Password

Album Review

Jeremy Larson - Salvation Club Album Cover

Jeremy Larson - Salvation Club

Reviewed by
Jeremy Larson - Salvation Club
Record Label: None
Release Date: December 23, 2008
With arrangements laced in ethereal beauty and a songwriting charm unmatched by his peers, Jeremy Larson is slowly but surely beginning to make a name for himself. Doing everything from contributing string arrangements for the likes of Sleeping at Last on their new album (the song "Chandeliers"), and also assisting with strings on MuteMath's latest as well, Larson was soon to be discovered for his solo work. He released his self-titled full-length debut for Outlook Music Company in 2007, and the collection of swooning melodies became recognized by the music community at-large. I must say that as splendid as his first effort was, Salvation Club is even more angelic.

Larson's captivating layers of sincere string compositions rise above the fold. The piano work is unflappable, consistently gliding through tracks cascading in a sea of melody. "Exposition" is a wonderful display of enticing measures, while "Wintersong" is an emotional roller-coaster of unrelenting harmonies that resonate in perfect time. The album demands attention. One would find it extremely difficult to play this while finishing daily tasks, because it's necessary to stop and appreciate the beauty. "Where They Sleep" contains an unmistakable appeal by leading off with an acoustic melody before being brushed away by a captivating piano piece.

During the bridge of "Self-Esteem," yet another example of Larson's wonderful songwriting ability, Larson loudly cries, "And you're still my only one!" Words, unfortunately, are not able to capture the feeling after hearing these words reverberate and pierce the soul, causing the outbreak of goosebumps aligning my sleeves. The sheer emotion of the track is enchanting enough to the point of finding most other forms of music tawdry and formulaic. "Immovable" is a proclamation of doubt, indecision, and self-condemnation. Sounds depressing, but it's actually quite palatable as Larson sings, "And the Lord is watching patiently, His eyes are on the fool. But my eyes are closed in self-defeat; I remain immovable."

Though his musical aptitude exceeds pretty much everyone else's in this particular music scene, Larson remains humble and patient. His music is on the level that every other artist should aspire to reach, and it's time to take notice.

Recommended If You LikeSleeping at Last; Death Cab for Cutie; Copeland

myspace.com/jeremylarson
This review is a user submitted review from inthemidst. You can see all of inthemidst's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 8 of 8
06:33 PM on 03/31/10
InBetweenAisles
WeReadTheSignsCompletelyB ackwards
User Info.
Jeremy Larson is an amazing musician. Good review.
12:58 AM on 04/01/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
This is an amazing album. Self-Esteem is an incredible track. Brilliant review, as always, by the way.
11:45 AM on 04/01/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
This is an amazing album. Self-Esteem is an incredible track. Brilliant review, as always, by the way.
Most definitely. I'd say "Immovable" would have to be my favorite track, but "Self-Esteem" is a close second.

Thanks for the compliment, brother!
07:08 AM on 04/27/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Nice review, man! I've been listening to Jeremy Larson non-stop on myspace. He's one talented individual. Now I just need to source out his albums.
09:12 AM on 05/03/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Nice review, man! I've been listening to Jeremy Larson non-stop on myspace. He's one talented individual. Now I just need to source out his albums.
Thanks dude! If you go digital, the albums are available on iTunes, and AmazonMP3. If you're a physical-album only kind of guy, the only way you could get this album would be live only, or you could e-mail him, or send him a Myspace message, and he'll figure out a way to get the album to you. I bought this album from him when I saw him last year with Sleeping at Last. He's really one of the nicest guys I've ever met, so I'm sure he'd help you out.
12:58 AM on 05/04/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Thanks dude! If you go digital, the albums are available on iTunes, and AmazonMP3. If you're a physical-album only kind of guy, the only way you could get this album would be live only, or you could e-mail him, or send him a Myspace message, and he'll figure out a way to get the album to you. I bought this album from him when I saw him last year with Sleeping at Last. He's really one of the nicest guys I've ever met, so I'm sure he'd help you out.
Yep, getting a physical album is my style. As I live in Australia, there's virtually no hope of me seeing him live but I managed to find a place where I can buy it online! https://www.redvelvetart.com/jeremy-larson

Wahoo! Looking forward to receiving both albums.
08:42 AM on 05/04/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Yep, getting a physical album is my style. As I live in Australia, there's virtually no hope of me seeing him live but I managed to find a place where I can buy it online! https://www.redvelvetart.com/jeremy-larson

Wahoo! Looking forward to receiving both albums.
Awesome! Trust me, you won't be disappointed with either one.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos