AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Jonezetta - Four Songs EP Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 9
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 7.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.13
Musicianship 8.69
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.19
Creativity 8.63
Lasting Value 8.75
Reviewer Tilt 9.5
Average: 88%
Inside AP.net

Jonezetta - Four Songs EP

Reviewed by: richtiemann (08/10/06)
Jonezetta - Four Songs EP
Record Label: Tooth & Nail Records

Break out your mirror ball and put on your dancing’ shoes, here comes Jonezetta. Recent signees to the burgeoning Tooth and Nail Records roster, the young quartet from Jackson, MS has teamed up with producer Steve Wilson (The Class of 98) to deliver a debut EP whose effects are staggering. While doing a little leaning on the dance-rock craze (think: the Killers, Franz Ferdinand, etc.), Jonezetta adds devastatingly catchy hooks and loads of pop sensibility to the mix in creating a unique and very accessible sound.

The EP opens with “Backstabber”, a rollicking romp where the first thing the listener hears is singer/rhythm guitarist Robert Chisholm’s gravelly tenor over a rhythmic distorted guitar as he immediately commands attention with his earnest delivery. Then the bass and drums kick in – and don’t let up. The rhythm section (Mick Parsons – drums, Ty Garvey – bass guitar and bgv’s) is rock solid, providing a relentless back beat and meandering bass lines on every single song; the perfect playground for Chisholm’s vocal and haunting counterpoint guitar melody lines courtesy of lead guitarist, Kyle Howe. A gradual deconstruction of this tune gives way to “Communicate”, where the band pulls the listener in for good. A perfect foil to the breakneck pace of “Backstabber”, “Communicate” opens with Chisholm singing over another one of Howe’s beautifully crafted guitar melodies and a picked acoustic guitar part that slowly builds into the first chorus where the bass and drums join the action. We hang on Chisholm’s every word as we get a glimpse of some spot-on vocal harmonies in the second verse. The song goes half time in the end as the band rocks out and adds a passionately screamed vocal to boot. Up next is “The Love That Carries Me”, a dance-rock number that harkens back to the (best things about) 80’s pop, including some luscious “doot-do-doot-doo’s”. The EP closes with “Burn It Down!”, a hard-rocking ditty that is discotheque ready and is best listened to while sporting a polyester suit and platform shoes (this is a good thing, trust me). This whole EP drips with sincerity and emotion and there is no doubt that Jonezetta pours every ounce of themselves into their songwriting and performance. Do yourself a favor and see them live if you have any doubts about that.

The one drawback of this EP in this writer’s opinion is that there is simply not enough of it. It has the effect of leaving the listener with an insatiable appetite for more from this incredible band (a desirable effect from Jonezetta’s perspective). With the release of their full length album, Popularity, on October 3rd, the hunger will be satisfied. Get ready (like a hot machete) – this phrase will make sense to you soon enough.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 17
09:24 AM on 08/11/06
tacosforcharles
it all ends
User Info.
Nice review, I like this EP a lot and am defenitly buying the album when it drops.
10:48 AM on 08/11/06
richtiemann
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Nice review, I like this EP a lot and am defenitly buying the album when it drops.

Thanks for the comment! Have you had the chance to see them live?
12:49 PM on 08/11/06
MasonR5
Water and Mason
User Info.
i've seen these guys plenty of times, mostly back before anyone outside of MS knew who they were...they make awesome music which, surprisingly, sounds even better live...i hope tooth and nail treats them good because i think big things are in store for them...really nice people too
01:25 PM on 08/11/06
richtiemann
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
i've seen these guys plenty of times, mostly back before anyone outside of MS knew who they were...they make awesome music which, surprisingly, sounds even better live...i hope tooth and nail treats them good because i think big things are in store for them...really nice people too

That's awesome. I hope T&N does them right, too. Good to find some fellow Jonezetta fans!
03:11 PM on 08/11/06
PEGS
PastedWings
User Info.
Yeah, you totally have to see these guys live to appreciate them! So good live...Rado from Zambooie was all over them at Cornerstone this year! That dude is freaking hillarious!
10:23 AM on 08/12/06
Rob Rice
A Gentlemen's Gentlemen
User Info.
When I saw them live I thought it was too much Dance, but after downloading the EP I liked it a lot.

The bass player moves so gracefully...
02:14 PM on 08/12/06
Blake Solomon
Leave a one-way note.
User Info.
i thought this was a pretty good ep, the third song is by far the best, more of that and they are gold.
06:40 PM on 08/12/06
queendependency
User Info.
i saw them live once on the T&N tour and it was the only opening band that didn't put me to sleep
i couldn't help but "dance" along to the music (if you could call what i was doing dancing) :p
07:52 AM on 08/14/06
irishpunk14
User Info.
OK cd.
09:46 AM on 08/14/06
RawkforChrist
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I enjoy them alot
I've seen them twice now....
really good guys
09:48 PM on 08/14/06
Daniel Schultz
the guilded cunt.
User Info.
I saw these guys open for Maylene and the Sons of Disaster, and was much impressed.
I'll be looking forward to the full length.
12:54 PM on 08/16/06
Troy will Fall
Torches, Together
User Info.
communicate is such a good song, nice review.
09:43 PM on 08/27/06
MasonR5
Water and Mason
User Info.
october 3rd can not come soon enough
02:00 PM on 08/28/06
cheezhed4031
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I just heard Hot Machete and it is Amazing. Its infectious beat has got me dancing crazily. I can not wait for the cd to come out
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests