Password

Album Review

House vs. Hurricane - Perspectives Album Cover

House vs. Hurricane - Perspectives

Reviewed by
House vs. Hurricane - Perspectives
Record Label: Shock
Release Date: March 5, 2010
In 2008, House vs. Hurricane released their ambitious EP Forfeiture, which incorporated techno breakdowns amongst tidy post-hardcore, and split their prospective audience into two minds. For two years, the battle has raged between those who believed the Melbourne, Australia sextet innovators, and those who considered them ridiculous. Their debut album, Perspectives, is House vs. Hurricane’s resounding response.

The opening track “Leaps & Bounds” is a perfect example of what to expect from the album. Beginning with a pleasant ambience, the track builds slowly as each member contributes to the track, only to erupt into a sound reminiscent of older Misery Signals. Soon after, with guitars chugging and breakdowns imminent in the near-metalcore sound, Joey Fragione breaks in, first with a dash of the keys you would have expected from previous efforts, followed up with some intense moments on the piano. The clean, pure sound of the piano is perfect introduction to Ryan McLerie’s soft, yet somewhat eerie vocals, which although scarce throughout the album, deliver some of the most memorable moments on Perspectives.

The album continuously pummels the listener with similar guitar tones and thunderous drumming, all the while lead vocalist Christopher Dicker delivering anthemic, inspiring lyrics in his harsh, gravelly voice. Whilst they incorporate the same sound throughout, this in no way detracts from the final product. The tracks on Perspectives generate their own moments of individuality, whether it’s through Fragione’s substantial contributions or the contrasting vocals of Dicker and McLerie.

There are brief moments where House vs. Hurricane revert back to their old sound on tracks like “Lesson Learnt” and “Orphan” let the keyboard take control. In most cases, this results in a danceable, slightly confusing and awkward moment, but is soon reined in by chugging guitars and Dicker’s imposing vocals. Though their debut EP was unique in how it blended techno into their songs, it often fumbled in the change between the two. Perspectives still incorporates the sounds they began with, however rather than separate entities tacked on after one another, the two are blended often seamlessly, and prove to be a step forward in the maturity of their songwriting.

McLerie shines once more on “So They Say”, as he closes out the track over vigorous guitar and a slowed, more epic beat. However, as the album reaches its end, many of the earlier tracks begin to be overshadowed by the sheer brilliance of the closing four tracks. “Positively Shifted” is a summation of everything House vs. Hurricane strive for, with the persistent beat of Sam Osborne driving a track full of passion. The keyboard is distinctively strong, though it's kept in check perfectly by Dicker’s growls. “Positively Shifted” provides the perfect blend of heavy and soft: Fragione’s keys and chugging guitars, breakdowns and catchy beats.

The three-part closing tracks can really be considered one long track, with the instrumental track in the middle tying the two together effortlessly. “I. Sinister in Many Forms” brings with it some of the standout guitar work on the album, along with some particularly heavy breakdowns for the kids to flail their arms to. “III. Nevermore” is an earnest closure to the album, McLerie once more getting a chance to express vocally, and the two entangle lines to cue the closing notes, with harmony and resolve.

House vs. Hurricane have vastly developed their sound between releases, and it can only be seen as progression from the ambitious Forfeiture. Instrumentally tight and lyrically stirring, Perspectives should be the step House vs. Hurricane need to propel them into the view of a greater audience, while still acknowledging what they set out to do.

Recommended If You Likepost-hardcore with keys; Misery Signals; Enter Shikari

myspace.com/housevshurricane
This review is a user submitted review from bolgy99. You can see all of bolgy99's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12
08:25 PM on 03/26/10
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
Well written review, need to check this out.
12:21 PM on 03/28/10
TROKyle
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Love this band.
05:08 PM on 03/31/10
mike001359
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Great review dude, gonna check this out. I downloaded it, but never listened to it.
09:06 PM on 03/31/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Claim to fame on AP: Went to high school with Chris the guitarist
06:41 AM on 04/02/10
blissfulrain
I want to dream.
User Info.
Sucky album. Good band, but the album was a major letdown.

Forfeiture > Perspectives
07:18 AM on 04/02/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Sucky album. Good band, but the album was a major letdown.

Forfeiture > Perspectives
Any particular reason? Just interested.
07:21 AM on 04/02/10
blissfulrain
I want to dream.
User Info.
Any particular reason? Just interested.
Forfeiture was a very unique album and had great key parts and synth parts. This album seems like they're just trying to do that but incorporate it more into the music. Some of the key parts seem so out of place. It was a really forgettable album for me. I only really liked two songs from it.
04:00 PM on 04/02/10
bolgy99
Adam
User Info.
Forfeiture was a very unique album and had great key parts and synth parts. This album seems like they're just trying to do that but incorporate it more into the music. Some of the key parts seem so out of place. It was a really forgettable album for me. I only really liked two songs from it.
Fair enough. I felt the key/synth parts were very forced on Forfeiture, and the transitions were fairly sloppy, but I do see how Forfeiture was more unique. Don't get me wrong, I like Forfeiture. By smoothing out their transitions they did make themselves blend in with other bands a little too well.
04:02 AM on 04/11/10
CheckeredFloors
nah
User Info.
Literally just got back from seeing them at HQ.
They played 3 or 4 new songs and they were all pretty sweet.

Still haven't listened to the whole album yet though...
06:43 AM on 04/16/10
Midgar777
Music is Life
User Info.
I'm listening to this at work at the moment. It's a great album, the songs manage to be original but they all have the familiar synth sounds that HvH had on their first release. It's a real grower so I recommend giving it a listen. Great review btw!
08:49 PM on 06/08/10
JTDultimate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Bit of a dissapointment this one... Considering there old stuff was so original and catchy I found this to be alot more bland and repetitive. Apart from a few really good songs, a lot of the content just didn't seem to flow properly. And I really disliked the constant noise from the keys which just didn't seem to match the rest of the band. I must admit I was expecting something amazing from them but they just couldn't fill my expectations with this one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos