. There is enough distortion already, but he sings in a high pitch for part of the song (while being accented by lower instrumental parts), and the final product sounds atrocious. Hellogoodbye can pull off the songs when they don’t overproduce them or distort them to some sort of unintelligible alien language known only to 13-year old girls.

You won’t need your MTV decoder ring to see the difference when you get to “Homewrecker” and the acoustic-tinged “Oh, It Is Love.” While many heard the “Homewrecker” demo ages ago, the band’s official release of the song marks a turning point for Hellogoodbye. Straightforward songs with mushy hooks that glint in the sunlight are the band’s strong point. “Oh It Is Love” has a bit too much of a cutesy feel to it, but instrumentally it shows a side of the band we have rarely seen. I would liken it to an experimental track (“Jesse Buy Nothing…Go To Prom Anyways” from the EP) with a completely unexpected music style. The final five songs of the album are a mixed bag of tricks. Only “Touchdown Turnaround” is memorable, and “Two Weeks in Hawaii” turned out downright boring. “Figures A and B” reminds me a little bit of a bloated, synth-happy Relient K.

Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! is a definite mixed bag of tricks. It surely is not the worst album out this year, but the music could be much, much better. It lacks a handful of true standout tracks, and that may hurt Hellogoodbye in the end. Drive-Thru will push to get the band on MTV and I anticipate them being successful. If the band can pick up more fans with the new album than they will lose, they can deem it a success. Frankly, this album will not rocket Hellogoodbye to the superstardom they so desire (and from the EP seemed destined for). When they decide to focus a bit more on instrumentation over digitization, I am confident they can write a record to please both sides of the aisle. Until then, Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! is one of my major disappointments of 2006.

Buy Hellogoodbye's Zombies! Aliens! Vampires! Dinosaurs! on iTunes

Track List01. All Of Your Love
02. Here (In Your Arms)
03. All Time Lows
04. Stuck To You
05. Homewrecker
06. Oh, It Is Love
07. Baby, It’s Fact
08. Figures A And B (Means You And Me)
09. I Saw It On Your Keyboard
10. Touchdown Turnaround (Don’t Give Up On Me)
11. Two Weeks In Hawaii
Listen to HellogoodbyeMyspace | Purevolume | Official Site

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 139.
07:52 PM on 08/01/06
HazeLitRise
i spit hot fire
User Info.
ouch, i dont think i've seen a 2.
but i kinda agree, weak lyrics.
07:55 PM on 08/01/06
anthony_jr
User Info.
most people don't know that almost all of these songs were basically written before the band was even signed to drive-thru records. i thought this album would be all new material because everything took so long, but i was amazed when i heard the old tunes on the e-card.
07:58 PM on 08/01/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by anthony_jr
most people don't know that almost all of these songs were basically written before the band was even signed to drive-thru records. i thought this album would be all new material because everything took so long, but i was amazed when i heard the old tunes on the e-card.
Yeah. Most of the demos are better than the album cuts except for "Touchdown Turnaround."
07:59 PM on 08/01/06
YoSoyElJosh
So Freaking Cool
User Info.
I haven't heard it myself, but I'm not really a fan of the fact that the album is half comprised of older songs, a lot of which aren't all that great, and really don't showcase the dancey, fun side I came to expect after hearing the EP.

Part of me wonders if maybe Hellogoodbye was having so much fun touring, that they weren't really interested in writing songs, which resulted in a lack of new material.

Again, I haven't heard the album yet, so I can't say whether I agree with what the reviewer is saying, but I know that the two songs I have heard aren't up to the bar set by the EP, and I wouldn't be surprised if the reason was the touring.

That said, I still love Hellogoodbye, and I'd love to see them again, I just hope their material improves with the next release.
07:59 PM on 08/01/06
ram04004
User Info.
Alternative Press gave the album a 5....which leaves me with some hope. But i dont think anyone expected this ablum to have deep lyrics and such. All it needs to be is fun
08:00 PM on 08/01/06
Cue the Sun
I'm not sad anymore
User Info.
Wow... that's one low score
08:01 PM on 08/01/06
Of Dust and Nations
So roll me further, bitch.
User Info.
i dont agree with this review at all. this is an awesome pop record and very enjoyable imo. personally, i wasnt expecting good instrumentation or meaningful lyrics. i was expecting a fun, catchy summer album that i could blast down the road in my car and thats what came out.
08:05 PM on 08/01/06
dukeboy1986
...is well Heeled!
User Info.
Originally Posted by sup103
i dont agree with this review at all. this is an awesome pop record and very enjoyable imo. personally, i wasnt expecting good instrumentation or meaningful lyrics. i was expecting a fun, catchy summer album that i could blast down the road in my car and thats what came out.

I concur although it wasn't worth the 5 Alt. Press gave it. This website is a happy medium between Pitchfork and Alternative Press.
08:06 PM on 08/01/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
Originally Posted by Cue the Sun
Wow... that's one low score
A 5.5 isn't a "low score." We've given much lower, and a 5 is in the middle of the scale. Below average (this album was far below expectations), but not unlistenable. If it got a 2 or 3 overall, that would be a low score.
08:08 PM on 08/01/06
ren989
User Info.
Whatevs. I like this album. I'm clearly not looking for a musical masterpiece when I spin this album, just a fun summer time album.
08:09 PM on 08/01/06
PaintTheTarget
Thrice Fanboy
User Info.
Yeah, I understand everybody being dissapointed that its a record mainly made up of songs that have been around awhile...thats a legit beef. Yet, I don't have a problem with the overly cheesey lyrics, as they are basically meant to be that way and are really no different than from their EP. I want a fun album with stupid lyrics that remind me of when I was a little less mature and this does it for me. Not an artistically amazing album, but I enjoy it and hell, they'll always be fun live.
08:12 PM on 08/01/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor | @drewberinger | Locked Groove
User Info.
Nice review, though I disagree a ton, my review will be up tomorrow :)
08:12 PM on 08/01/06
(joeyman)
...is a real pirate.
User Info.
did anyone really expect mind blowing lyrics from this band? for what they are, they're good. i for one am excited for this cd. it will def be one of those ones you pop in for an instant good time .
08:13 PM on 08/01/06
xPaulWallx
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
good review. hellogoodbye sucks. i love how everyone is somehow satisfied with a horrible lyrics. and keeps reiterating the whole, its good for what it is deal, yeah its crap and if you like good crap then more power to you.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests