AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Various Artists - Fat Wrecktrospective Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals N/A
Musicianship N/A
Lyrics N/A
Production 8.5
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 9
Reviewer Tilt 9.25
Final Verdict: 88%
Member Ratings
Production 3.88
Creativity 4.5
Lasting Value 0.25
Reviewer Tilt 5
Average: 34%

Various Artists - Fat Wrecktrospective

Reviewed by: Chris Fallon (04/10/10)
Various Artists - Fat Wrecktrospective
Release Date: December 8, 2009
Record Label: Fat Wreck Chords

You really can't beat 88 tracks for $15. Even if some of them are, say, a minute long. Or if you already have them on your iPod or iZune or Walkman (they did have those, right?). Still, for the sheer amount of tracks available on Fat Wreck's aptly-titled Wrecktrospective, it's worth your time and money just in order to dig through the tracklist and find something you may have plum forgot about over the years - or haven't even heard of before! Just be sure to tip Mike Burkett, your lovely host (better known as NOFX's Fat Mike), for compiling a Roland Emmerich-sized batch containing nearly 20 years worth of tunes. Three discs split into a "best of" compilation that showcase the label's "fattest" hits, leftover demos and the entire Fat Club 7" series. It's quite the feast that would make even the most loyal, obsessive Fat fan quiver with delight.

All the usual suspects are here: NOFX, Lagwagon, Strung Out, No Use For a Name, The Lawrence Arms. However, for the extra-special Fat lover in all of us, there are those bands/songs that make you audibly reminesce with a breathy "Oh yeeeeaaah!" Bands like Bracket, Tilt, Goober Patrol and how could we leave out, Wizo. It's a wonderful stroll down memory lane, revisiting classic Fat material as well as going through a fully-established roster of veterans and alumni that gave rise to one of the most fan-friendly and equally-dependable independent labels to ever exist. While you do have to wonder why some songs were favored over others, if casual fans look into this as an introductory element into specific bands' catalogs, you're in the wrong place. This is a compilation for the Fat completist. Regardless, if you think the first disc contains some throwbacks, the demo disc will have you howling with glee: The Dickies, Zero Down, Saint Catherines and Western Addiction are all here, as well as some cool early recordings of classic material from "the regulars."

For fans who were unable to take part in the puchase of the Fat Club series, disc three might be the highlight of the entire compilation. Seventeen tracks that range from the obscure roster signees (MxPx!) to the not-nearly-celebrated enough (One Man Army), it's a fantastic collection of artists that ultimately comes off as a nicely-timed reunion without any phony sentiment. Some tracks have already found their ways onto b-sides/rarities comps or were re-recorded for albums, however it's a small price to pay to get ahold of the others available here.

In case you're addicted to everything the label releases or are just that obsessive-compulsive, there is a large poster containing not only every band past and present, but a pin-up showcasing every single release the label has put out. Again, if you're gonna blow your allowance from lawnmowing or backrubbing (or walking, calling all former Drive-Thru interns) on something worth your collector's while, skip the bubblegum and comic books this week - go pick up a Wrecktrospective unlike any other.

Recommended if You LikeAnything and everything Fat Wreck.
Choice CutsNOFX's "Spaghetti Motel"; Chixdiggit's "I Remember You"; Against Me! "You Look Like I Need a Drink (Acoustic)"

PurchaseFat Wreck Store

Displaying posts 1 - 10 of 10.
06:02 AM on 04/11/10
Rynaldo
Dr. Octagon
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I dont understand. Did you give this a 47 or an 88?
06:46 AM on 04/11/10
mht
User Info.
I dont understand. Did you give this a 47 or an 88?
when you look at it from the review page, it doesn't factor in the N/A scores. (in this case vocals, musicianship, lyrics). I'm not sure why he didn't give a score for those, because it's not like these songs don't contain them, maybe he was just grading it on being a compilation as he's probably already heard the songs on other releases. But yeah, the N/A scores are counted out once you click the review and actually read it. So he actually gave it an 88.
12:44 PM on 04/11/10
UnderMyDreams
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
88 tracks for 88%
02:12 PM on 04/11/10
Chris Fallon
Boom.
User Info.
when you look at it from the review page, it doesn't factor in the N/A scores. (in this case vocals, musicianship, lyrics). I'm not sure why he didn't give a score for those, because it's not like these songs don't contain them, maybe he was just grading it on being a compilation as he's probably already heard the songs on other releases. But yeah, the N/A scores are counted out once you click the review and actually read it. So he actually gave it an 88.
I didn't score them, because it's not really fair to group them all together when individually, some vary and are better/worse than others. Score isn't really what matters with an album like this. For the amount of tunes you're getting for a low price, you're either buying it or not.
08:03 PM on 04/11/10
Deborah Remus
Winnipegger
User Info.
I like the "I Remember You" shout out.
08:46 PM on 04/11/10
nicoteen
Mint Berry Crunch!!!
User Info.
Well that is probably my favorite Against Me! track and $15 doesn't sound like much I am going to have to go pick this up.
09:16 PM on 04/11/10
Poochemist
Not that easy to confuse
User Info.
Heh, the only Fat Wreck compilation I own is the "Short Music for Short People," which I picked up like 10 years ago. That had a ton of songs on it.
03:17 AM on 04/13/10
Akissforher
City Love
User Info.
this definately sounds worthy of picking up for the sheer volume of songs to cash ratio
05:48 PM on 05/23/10
ship of beers
User Info.
Had a good time with this, some great memories
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Submit News