AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Lakes - Photographs [EP] Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 9
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.25
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9.75
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.29
Musicianship 8.31
Lyrics 8.34
Production 7.9
Creativity 7.96
Lasting Value 8.25
Reviewer Tilt 8.4
Average: 82%
Inside AP.net

Lakes - Photographs [EP]

Reviewed by: Tony Pascarella (08/10/06)
Lakes - Photographs [EP]
Release Date: September 5, 2006
Record Label: The Militia Group

Photographs
is a warm and inviting debut from Seth Roberts (ex-Watashi Wa) and Lakes. Roberts has written a straightforward collection of songs that are as much a clean-cut introduction to the band as they are the foundation of what should be a bountiful career with Lakes, who recently signed with The Militia Group. Nothing from TMG yet this year had blown me away, but Photographs is a fantastically arranged, intimate album with five beautiful songs.

“Indian Lover,” driven by mid-tempo acoustic guitar strumming, is entertaining, memorable, and inspiring. The combination of Seth Roberts’ clean-cut vocals, acoustic guitar, thick piano accompaniment, and Jonathan Russo’s crash-heavy drumming produces a love song sure to find its way into your heart. “Love or Gain” is a throbbing, pulsating story of tolerance and affection whose frothy rock sound walks a tightrope somewhere between Copeland and Pedro the Lion. Reflection and hope are the dual saber that Seth Roberts wields with “Photographs,” a delightful midway point for this EP. The title track does not experiment much musically, instead focusing on its heartfelt lyrics and silky vocals. Before anyone asks “where’s the beef?” the band comes back with “Latersss.” Nothing particularly new, but the song is still just as satisfying as the rest. After the stripped-down track preceding it, I wish they had played with the effects a bit more to give the song more of an ambience to it, but it is still solid and laden with striking imagery. "White Flag" is my personal favorite song on the EP because of its far-reaching sentimental value. Lyrically, it is effortless to sympathize with Roberts’ frustration and eventual realization that we need to accept things for what they are. All of us have been in his position at some point in our lives. “White Flag” is a tantalizingly perfect closer to a fantastic EP.

With the year more than half-over, Photographs will go down as possibly my favorite EP of the year, and among my favorite releases in any format for 2006. This one is recommended for the mellow, hopeless romantics out there who enjoy well-orchestrated tunes guaranteed to elicit a smile. Copeland is the obvious musical comparison, and it fits, almost too well. Seth Roberts and Lakes have created a fantastic disc. The band rose from the ashes of Watashi Wa to realize a debut greater than anything we music fans could have fathomed.

Buy Lakes' Photographs EP on iTunes

Track List01. Indian Lover
02. Love or Gain
03. Photographs
04. Latersss
05. White Flag
Listen to LakesDownload the full EP | Myspace | Purevolume

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 27.
03:29 PM on 08/10/06
eye<3n00dz
eye<3n00dz
User Info.
creativity?
03:29 PM on 08/10/06
allisterkid
here since blink fansite
User Info.
Which one means instruments?
03:30 PM on 08/10/06
GoWaitInTheCar
The World Won't Listen.
User Info.
I love how this new reviews are set up.
03:31 PM on 08/10/06
Garett Press
User Info.
I love how this new reviews are set up.
Thanks dude, hope it works out well... we were hesititant about "tilt" but so far so good
03:34 PM on 08/10/06
HazeLitRise
i spit hot fire
User Info.
what does tilt even mean?
03:37 PM on 08/10/06
Tony Pascarella
User
User Info.
what does tilt even mean?
The best way to describe it is "how much a reviewer enjoyed the album." Sometimes you have albums that are not too creative or produced well, but you absolutely love them anyway.
03:38 PM on 08/10/06
funkel
how to make love stay
User Info.
Musicianship
03:46 PM on 08/10/06
Jason Tate
User Info.
A run down of the "rating scale" will be added soon ... hope you can kinda figure it out for now.
03:49 PM on 08/10/06
spikestoyou
User Info.
The ep and band did not and do not make me think of Copeland.
03:51 PM on 08/10/06
dekdog11
needs you so much closer
User Info.
good review man, ill have to check this out.
and i like how the reviews are set up. creativity and the tilt i think are really good, especailly if know the tastes of the reviewers so we will know if we like it or not.
04:03 PM on 08/10/06
Garett Press
User Info.
yeah, why did we change instrumentals to musicianship?
04:31 PM on 08/10/06
kittypants
lordsaveusfromourscene.co m
User Info.
well, with the free EP, i'm not gonna have to buy it now. i was toadally gonna buy it before you made it free too!
04:55 PM on 08/10/06
AShannon04
http://drewshannon.net
User Info.
Photographs is by far my favorite song on this EP.
05:10 PM on 08/10/06
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
I don't understand why you compare them to Copeland, but it's a great EP, and the fact that it's free makes it even better. Pretty good review.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News
CONNECT
Forums
Contests