AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
PMtoday - In Medias Res Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.75
Musicianship 9.25
Lyrics 8.5
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.75
Lasting Value 7.75
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 86%
Member Ratings
Vocals 9.39
Musicianship 9.6
Lyrics 9.24
Production 9.47
Creativity 9.4
Lasting Value 9.14
Reviewer Tilt 9.31
Average: 94%
Inside AP.net

PMtoday - In Medias Res

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (04/05/10)
PMtoday - In Medias Res
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: April 6, 2010

Sometimes the best things come out of the most unlikely of situations. For example, sometimes you'll wake up super early to go to class, then you realize that it's Saturday....but in going outside you were able to take advantage of the guy handing out free Jimmy John's subs on campus. Sometimes you'll walk a mile from your dorm to the freshman parking garage because you want to go to the gym, only to find out the gym closed early that night....but in the process you see a sign that reveals that your local record store is having a 30% off sale the next day. Sometimes, even, you'll get a good album that has been put out by Rise Records. But really, don't bet on that last one.

With In Medias Res, PMtoday, made up of Connor, Ryan, and Cuinn Brogan along with Jerrod Morgan, have given us the best output by a Rise Records band since Dance Gavin Dance's Downtown Battle Mountain. In Medias Res is a concept album telling you the life story of its protagonist, with the recurring theme of "people are machines". PMtoday show a lot of depth for a band who are only putting out their second record, sounding like a clash of some of the best bands in our scene today. The musicianship on In Medias Res has two sides to it that are as clearly different as sushi and chocolate milk, but come together as wonderfully as Saturday afternoons and the Florida Gators scoring touchdowns. In Exhibit A, we hear a group that plays deeply thought-out instrumental portions that are nothing less than beautifully written. This style is shown off on "Thoughts in Transit" and "I Am Wrong". Exhibit B shows a band that can head bang with the best of them, most impressively in "People Are Machines", a four-minute track that's gone as fast as an Arizona tall can. This more rocking side reminds me of heavier portions of Brand New's Deja Entendu, while the vocals throughout In Medias Res show shades of Anthony Green's efforts in Circa Survive.

The group are at their best when they're switching up their sound, going from blistering guitar work to gently woven melodies. The songs on this album are as likely to get you out of your chair dancing as they are to have you head banging in front of your laptop. One song, "Progress is A Lemon", does both phenomenally, as the musical breakdown is the catchiest part of In Medias Res, showing serious talent on the part of whichever Brogan brother takes the lead guitar. The outro on that track features an arena-sized riff that carries into "Don't Exist", which surfaces as the best example of PMtoday transitioning between their light and heavy sound. The aforementioned "People Are Machines" and "Sad World" prove to be the best songs on the album, with very sustained and mature vocals for such a young band. "I Am Wrong" is the most gut-wrenching song here, as we hear about the protagonist's take on his parents' divorce and how it makes him view other women.

In Medias Res has completely swept me off my feet. In a week where I obtained new music from Envy on the Coast, Titus Andronicus, and Cary Brothers, and as I re-discovered albums by Refused, Taking Back Sunday, and Something Corporate with their relevant news stories, PMtoday have held their own on my playlist. In Medias Res has already become one of my favorite records of the year, as it currently sits in my top five of 2010, and I strongly encourage fans of any genre to check it out. In a tornado that sweeps up parts of the best bands out there, PMtoday are sure to showcase something for everyone.

Recommended If You LikeIndie Rock, Circa Survive, Brand New, getting good grades on your Stats exam (I had one of these songs stuck in my head the entire time)

Download These First"People Are Machines", "I Am Wrong", "Don't Exist"

Bare Essentials1. Thoughts in Transit
2. People Are Machines
3. Goodbye, Blue Monday
4. Progress Is A Lemon
5. Don't Exist
6. I Am Wrong
7. Sad World
8. Soma Holiday
9. Composing A Commercial Product
10. A Convenient Literary Device for Ending Short Stories and Books
Produced By: Kris Crummett (Dance Gavin Dance, Kaddisfly), Run Time: 38 minutes, 45 seconds
myspace.com/pmtodaymusic
Purchase

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 94
10:02 PM on 04/05/10
AzureBard
User Info.
Love this album, love this band. Your review was amusing and accurate as well, good work.
10:56 PM on 04/05/10
D' Evils
User Info.
awesome review, great band. ive loved all the work theyve put out though, i am wrong is an amazing song on multiple levels
01:13 AM on 04/06/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
Good review man, This band is so good. When did you become apart of the staff? lol.
07:48 AM on 04/06/10
nsenior57
User Info.
Great review. I see less of an indie influence than you do and more post-hardcore (i.e. Closure in Moscow), but that's probably because of my musical taste.
08:59 AM on 04/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Love this album, love this band. Your review was amusing and accurate as well, good work.
Thank you.

awesome review, great band. ive loved all the work theyve put out though, i am wrong is an amazing song on multiple levels
I haven't heard their first release but I'd like to.

Good review man, This band is so good. When did you become apart of the staff? lol.
I was hired in February but my account got changed today.

Great review. I see less of an indie influence than you do and more post-hardcore (i.e. Closure in Moscow), but that's probably because of my musical taste.
I do see some indie influences but I think Circa Survive is the biggest influence on these guys. On this album, at least.
09:44 AM on 04/06/10
salem1oliver
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
Well written review.

I would be interested to hear what else currently sits in your top 5 of 2010.
09:45 AM on 04/06/10
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
I definitely heard a treos influence too idk if anyone else heard that... I don't think they sound like circa at all though besides some of the higher pitched parts, they have a style of their own the way they do things and does anyone know if this was recorded while playing? because it doesn't sound like it was recorded with each member doing their own part...
09:47 AM on 04/06/10
WhatJulianSaid
News on Once the Clouds are Gone
User Info.
closure in moscow isn't post-hardcore dude...
09:48 AM on 04/06/10
Un'Aria Ancora
The best happiness money can buy.
User Info.
They've been one of the cooler local bands for years.
09:54 AM on 04/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Well written review.

I would be interested to hear what else currently sits in your top 5 of 2010.
Hmm, I don't really have an order yet but these are the records I have at the top: The Wonder Years' The Upsides, Titus Andronicus' The Monitor, Motion City Soundtrack's My Dinosaur Life, Four Year Strong's Enemy of the World, Fair's Disappearing World. The Envy on the Coast, Jeff Martin and Steve Padin, She & Him, and Cary Brothers records are great too, a lot of good stuff so far this year. I should start making a list haha

I definitely heard a treos influence too idk if anyone else heard that... I don't think they sound like circa at all though besides some of the higher pitched parts, they have a style of their own the way they do things and does anyone know if this was recorded while playing? because it doesn't sound like it was recorded with each member doing their own part...

It does seem to me like it was recorded individually. And I can see a TREOS vibe I guess.
09:59 AM on 04/06/10
Meeze
PunkOut.org
User Info.
Nice review, Tom. I will check this out for sure.
10:05 AM on 04/06/10
COREhorizon
Get Free
User Info.
I respect the guys for this album, it just doesn't seem memorable to me in any way. And the Brand New RIYL doesn't make me feel any better about saying that.
10:18 AM on 04/06/10
Thomas Nassiff
User Info.
Nice review, Tom. I will check this out for sure.
Call me Thomas, haha
10:20 AM on 04/06/10
kemichels
I drove through ghosts to get here.
User Info.
Got this last night! VERY excited to listen later., especially after this review. I hear their earlier release(s) are great as well.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests