Username
Password
Warner Brothers News
Hint: Have a news tip? Submit us news.
Warner Brothers
Inside AP.net

Warner Music Plans To Sell Albums On DVD

Posted by: Rohan Kohli (08/05/06)
The Wall Street Journal recently wrote an article on how Warner Music Group, in an attempt to spark increased sales of physical product, is "in the final stages of securing technical licenses that will enable it to sell a bundle of music and extra features on a single DVD, according to people familiar with the matter. The DVD would include a music album that plays in both stereo and surround-sound on a standard DVD player -- plus video footage that plays on a DVD player or a computer. There will also be song remixes, ring tones, photos and other digital extras that can be accessed on a computer." (Coolfer)

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 20.
09:20 AM on 08/05/06
KillMeTheKing26
http://twitter.com/killmetheking26
User Info.
does this mean that they are going to start costing more too?
09:27 AM on 08/05/06
Rohan Kohli
True Punk Fan
User Info.
does this mean that they are going to start costing more too?

I'm guessing it'll be like most new formats - probably pricey at first, and then it will normalize after some time

EDIT: "Warner is not proposing any generic name for the new format, beyond simply "DVD album." The company plans to encourage retailers to stock them alongside normal CD albums on shelves, and they would likely carry a higher price tag, though just how much higher will probably be determined by the amount of extras included on any given disc. The company plans to continue releasing albums on CD, too, for the foreseeable future.

But there are some stumbling blocks that may discourage consumers from embracing DVD albums. The new discs would not play on normal CD players, meaning consumers could not simply pop their new discs into their car stereos or other players. And users would not be able to copy the main audio mix onto their computers. On the proposed DVD album, the main audio mix is to be protected by the same software that already protects the content on normal DVDs."
09:28 AM on 08/05/06
badfish989
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
or they could just adjust to changing technology and make it all downloadable.....
09:30 AM on 08/05/06
KillMeTheKing26
http://twitter.com/killmetheking26
User Info.
I'm guessing it'll be like most new formats - probably pricey at first, and then it will normalize after some time

But there are some stumbling blocks that may discourage consumers from embracing DVD albums. The new discs would not play on normal CD players, meaning consumers could not simply pop their new discs into their car stereos or other players. And users would not be able to copy the main audio mix onto their computers. On the proposed DVD album, the main audio mix is to be protected by the same software that already protects the content on normal DVDs."

gayyyyyyyyy
09:30 AM on 08/05/06
dumbcorey
disarm you with a smile.
User Info.
or this will decrease in people actually purchasing albums since you cant listen to them in your car or any normal cd player and ppl will just download the album for free. this is so lame.
09:31 AM on 08/05/06
Alex DiVincenzo
www.alexislegend.com
User Info.
Kind of a cool idea I guess but it won't work.
09:39 AM on 08/05/06
wypij
User Info.
sounds horrible... who listens to music like that? i never play any music in my living room.. only in my car.. ipod.. and my computer.. uhhh yeah this is lame
09:39 AM on 08/05/06
Alba
We looked like giants.
User Info.
They shouldn't bother wasting there time. I doubt many people would buy that as opposed to a normal CD, or at least I know I wouldn't.
10:19 AM on 08/05/06
MotionIsntMeaning
Fake Punk Fan
User Info.

It kind of sounded like a good idea until I read this part. I only really listen to music on my iPod so it would be a waste of money for me. Digital is the future, record companies need to embrace it not fight it.
10:25 AM on 08/05/06
Wheez
Plays Pretty For Baby
User Info.
I just bought a cd at best buy that was normal cd (playable in a cd player/car) on one side, and the other side was a DVD.

I think going to a format like that would be lightyears more consumer friendly.
11:02 AM on 08/05/06
BIGDeVriendt
Skank Enthusiast!
User Info.
Who in the hell would want to buy music that cant be played in your car or computer!? pointless idea.
12:01 PM on 08/05/06
Roboman
Don't Mind If I Didn't
User Info.
I just bought a cd at best buy that was normal cd (playable in a cd player/car) on one side, and the other side was a DVD.

I think going to a format like that would be lightyears more consumer friendly.

Yeah, that's a DualDisc. I think they're okay, but I've had a few problems with ripping them (I only own 3, though).

And yeah, this is completely fucking stupid. Not being able to rip it? Lame. And of course it wouldn't work in a normal CD player. Lame.
12:13 PM on 08/05/06
mr chainsaw
lets all go to the magician's b-day
User Info.
you guys are all negative nancys...what if they just made a decoder for ripping and a carstereo system that read both cd's and dvd's...plus a dvd can hold a hell of a lot more info than a cd...bands could make albums that were 80+ minutes(but they wouldnt) or bands could release like a catalogue dvd that has every track from every album they ever released how cool would that be
01:27 PM on 08/05/06
CoasterGuy2
User Info.
Have they not heard of DVD Audio or what? That came out at least 5 years ago and bombed. I don't see how this is any different. In fact, it is exactly the same. Good luck Warner.

On a more personal note, I would be willing to embrace this new format for it's superior audio quality (and would gladly update my car to play this technology) if they release good albums on it. That was my beef with DVD Audio a while back.
Options
Related News Stories

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS