Username
Password

04:56 PM on 04/02/12 
User Info.
PinheadRecords
No Avatar Selected
Tarpon Springs, FL
Male - 28 Years Old
Thanks for all of the helpful tips! Right now we primarily use Bandcamp, Facebook & Reddit to promote our releases and every once in a while, we post promo videos on youtube.

We'll try some of the other sites you suggested!
06:18 PM on 04/02/12 
User Info.
I am Mick
http://www.worncolors.bandcamp.c om
Pittsburgh
Male - 24 Years Old
That's nice. Magically wave your wand and make people go to Bandcamp. I'm sure it'll work fine

Dude, I'm on B'camp right now as we speak trying to update my album. Do you know how freakin' sloooooooooooowww that thing is? Try about an hour per song! And I know it's not my connection because I uploaded .wav's to Cd Baby and it didn't take near this freaking long!

It takes me like 20 seconds to upload songs to bandcamp...not sure why it's taking so long for you. But I guarantee you more people check facebook/bandcamp/soundcloud then myspace these days. Most blogs/sites/labels I've seen lately specifically ask you NOT to submit myspace links, and to use soundcloud/bandcamp.
12:27 AM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
Kevin Wayne
Resident Curmudgeon
Portland, OR USA
Male
It takes me like 20 seconds to upload songs to bandcamp...not sure why it's taking so long for you. But I guarantee you more people check facebook/bandcamp/soundcloud then myspace these days. Most blogs/sites/labels I've seen lately specifically ask you NOT to submit myspace links, and to use soundcloud/bandcamp.

I just NOW finished the last track out of 12 I was updating! Albeit I took a nap for part of it, but that was because it kept me up all night long! Almost 24 hour ordeal.

MySpace isn't much better for .wavs, but I can choose .wma or another format if I want, so that there's less hassle.

All all I have to say is those labels are either not worth much or they aren't caught up yet. That link I posted where MySpace beat out Spotify for the Mumford & Sons concert settles the issue as far as I'm concerned.

Who the F needs labels in the age of the internet, anyway? Labels, PRO's, publishers - they ALL just want a cut. PRO's like ASCAP & BMI have been going around getting open mics shut down, which hurts musicians in the long run. The less middlemen, the more freedom for me.

Fuck labels, man. With a CD Baby account I have a 5-album record deal, that I paid for MYSELF. Nobody's breaking that contract, and I can take as long as I damn well want.

PS: Adele was discovered on her MySpace, so you might want to enlighten those labels, because it's still a force no matter what they "think."
12:52 AM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
Kevin Wayne
Resident Curmudgeon
Portland, OR USA
Male
MySpace is in the top 10 social sites, still:

http://www.hitwise.com/us/datacenter...ard-10133.html

Where are purevolume, bandcamp & soundcloud ANYWHERE on that page?

MySpace is number
#158 worldwide:

http://www.alexa.com/topsites/global;6

But Bandcamp must be doing better, right? Well, put their name into the Alexa search engine and see what comes up:

2,337!!!

MySpace is Number 50 in the US according to CommScore:
http://www.webpronews.com/top-50-sit...mscore-2012-02

Again, where do you see Bandcamp on that list?

See, it isn't about what you or I "like" or what we think is "cool," but what objective marketing research is telling us. The numbers don't lie.
01:57 PM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
linoleum665
***lol
Topsail Island, NC
Male - 25 Years Old
shanghai is the most populous city in the world, doesn't mean it's not crappy.
02:38 PM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
Kevin Wayne
Resident Curmudgeon
Portland, OR USA
Male
shanghai is the most populous city in the world, doesn't mean it's not crappy.

Point taken. I don 't think MySpace is at the lowest point in it's functionality, given it's whole history. People have forgotten the days when you would try to go somewhere and run into a big white wall with an error messages saying something like "our tech team has been notified" or some such horseshit. Or how about if you happen to be up after 3am and the site is down and you have the option of playing Pac-Man? Or you try to use your bulletins or email, and those are down for maintenance?

Hell, you don't even have to go to someone's profile and crawl over all their bad html anymore in order to friend request someone. You can mouse over their avatar and a balloon pops up that gives you the option to friend them! And profile 3.0 gets rid of the bad html altogether!

It's been my experience that it was pretty lousy up until it was sold last year, and even for awhile afterwards, but now other than a few minor annoyances, I can't see where the functionality is all that bad, really.

I just got rid of my Bandcamp, earlier. Seriously, I have no use for them. I get more plays in a single week on SoundClick, then I have the whole time I had a profile on B'Camp, I have no desire to sit through another ordeal like I just went through. 20 f*cking hours for a 12-track album!

And if it's about getting .wav's uploaded, I'll happily PAY CD Baby to put me on Amazon & iTunes. You know, entities that people actually talk about out in the real world? Not just musicians listening to other musicians, which apparently is all Bandcamp is.

05:08 PM on 04/03/12 
User Info.
The Matchup
The Rat
Sainte-Therese ,...
Male
i was actualy looking for places like these , thx a lot guys , very useful thread! I'll do my best to contribute once im done visiting the links posted by all of you!
12:11 PM on 04/07/12 
User Info.
Breakthrough
No Avatar Selected
Falls Church VA
Male - 19 Years Old
These are great sources of self-promo! Really appreciate 'em! Thanks for posting them!
06:58 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
TimmyVilgiate
No Avatar Selected
Woodland Park, CO
Male
imradio.com gets our band, in total, probably somewhere around 1000 plays a month. Great platform. Highly recommended.
07:28 PM on 04/22/12 
User Info.
I am Mick
Pittsburgh
Male - 24 Years Old
Can everyone please help me out! My Band is in a Facebook Like contest, if we get the most likes we get to open for an National Act next Month!
heres the link
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

*all you have to do is like the picture, that is all, we work really really hard for this

I would have helped if you followed the rules of this thread
11:07 AM on 04/26/12 
User Info.
NorthernPromos
good info thx
08:45 PM on 04/26/12 
User Info.
Carolie97
No Avatar Selected
Female - 33 Years Old
It definitely spiked visits to our sites and increased our album download rate for a couple days.
05:41 PM on 04/28/12 
User Info.
Kevin Wayne
Resident Curmudgeon
Portland, OR USA
Male
Most blogs/sites/labels I've seen lately specifically ask you NOT to submit myspace links, and to use soundcloud/bandcamp.

http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2720172

Well, now you can see for yourself. A Record company CEO and Grammy-nominated producer talks about the value of MySpace as a service to musicians, and why he wishes it would either come back or another site would step up and provide the same level of game. I didn't notice him saying "but you can park your wares on Bandcamp/Soundcloud/Reverb Nation or whatever flavor of the month OMD and it'd be just as good." He even went so far as to imply that they haven't signed anyone in 2012 because of it.

But I guess ppl can send him demos or something, since he implies they are looking for someone to sign, so there's your tip.
07:43 PM on 04/28/12 
User Info.
I am Mick
Pittsburgh
Male - 24 Years Old
http://www.absolutepunk.net/showthread.php?t=2720172

Well, now you can see for yourself. A Record company CEO and Grammy-nominated producer talks about the value of MySpace as a service to musicians, and why he wishes it would either come back or another site would step up and provide the same level of game. I didn't notice him saying "but you can park your wares on Bandcamp/Soundcloud/Reverb Nation or whatever flavor of the month OMD and it'd be just as good." He even went so far as to imply that they haven't signed anyone in 2012 because of it.

But I guess ppl can send him demos or something, since he implies they are looking for someone to sign, so there's your tip.

That article is all about how Myspace is dead and he wishes another site would start up like Myspace's heyday. If anything, that backs up my claims that the current Myspace is a ghost town. Admittedly, Bandcamp and Soundcloud lack the social networking that is needed. All I said is that if you want people to LISTEN to your music, don't rely on Myspace as you need to have an account and be logged in to listen to more than one full song, and the layout/functionality is a mess.
03:59 AM on 04/29/12 
User Info.
Kevin Wayne
Resident Curmudgeon
Portland, OR USA
Male
That article is all about how Myspace is dead and he wishes another site would start up like Myspace's heyday. If anything, that backs up my claims that the current Myspace is a ghost town. Admittedly, Bandcamp and Soundcloud lack the social networking that is needed. All I said is that if you want people to LISTEN to your music, don't rely on Myspace as you need to have an account and be logged in to listen to more than one full song, and the layout/functionality is a mess.

The article does not say MySpace is dead.

Here - tell me what could possibly be wrong with my layout. It might not be your thing, but there's no "mess" that I can see and everything works just fine:

http://myspace.com/kevinwaynesongs

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version