Password

Album Review

Brighten - Be Human EP Album Cover

Brighten - Be Human EP

Reviewed by
BrightenBe Human EP
Record Label: Unsigned
Release Date: March 23, 2010
This review was written by an AP.net staff member.
With a few gruesome exceptions, goals should be celebrated and encouraged. (Can you think of some gruesome examples? Post them in the replies!) Not everyone wants to discover gold on Jupiter or bottle farts. And in music, it’s not always about reversing keyboard polarity in the hopes of creating unheard notes. Brighten’s goals are less experimental, but no less lofty. On Be Human, the trio create music I literally heard yesterday and last week; soft pop-rock that has amped-up emotion and silky vocals. Think Brightwood or Mae or whoever else. And with so much space for comparison, it can be easy to pass over these guys for the band they remind us of. And that’s where Brighten succeed: they only remind me of other bands in that I wish those other bands were this good.

Be Human is an album that lilts. “Where We Belong” ambles along with keyboard tinkering and shuffling drums, while “While The Fire Was Out” is a charming alt-country duet. There’s no particular rush to do anything except deliver softly resonant lines like, “I will listen to the shadowlands and brace what’s coming true.” Even when the electric guitars take over and speed things up, like on endlessly catchy “That Girl,” we are never pushed towards a point but rather urged on with sunny melodies that reek of optimism. Given the choice, who wouldn’t head that direction?

However, most of Be Human showcases Brighten’s breadbasket of lullaby-esque love songs. “I Lost Her” is stripped down so we can focus on the tale of woe. “Be Human” has a lively percussion section but could easily be performed from a park bench. Again and again these guys take next to nothing and make music that lasts; Brighten are the equivalent of a Green band. It’s really quite extraordinary to hear something so basic that is also so endearing. By not giving us much, they have given us everything we need.

Recommended If You Like: Brightwood, Mae, stuff like that

stashedwww.myspace.com/wearebrighten

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 29
09:23 AM on 04/03/10
p93
hopelessly yours, Alabama
User Info.
I've been excited for Brighten releases for years now and this one didn't disappoint.
I wish more than anything that they would tour instead of Justin doing ARTTM.
09:34 AM on 04/03/10
mercedesbens
User Info.
I loved this EP so much. Brighten doesn't do anything new, but they do what they do so well
09:34 AM on 04/03/10
You Vandal
What she order? Fish filet.
User Info.
Gruesome goals?
09:44 AM on 04/03/10
ched zeppelin
I Can Get Back Up Now.
User Info.
super ep one of my favs
10:02 AM on 04/03/10
lucygray
often imitated, never duplicated
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I love this EP so much, especially the title track. I caught Brighten a few times the last time they toured in this area but man I wish they'd come back around.
10:08 AM on 04/03/10
scmaley
And away we go
User Info.
I really like this EP.
10:11 AM on 04/03/10
Charles777
my anaconda don't
User Info.
So good. Nice review.
11:20 AM on 04/03/10
davehennessy
www.facebook.com/davehennessymusic
User Info.
Great review. Looking forward to owning this
11:38 AM on 04/03/10
brenByah
Welcome to the Blue Hell
User Info.
This band is terribly underrated, and unfortunately they often get lumped in with inferior pop punk acts.
12:37 PM on 04/03/10
katieissweet
@katelyndonahue
User Info.
I don't love this EP as much as I wanted to. Brighten is one of my favorite bands and Early Love and King Vs. Queen still get a lot of spins from me. With Be Human absolutely love about half of it and the other songs are just okay. Maybe a few more listens to those songs will change my mind.
01:25 PM on 04/03/10
thestrokeslp
User Info.
Album cover reminds me of this:

http://newyork.timeout.com/newyork/r....liars.rev.jpg <--- This album is sick.
01:57 PM on 04/03/10
MCSmate
I'm wide awake, it's morning
User Info.
Good review.
02:20 PM on 04/03/10
jason_t8
hey yall xoxoxo kisses
User Info.
justin bitchtits needs to stick to this and get away from the ginger satan that is nick santino
02:32 PM on 04/03/10
birtcho
is...
User Info.
Loved everything they've done but appreciated the stripped down songs on this. Best thing about it though is the artwork

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos