|Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.|
Goonies Never Say Die - 03.15.10
|The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:|
Goonies Never Say Die
1. How did you get your band name?
We stole it off a film, we never intended to keep it however we forgot to change the band name. It was supposed to be both a cinematic reference point and a light hearted name to counter balance the serious and often dark nature of the music. It represents the light side to the dark tone of the music and how life is not all bad.
2. How did this band get started?
Barry and Trenell had previously played together in the bands Ramonastone and Das Hasselhoffs. After Ramonastone split up Barry was asked to start a band with Simon, who he knew as Simon had recorded one of his previous bands, they found Kerr in the pub and recruited Jimi from another band Simon has recorded. They forgot to get a singer and didn't realise until someone pointed it out last week.
3. What bands are you influenced by?
We don't have any group influences really. Simon and Kerr like The Foo Fighters. Barry, Jimi and Simon all like Mogwai and Explosions in the Sky. Kerr and Jimi like Led Zeppelin, Barry and Trenell LOVE yourcodenameis:milo. Barry likes The Cure and David Bowie a little too much and everyone in the band likes Biffy Clyro as well as And So I Watch You From Afar and Flight of The Conchords.
4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
David Bowie, we could be his backing band and play magic dance from labyrinth.
5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
We would rather not be, it sounds like hard work.
6. Why should people listen to your band?
We put a lot of effort into the music, we try to be the best we can and shy away from writing commercial pop music just because we think it will sell. We are all poor but we are making music we love and at the end of the day thats what its all about.
7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
Errrr I can't comment on this yet I dont think. Very hard I think, harder than it is to actually play the songs
8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
David Bowie, Deep Elm, our mummies and daddies, our ladies, David Bowie again, Flight of The Conchords and Blackpool for being so damn rock.
9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
Less commercial reality stars in the charts. More focus on new and innovative music, more Goonies Never Say Die.
10. Memorable tour experience?
None that we should mention
11. What does AP.net mean to you?
They said nice things about us and were the first people to give us a chance. We enjoy having a nosey through the forums.
12. What is your favorite song to play?
Personally (Barry) that's not a knife this is a knife or a new untitled one, its currently called 'new new one.'
13. What is your vacation spot of choice?
I don't have time to go on vacation :(
14. What music reminds you of your childhood?
(Barry) David Bowie - Labyrinth soundtrack, U2, Wham and Duran Duran.
15. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Errrr make crops grow in third world countries, shrink simon cowell and x-ray vision.
16. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
I won't feel we have made it until Jon Bon Jovi is my manservant.
17. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
Despite playing dark themed instrumental post rock we don't take ourselves or our lives too seriously, we get rid of all our angsty emotions through the music, maybe they do know that. Errrrr, I think we are a bit too open about ourselves sometimes.
18. What's your favorite holiday?
19. What do you like to do in your spare time?
We don't have spare time :( we have day jobs as well as the band.
20. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Barry is an ace designer, Trenell is a comic genius, Simon is really a blonde.
09:19 PM on 03/15/10
I wake up to the sound of music.
10:27 AM on 03/29/10
the ridiculous nature of the answers is why they don't let me conduct live interviews. this one only slipped through because i got into the band email first.
our new single is out in may, head to www.gooniesneversaydie.co.uk
and sign up to the mailing list to find out when its released, its the first song taken from our rather good second album
More From This Author
Buy the Music