AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jaguar Love - Hologram Jams Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 8
Creativity 7.25
Lasting Value 7
Reviewer Tilt 7.5
Final Verdict: 75%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 4.13
Production 9.75
Creativity 5.88
Lasting Value 6.38
Reviewer Tilt 8.38
Average: 71%
Inside AP.net

Jaguar Love - Hologram Jams

Reviewed by: Adam Pfleider (03/23/10)
Jaguar Love Hologram Jams
Record Label: Fat Possum
Release Date: March 2, 2010

Expectation is something that a lot of artists have to live up to because of their fans. It seems the best artists could give two shits about anyone's expectations except their own. Sometimes what we want isn't what we get, and we struggle with swallowing the food in front of us. Enter Jaguar Love's second album Hologram Jams. Less of an electronic beat with a punk undertone like their debut Take Me to the Sea, it's a full on beatbox of playful lyrics, guitar drives and vocalist Johnny Whitney's high party pitches.

Comparing "Jaguar Pirates" to "Jaguar Warriors" is a case in point. Where the former was outlined in punk attitude and laced in an abrasive drive, the latter is an upbeat march of playful lyricism. From the infectious "Cherry Soda" to the delayed frequencies of "Everything is Awesome," the album boast what it is from the start of "I Started a Fire." It's nothing more and nothing less. "I built a campfire in a burning swimming pool in Beverly Hills," boast Whitney on the opener. It's that same audible fantasy from there until the end.

The most controversial track on the album may be its last. Only to be used as a bonus track for sale on one of the digital outlets, the band covers a cover of "Piece of My Heart," a song made famous by Janis Joplin and Big Brother and the Holding Company, but in fact was a cover song originally by Erma Franklin. It'll either be a jam piece for some, or blasphemy for others - it's for the listener to decide as Whitney belts it out in honor of Joplin herself.

The album was weird to listen to at first because of the flow of Take Me to the Sea. Once "Sad Parade" hit, and especially its lyrics, the conclusion was simply, "It is what it is." While many fans of the duo (Whitney and guitarist Cody Votolato) will be looking for more of the band's last feature (and for some of their former band's antics), it's not going to be found on Hologram Jams. There's only a fun time laced in absurdity. Sorry if you were expecting more - it doesn't exist. Just try to enjoy it.

Track Listing1. I Started a Fire
2. Polaroids and Red Wine
3. Cherry Soda*
4. Don't Die Alone
5. Up All Night
6. Jaguar Warriors*
7. Everything is Awesome*
8. Evaline
9. Sad Parade
10. A Prostitute, An Angel
11. Freak Out*
12. Piece of My Heart

*key tracks

Recommended If You Like Ghostland Observatory's Paparazzi Lighting; !!!'s Louden Up Now; Peaches' Impeach My Bush

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 19
06:32 AM on 03/23/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
I shall have to get this.
07:30 AM on 03/23/10
theintention
It's like Meow-Schwitz in here.
User Info.
i love this cd. its absurd and fun.

"rode a mother fuckin mastadon to my high school prom..."
08:11 AM on 03/23/10
TheGuillotine
User Info.
Was a huge fan of the bands first, and like this effort. Its a decent album to throw on with a few drinks.
08:19 AM on 03/23/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Mehhhh.
08:38 AM on 03/23/10
HometownHero
User Info.
Truth. I loved The Blood Brothers but I think Jaguar Love is pretty bad. It's weird to say now but his vocals grate on my ears.
09:07 AM on 03/23/10
wtfitsRICK
Hesitant User
User Info.
Can't handle any of this guy's work. My friend bought Hologram Jams while we were in California and listened to it relentlessly. The vocals are painful to me.
09:16 AM on 03/23/10
Thriftstoresuit
proper crooks
User Info.
Johnny kinda sounds like Janis Joplin already, so this cover isn't much of a stretch. haha
10:11 AM on 03/23/10
jrtbighurt
[SOMEONEcallANambulance]
User Info.
This cd is so fucking catchy. I don't even like them that much, but still catch myself singing the lyrics in my head.
10:50 AM on 03/23/10
gladnads
iGnoble Apathian
User Info.
Blood brothers > past lives > jaguar love
11:08 AM on 03/23/10
Keagan Ilvonen
@KeaganIlvonen
User Info.
This album didn't do much for me. The first one was pretty good but Past Lives ended up making the best post-blood brothers record so far.
11:17 AM on 03/23/10
Clark
Dirk Nowitzki's Beard
User Info.
This album is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I wasn't expecting such a positive review.

Although, I'd like to know how the hell you think the lyrics are worthy of a 7.5. Enjoyable, fun, and catchy album, yes, but the lyrics are terrible.
11:44 AM on 03/23/10
Adam Pfleider
wait. what were we talking about?
User Info.
This album is a guilty pleasure of mine, but I wasn't expecting such a positive review.

Although, I'd like to know how the hell you think the lyrics are worthy of a 7.5. Enjoyable, fun, and catchy album, yes, but the lyrics are terrible.
I don't think the lyrics are terrible out of context. If this was a band taking themselves seriously, yes, but go read Blood Brother's lyrics, Whitney has always been toying around with weird fantasy stories from the beginning. I think the music just makes people think they're less than they really are. Like I said, a lot of the album is what it is. my opinion too. so, sorry, I guess.
11:55 AM on 03/23/10
JustAGirl01
I think. I AM.
User Info.
I thought the album was just as enjoyable as the new Past Lives. Can't be a new Blood Brothers record though that's for sure.

Hologram Jams >>>>>Take Me To The Sea
12:59 PM on 03/23/10
RiCCioLi
Midtown Saves.
User Info.
If you are a fan of the Blood Brothers, I dont see how you couldnt be a fan of this album. It basically sounds just like them both lyrically and musically IMO. So far this is in my top 3 albums of 2010
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums