AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Sleeping with Sirens - With Ears to See and Eyes to... Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 9
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8
Production 7.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 9
Final Verdict: 84%
Member Ratings
Vocals 8.03
Musicianship 7.53
Lyrics 7.2
Production 7.37
Creativity 6.27
Lasting Value 7.25
Reviewer Tilt 7.48
Average: 73%
Inside AP.net

Sleeping with Sirens - With Ears to See and Eyes to...

Reviewed by: blissfulrain (04/07/10)
Sleeping With Sirens - With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear
Record Label: Rise Records
Release Date: March 23, 2010

Originality. That's a word that is usually lacking in the conversation of emerging bands from labels such as Rise Records. It isn't just lacking in the conversation, it's lacking in the music as well. From the generic "chug-chug" breakdowns every five seconds, to the annoying pig squealing, some may think there's no hope for the genre. That is where Sleeping With Sirens come into play. Sleeping With Sirens are a young, five-piece band who know how to write good music. Their debut album, "With Ears to See and Eyes to Hear" displays just that. This ten song album displays so much talent, yet so much potential to take the music world by storm.

On this record, Sleeping With Sirens tend to stray away from metal riffs and breakdowns, but don't cross the line of being labeled progressive. They add their own flair, which is sometimes very reminiscent of Circa Survive or Closure in Moscow, to a genre that is full of dull acts. However, I'm not here to tell you this album is perfect, as there is much room for improvement. There are a lot of very solid tracks on this album, but others make you feel like you'd have been better off without them. The final two tracks of the album (not including "Outro") seem very unnecessary, but the standout tracks still somewhat make up for it.

"If I'm James Dean, You're Audrey Hepburn" displays the songwriting talent they posses, with the catchiest chorus on the album. The next song, "The Bomb Dot Com V2.0", seems very reminiscent of the band Broadway, while still adding some flair to it. The album takes a break from the distorted guitar on the fourth track, "Let Love Bleed Red", and pours out one of the most heartfelt and beautiful acoustic songs you will hear from a Rise Records band. The vocal talent of Aaron Marsh of Copeland adds to the song even more. In the end, the full band comes in to end it. As soon as the song finishes, the album picks up right where it left off with the next track, "Captain Tyin' Knots vs. Mr. Walkway (No Way)", which starts off with a heavy intro, almost feeling out of place considering the track that came just before it.

At this point, the listener may begin to think "can this album get any better?" and the answer is, no. There are no standout tracks on the latter end of the album (save for the title track). Although they display much talent on half the album, the other half shows much room for improvement. Songs like "In Case of Emergency, Dial 411" and "The Left Side of Everywhere" seem to drag the album on and make you wish it would end.

Despite the fact that they fit the stereotype for a "Rise Records band", Sleeping With Sirens show much creativity and talent on this album, however they also show much room for improvement. If they cut this album in half and made it an EP, I don't believe it would have any less value for me, and would probably make me even more excited for a full-length from the band. But, no band is perfect, right?

myspace.com/sleepingwithsirens

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 39
11:21 PM on 04/08/10
flavoredrums
User Info.
Great album, too short.
02:12 AM on 04/09/10
D' Evils
User Info.
how are you going to say that these guys are not generic and breaking the genre? there simply just a skylit drive 2.0, kellin has alot of vocal potential but is no where near as amazing as this review makes it seem. the instrumentals are as generic as it comes and you cant say they dont use breakdowns. this is one of the most biased reviews i have ever read, horrible album and band
03:23 AM on 04/09/10
aradiantsunrise
i get what i want
User Info.
how are you going to say that these guys are not generic and breaking the genre? there simply just a skylit drive 2.0, kellin has alot of vocal potential but is no where near as amazing as this review makes it seem. the instrumentals are as generic as it comes and you cant say they dont use breakdowns. this is one of the most biased reviews i have ever read, horrible album and band
This. He makes a good point.
06:16 AM on 04/09/10
Handraa
.-.-.-.-.
User Info.
This.
I was going to review this, but didn't get around too it. Wayyyyy to high on creativity, imo
06:53 AM on 04/09/10
xtsukiyamax
Little Fockers.
User Info.
fantastic album, great review .
11:16 AM on 04/09/10
henry chinaski
User Info.
i got this album last week. i think it is solid, but musicianship and creativity should have a rating between 7 and 8 in my opinion. more than 9 is way too high
01:32 PM on 04/09/10
a nocturnal day
this ain't a game
User Info.
It's an okay album. I was looking for to this since December but was pretty disappointed. Would've been alot of better off as a EP. Quite a few of the new tracks sound the same except for "Love Let Let Bleed" obviously. Vocals are a 9 but musicianship and creativity are probably a 6.5.

Also the demo version of "The Bomb Dot Com" is better than any song on the album, especially Version 2.
02:25 PM on 04/09/10
tyramail
wake up i'm calling you
User Info.
i like this album and i love kellin's voice, but creativity is a bit high,
02:47 PM on 04/09/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
these guys arent really breaking new ground for me, they sound like a mix of a skylit drive and of machines, i still really enjoy this album nonetheless
03:30 PM on 04/09/10
brandon_260
Ah, yes.
User Info.
this album was fantastic, minus the 9-track factor. I feel like every Rise release is shorter and shorter and that is truly disappointing. Also, they should have rerecorded Big Gulps for the album, song is sick
10:34 PM on 04/09/10
superBMRuth
sheeeeeeeeeeeeeit
User Info.
this review is hypocritical of itself. i hear nothing "original" or "groundbreaking" enough to warrant such a high score.
11:20 AM on 04/10/10
Sheluligans
Focus on the horizon.
User Info.
It's an okay album. I was looking for to this since December but was pretty disappointed. Would've been alot of better off as a EP. Quite a few of the new tracks sound the same except for "Love Let Let Bleed" obviously. Vocals are a 9 but musicianship and creativity are probably a 6.5.

Also the demo version of "The Bomb Dot Com" is better than any song on the album, especially Version 2.

I used to think that the first version was better, but the second one is way better. The beginning and the breakdown are a lot better in it.

I don't really get how the last 2 songs besides Outro are bad. I like In Case of Emergency and The Left Side of Everywhere is catchy as fuck.
10:34 PM on 04/10/10
symbiote28
Be Human
User Info.
i've been listening to them alot. like really alot. but i must say i like the last two tracks unlike what you said in your review. the weakest to me would only be Don't Fall Asleep At The Helm.

nice review!
06:13 PM on 04/11/10
low_rising
Registered Member
User Info.
nice review
Options
Buy the Music

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives