AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Isles & Glaciers - The Hearts of Lonely People EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9.25
Musicianship 7.25
Lyrics 7.25
Production 8
Creativity 7.75
Lasting Value 7.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.75
Final Verdict: 80%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.12
Musicianship 8.27
Lyrics 8.1
Production 8.44
Creativity 8.43
Lasting Value 8.37
Reviewer Tilt 8.2
Average: 84%
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.

Isles & Glaciers - The Hearts of Lonely People EP

Reviewed by: Drew Beringer (03/23/10)
Isles & GlaciersThe Hearts of Lonely People EP
Release Date: March 9, 2010
Record Label: Equal Vision

Not many groups have gotten the kind of buzz and attention that Isles & Glaciers have received over the course of the past year. But then again, not many groups feature two of the best vocalists in the scene. The captain of this ship is former Chiodos vocalist Craig Owens, who enlisted the talents of Jonny Craig (Emarosa), Vic and Mike Fuentes (Pierce The Veil), Brian Southall (The Receiving End of Sirens), Nick Martin (Underminded/Cinematic Sunrise), and Matt Goddard (Chiodos). Together they make the super-scene-group, Isles & Glaciers, and after months of anticipation, they have released their debut Equal Vision EP, The Hearts of Lonely People.

Produced by Casey Bates, The Hearts of Lonely People is built around the three vocalists (Owens, Craig, and Fuentes) unique talents, thus regulating everything else to background noise. Not that this is bad thing. The vocals are incredible throughout; even the generally grating voice of Fuentes doesn’t hurt the overall sound. The combination of Owens’ tenor and the way Craig complements it results in beautiful harmonies and transitions.

The first two tracks, “Kings and Chandeliers” and “Hills Like White Elephants,” work as single piece of work. With an intro that mimes something from Danny Elfman’s playbook, the second track takes off immediately with Owens’ voice dominating the scene. Again, the vocal teamwork between Owens and Craig is an auditory treat. “Clush” is the poppiest song on the EP, but it still maintains an aggressive edge. Originally conceived as a Pierce The Veil song, it was transitioned into a track for Isles & Glaciers, so it should be no surprise that this track is heavy on the Vic.

“Empty Sighs and Wine” features great structure, as it’s flooded by Goddard’s lively bass line, Southall’s and Nick Martin’s mastery guitar riffs, and Mike Fuentes drum work, creating a vibrant rush of melody. Craig really shines here as well. In fact, this might be the strongest Craig’s voice has ever been. The somber seven-minute closer, “Cemetery Weather,” is very electronic-based and works more as a showcase of the band’s vocal talents. The two aforementioned tracks here give a glimpse of how good this project could be if the band members were able to dedicate more time to it.

The fact is Craig Owens is one of the most creative and ambitious musicians in the scene. Sure, his removal from Chiodos probably still disappoints fans, but let’s face it, that band was holding back Owens' creativity. Isles & Glaciers, along with Jonny Craig, the Fuentes brothers and crew, is the grandiose sound Owens has been striving for. The Hearts of Lonely People EP makes me wish that Owens and Craig would just drop what they are doing and create a full-time band together. Their luscious harmonies are what make this EP what it is; their voices distract you from the above average-to-average song structures and encompass your ears. The Hearts of Lonely People EP truly is one of a kind, thanks in large part to the vocals. Really, there is no other band out in the scene right now that is like Isles & Glaciers. It’s shame that this might be the only material we ever get from this group.

Additional InformationTrack Listing:
1. Kings and Chandeliers
2. Hills Like White Elephants
3. Clush
4. Empty Sighs and Wine
5. Oceans for Backyards
6. Viola Lion
7. Cemetery Weather
Produced by: Casey Bates

Isles & Glaciers is:
Jonny Craig – vocals
Mike Fuentes – drums
Vic Fuentes – vocals/guitar
Matt Goddard – bass
Nick Martin – guitars
Craig Owens – vocals
Brian Southall – guitars

Official Website; Official Myspace; Official AP.net Profile

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 144.
02:48 AM on 03/23/10
aradiantsunrise
i'm not as dumb as i am
User Info.
Pretty good EP. I feel like it could have been a lot better though.
02:50 AM on 03/23/10
Argentine
When I die, rap dies; Destiny Bond.
User Info.
I'm just here before the Anti Craig federation shows up.
04:32 AM on 03/23/10
*Ro'
www.playitloudfuckers.com
User Info.
Pretty good EP. I feel like it could have been a lot better though.
Clearly.
04:52 AM on 03/23/10
cereal4life
User Info.
Can you think of any soundalikes, Drew?
05:28 AM on 03/23/10
xapplexpiex
&.&
User Info.
Finally! This was supposed to come out last March. I'm deff picking this up. I know this will get a ton of hate on this site, but whatever. I like it
06:05 AM on 03/23/10
ChelseaRiane
<3
User Info.
I wish they would make more music and show their real potential
06:30 AM on 03/23/10
JuneJuly
Allez l'OL
User Info.
Can you think of any soundalikes, Drew?

Chiodos, Pierce the Veil, and Emarosa?

jk

Also, anyone know how much this is on iTunes? I have the demos and I liked them, I'm going to have to check this out.
06:34 AM on 03/23/10
Viva Sonata
javadeer.tumblr.com
User Info.
The new tracks disappointed me - the full ones, not the instrumentals. Those were so sick. But I still enjoy most of this record.
06:45 AM on 03/23/10
Juneau_87
cream
User Info.
It was a disappointment in the sense that it was an over a year wait for two new songs. The material itself is great but.
06:51 AM on 03/23/10
CH!MP
planning a prison break
User Info.
the new tracks were a bit of a let down, but overall its a decent EP. As mentioned, song structure, and instrumentals in general, could have been better.
07:02 AM on 03/23/10
themodernelite
User Info.
no mention of "viola lion?" jonny kills that track.
07:15 AM on 03/23/10
Ricketts
@allenricketts
User Info.
I've been listening to this on a loop for a week. I completely agree with this sentence, "Craig really shines here as well. In fact, this might be the strongest Craig’s voice has ever been." I thought the same thing on my first listen :) Good stuff. Great review.
07:16 AM on 03/23/10
oshyjay
User Info.
Need to pick this up, I've been wanting it ever since I saw their live show last year.
07:17 AM on 03/23/10
Kgod
I disagree!
User Info.
Can't stop listening to this ep. Love the contrast in vocals.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests
RSS