Password

Album Review

Say it Twice - Say it Twice EP Album Cover

Say it Twice - Say it Twice EP

Reviewed by
Say it Twice - Say it Twice EP
Record Label: Authentik Artists
Release Date: March 23, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
Who?
Say it Twice is a quintet, originally from South Florida, that has relocated to Los Angeles. This five-song EP, produced by James Paul Wisner (Paramore, Underoath) is their debut.

How is it?
As appealing as the VH1 Top 20 Countdown.

Though its reality TV shows probably get more attention than its music programming, VH1 has quietly maintained its goal of providing music videos to the music consumers of the world, a goal its one-time arch-rival (and now parent company) MTV has failed to achieve. Anyone who watches the channel's Top 20 Countdown is usually treated to a mix of Top 40 pop-rock, R&B and sometimes country. Their demographic stretches the gamut from tweens to retirees.

The Los Angeles band Say it Twice are just the kind of band that VH1 could fall in love with. At its core the music is honest, unadorned, inoffensive pop-rock. There's a bevy of soaring vocals, swelling choruses and a mid-tempo simplicity that seems certain to find a fan for anyone ages 8-80. The vocals are comfortable and welcoming. Never once are they over-the-top or underwhelming. With an accomplished rhythm section and layers of piano and guitars, there's a certain charisma at work that should not be overlooked. Opening song "The Road You Know," and penultimate track "Getaway," are proof that this band knows its way around a song.

While it can certainly be labeled as derivative, ho-hum and borderline commercial, there is enough sun-drenched optimism to find favor the world over. As an example, Colorado's OneRepublic doesn''t exactly offer first-rate lyrics, but their choruses are damn near unshakable. That seems to be the fate for Say it Twice. They clearly know how to write clean hooks and simple melodies and it is a skill that should only help them down the line. That is not to suggest that Say it Twice are going to strike it big tomorrow, but there's enough on this five song EP to think they might turn some heads given the right exposure. Having already played The Honda Civic tour and Bambooze Left they appear to be on their way.

VH1, anyone?

Track Listing 1. 1. The Road You Know
2. Love Learn
3. Speed Of The Drum
4. Getaway
5. Lies

Recommended If You Like OneRepublic, U2, The Maine, Eye Alaska

Find Them Here Myspace

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 18
11:56 AM on 03/16/10
Steve Henderson
Retired
User Info.
The production on this EP is incredible. James Paul Wisner is one of the best around.
12:00 PM on 03/16/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
The production on this EP is incredible. James Paul Wisner is one of the best around.
Amen to that.
01:44 PM on 03/16/10
sevinw0rds
Polyrhythms!
User Info.
Very cool dudes, shared the stage with them a few times and I'm stoked to see them doing well on the west coast.
04:09 PM on 03/16/10
BerkleeBears
User Info.
Finally a solid new band. Glad to see a new band that's not riding the bubble-gum pop-punk coat tails. If the song on their Myspace is an indication of what the record is gonna sound like....IM SOLD. Can't wait to hear the whole EP. Oh, and yes. James Wisner is a master.
04:16 PM on 03/16/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
I will have to check this out. They seem like something I would dig.
06:00 PM on 03/16/10
Rocco Siffredi
User Info.
Saw these guys in San Diego and it was nahsty! Someone should sign them if they're not signed already.
09:27 AM on 03/17/10
Enoma Otenki
otenkirocks.com
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
love the band. stoked to be working with their producer in june. they definitely have potential to be big.
09:40 AM on 03/17/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Truth.

Nice review Gregory.
03:06 PM on 03/17/10
Wake Up
█▓▒░░
User Info.
I just don't like this kid's voice.
01:25 PM on 03/18/10
TheRxBandit
nope.avi
User Info.
I actually like this too...it's simple but easy to like.
01:30 PM on 03/18/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
I actually like this too...it's simple but easy to like.
Yep. Exactly. That's the inherent charm of it.
02:47 PM on 03/20/10
alexcreate
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
not bad at all
02:05 AM on 04/27/10
rush7645
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I absolutely love this band! I agree with all of the comments except for WakeUp's comment. :)

Used Musical Instruments Store
06:32 PM on 06/20/10
michael889vinto
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
they seem almost too simple. but they are actually great!
i just hope they keep going the right way all the way

news Cinema

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests