AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview: Direct Hit! - 3.23.10

Direct Hit! - 3.23.10

Interviewed by
Direct Hit! - 3.23.10The following is a mini interview of generic questions that we posed to all bands that wanted to answer:

DIRECT HIT!

http://directhit.bandcamp.com
http://www.myspace.com/getpumpeditsdirecthit
http://www.facebook.com/pages/DIRECT-HIT/247671848184
http://www.last.fom/artist/direct+hit

1. How did you get your band name?
Our first drummer, Brian, came up with it. Don't really know how though.

2. How did this band get started?
I (Nick W.) had written a few songs apart from my last band that were too fast and too loud for the material we were playing. So when things started winding down with that group, I started picking up those tunes I had written on my own for fun with a couple of my friends. Things kinda went off from there.

3. What bands are you influenced by?
Andrew WK, The Ramones, The Thermals, and Bruce Springsteen were the four groups I liked the most when I started writing pop punk songs for Direct Hit, so I guess those are probably my biggest influences. There's a lot more to it than that though, mainly because I listen to a lot of Top 40 in my car. People tell us we end up sounding a lot like Latterman, but I haven't really listened to that band much, so I can't tell you if I agree with them or not.

4. If you could tour with any bands, past or present, who would it be and why?
GG Allin, just to be able to see just how crazy that dude really was, and be able to tell people about it if I ever made it home alive.

5. If you were a furry, what animal would you be? Why that animal?
Polar bear. My girlfriend, Kate, used to work at the zoo in Milwaukee, and said that if an animal ever got out of its cage, you were just supposed to hang out at your stand and keep serving ice cream. Unless the polar bear got out. If that happened, they had a plan in place to get people inside, to safety, while they brought in the national guard to nuke the bitch or something. Also, a co-worker of my high school chemistry teacher in Alaska got his head swatted off by a polar bear while he was taking out the garbage. You don't fuck with polar bears.

6. Why should people listen to your band?
Because we don't give a shit. There's nothing to Direct Hit that doesn't meet the eye. We aren't trying to turn you into an evangelist, or tell you who should get your vote for president. We don't tell anyone to do drugs, or not do drugs. We don't tell anyone to be positive or negative. Our big message is that we don't have a message. We exist purely for purposes of excitement and entertainment, and to tell you the truth, I think that's the kind of shit people miss from music these days. Everyone's trying to be positive, or straightedge, or God-Free, or God-Fearing, or vegan, or DIY, "in it for the kids" or something.... I dunno, I just don't really give a shit. I play music for fun, and I listen to music for fun. When I go to a show or put on a pair of headphones I don't want to have to think about life. Music for me has always been about forgetting reality and losing yourself in something else that won't fuck with your head for a couple minutes. I don't think we're a good enough band to bring people to that level yet, but we try hard, and I think it shows.

7. If you were chosen to be in Guitar Hero/Rock Band, what song would you want in the game? How hard do you think it would be to five-star on expert?
A blind guy with no arms could play our tunes in Guitar Hero. I'd tell people to quit being lazy and pick a harder fucking song.

8. If you won a Grammy, who would you thank?
LeRoy Butler. He invented the Lambeau Leap.

9. If you could change something about the music industry, what would it be?
I'd get people to quit caring so much. People ask each other what they think about the music industry all the time, but you never see anybody discussing the perils of the chocolate truffle industry. Or the lip balm industry. The music industry is exactly that - an industry. It's devoted to making money and paying mortgages. It has nothing to do with music, just selling a product. Sometimes, that product is pretty terrible, and sometimes it's awesome, just like Coke II versus Coke Classic. But for some reason, there's a lot more debate about the quality of music than the quality of soft drinks. If you don't like what the music industry is producing, then go make your own music outside the music industry.

10. Memorable tour experience?
In New York City, one of BB King's studio guitarists came onstage and jammed out "Red House" with us. He took this beat-ass stratocaster out of it's case right before climbing in front of the mic, and proceeded to make me look like a total idiot dunce.

11. What is your favorite song to play?
"Enter Sandman" by Metallica.

12. What is your vacation spot of choice?
Colorado. Mountains are awesome.

13. What music reminds you of your childhood?
My Dad used to play Tom Petty and ZZ Topp for me all the time. And I got into Michael Jackson when I was 8.

14. If you could have any super power, what would it be? Why?
Flight. Cause flight's the coolest.

15. Do you feel that your band has "made it"?
Is that a sly way of asking if we're gay?

16. What is something that most fans don't know about you?
I have a tiny man inside my chest cavity operating the rest of my body.

17. What's your favorite holiday?
Christmas. You get fucking presents.

18. What do you like to do in your spare time?
Watch fucked up movies. Drink beer. Pretty much on repeat.

19. What kind of hidden talents do you have?
Is this Elimidate?

Displaying posts 1 - 3 of 3
11:59 PM on 03/24/10
miltownrob
cottonheadedninnymuggins
User Info.
nick, what chemistry teacher?
02:31 PM on 05/31/10
Ty Dynamite
Don't Be A Hero
User Info.
Good interview. I'm stoked to play with these guys in August.

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos