AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Classic Crime, The - Vagabonds Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8.5
Creativity 6.5
Lasting Value 8
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 77%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.43
Musicianship 8.18
Lyrics 8.68
Production 8.05
Creativity 8.05
Lasting Value 8.68
Reviewer Tilt 8.53
Average: 84%
Inside AP.net

Classic Crime, The - Vagabonds

Reviewed by: Blake Solomon (03/12/10)
The Classic CrimeVagabonds
Record Label: Tooth and Nail Records
Release Date: April 6, 2010

9/10ths of everything is effort. (Do you really need examples? I’m not a teacher.) But basically the point is this, if I took the time to foster relationships with bands or labels or my parents, I’d be much farther along. Instead I sit in a corner and wait for the wind to turn in my direction. It happens much less than you think, mostly because I’m kind of skinny and very white. I don’t blame the wind for missing me; I blame myself for being easily lost.

So good for The Classic Crime’s label, Tooth and Nail, for somehow tracking me down. I received a free copy of the band’s album Vagabonds and I’m totally bragging about it. This must be what it feels like to be Drew Beringer. You suck; nobody will ever send you a free record. You have to steal them, and for that you are no better than – insert humorous villain reference from a mid-90’s movie.

By the time “Four Chords” played through with its ridiculous catchiness and radio playability, I knew I had a winner. But Vagabonds is more than one great alternative rock song. It’s 11 great alternative rock songs. Opener “A Perfect Voice” rolls by at a pace that’s perfect for self-recollection. “Vagabonds” is riff after riff of fist-pumping optimism.

Honestly I don’t know anything about The Classic Crime other than the fact that this record is both deep and banal. No matter which level your brain is prepared to accept Vagabonds, you will leave the experience sated. Even weird takes on Gatsby’s American Dream like “The Happy Nihilist” or a soft-rock-for-acne-teens musing like “Different Now” work due to their astronomical levels of sincerity. There are moments when you may think, “Are they really into this?,” but vocalist Matt MacDonald always answers with another heartfelt wail. It’s clear that Vagabonds is more than the band’s next record. He jumps from human truth to human truth with the fervor of a wide-eyed teenager. But the joy comes from the fact that he makes observations with the intelligence of a person who’s seen it all (i.e. closer “Broken Mess").

Basically Vagabonds is at once nothing more than you’d expect from a “normal” rock band on Tooth and Nail and also what seems to be the label’s specialty: super smart re-imaginings of the crap inhabiting our radio airwaves. The Classic Crime have enough awareness to sidestep Three Doors Down Syndrome, so instead Vagabonds becomes that rare record in which you must really dig for the goodies. But trust me when I say the goodies are worth it.

Recommended If You Like: Run Kid Run, Story of the Year, Emery

recall anymorewww.myspace.com/theclassiccrime

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 64
09:26 PM on 03/12/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
Very excited for this.
& if Blake approves...That makes me happy.
09:36 PM on 03/12/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
lol awesome review
09:39 PM on 03/12/10
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
Humorous mid-90's villain: Shredder.
10:41 PM on 03/12/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
By the way, whatever happened to Run Kid Run? I liked their first album.
11:08 PM on 03/12/10
gr33ndayfr3ak
www.nickferran.com
User Info.
Pretty much what I was expecting out of this album after the somewhat less-than-awesome-tracks I've heard so far. I love everything else they've done, so I'll definitely still give this a shot regardless.
05:19 PM on 03/13/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
these guys have a lot of potential, lets see if they capture that potential on this record
08:25 PM on 03/13/10
S9Dallasoz
Knows the words to 'Bye Bye Bye'
User Info.
By the way, whatever happened to Run Kid Run? I liked their first album.
Get their 2nd one.

3rd one coming this year I believe.
08:35 PM on 03/13/10
Matthew Tsai
Born and raised
User Info.
Get their 2nd one.

3rd one coming this year I believe.
I didn't like their 2nd one, but I definitely will check out anything new by them.
08:49 AM on 03/14/10
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
Interesting. I love Mac's vocals and I enjoyed the last record, but not as much as a whole effort like their debut. The first song I heard from this really gave me a "meh" feeling, but I'm still anticipating its release. When is this due out?
07:08 PM on 03/14/10
Down Set Go
God knows that I've tried.
User Info.
Interesting. I love Mac's vocals and I enjoyed the last record, but not as much as a whole effort like their debut. The first song I heard from this really gave me a "meh" feeling, but I'm still anticipating its release. When is this due out?
It's in the first section of the review...

April 6th. Did you even bother to find out yourself?
07:16 PM on 03/14/10
jusscali
EMO REVIVAL IS FOR BITCHES
User Info.
It's in the first section of the review...

April 6th. Did you even bother to find out yourself?
No, thanks for saving me the trouble pal!
10:26 PM on 03/14/10
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.
Does it make me a bad person for being kind of disappointed that this is a record of "fist-pumping anthems" and that there's a 3 Doors Down reference?
10:44 PM on 03/14/10
A7XXX
Temple Pressure
User Info.
I totally agree that Matt's lyrics are so real and relate-able. I fell in love with the Albatross so I hope that Vagabonds won't disappoint.
10:51 PM on 03/14/10
tjm125
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Banal? That worries me. I really love Silver Cord and Seattle Sessions, and I still have high hopes for this album. Good review though.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums