AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Front of Resistance - Reclaim Your Mind Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 7.5
Musicianship 7.5
Lyrics 7.5
Production 7
Creativity 8.5
Lasting Value 6
Reviewer Tilt 8
Final Verdict: 74%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Front of Resistance - Reclaim Your Mind

Reviewed by: Thomas Nassiff (04/13/10)
Front of Resistance - Reclaim Your Mind
Release Date: November 17, 2009
Record Label: Unsigned

Who was the guy that thought cheesecake would be a good idea? I mean, come on...you've got cheese, for crying out loud, and cake. That has to be one of the most polarizing pairs of food ever. It's like, I wouldn't try to serve you a meal where you ate sushi and drank chocolate milk. And you would never go off and put mustard or soy sauce on your chicken parmesan. A lot of things don't seem like they would work well together, but sometimes everything works out. Front of Resistance's debut full length, Reclaim Your Mind, is an example of how an unlikely mix of things can work well together. The 13 songs on Reclaim Your Mind combine indie, acoustic rock, and pop punk elements. Featuring the dual vocals Ron Corte and Aubrey Franklin, Front of Resistance describe themselves as "...a hippie who used to play folk punk that started a band with a pop punk kid, a hardcore kid, a indie kid, and a cute girl." Well played.

Reclaim Your Mind starts off with "Help Me Fly", giving the listener an automatic dose of the dual vocals. The song features multiple occasions of gang vocals while incorporating a melodic piano riff and punk-tinged guitar work. While the production on this album isn't the best, as is often found with unsigned bands, the passion that Front of Resistance show for their craft and a unique sound make for an enjoyable listen. "If You Got It" brings out the folk-rock side of the group, brought to the table by Corte from his earlier projects. Reclaim Your Mind plays out like separate pieces making a puzzle, as songs like "Maybe Someday" and "Outside Point of View" continue to add new elements. The former features a catchy guitar riff at the start and introduces the use of hardcore-influenced screams and a short guitar solo. The latter features some of the heavier guitar work on the album, but we again hear the blend with Franklin's easing piano riff.

The title track is the most unexpected, as an acoustic guitar opening leads into a Four Year Strong-esque growl, beginning the most musically impressive effort on Reclaim Your Mind. Franklin's voice is featured more here, especially on the chorus, which is a nice touch. Holistically, the vocals on this album aren't bad, but they can be harsh at times. I credit his mainly to a lack of expert production and the fact that this is the band's first full length recording together. It seems as though there are no star musicians in Front of Resistance, but that each member brings something of their own. Together, the band know their roles and manage to put together a promising first album. With Corte's track record, we can certainly expect more from Front of Resistance, and I'm looking forward to hearing what other curveballs they have up their sleeve.

Recommended If You Likefolk punk, Against Me! or Frank Turner (kinda), cheesecake, not knowing what to write on a RIYL
Download These First"Help Me Fly", "Maybe Someday", "Reclaim Your Mind"
Bare Essentials1. Help Me Fly
2. If You Got It
3. Express Your Hate
4. Maybe Someday
5. Loving AM
6. Outside Point of View
7. Real on A Daily
8. Don't Think Too Much
9. Reclaim Your Mind
10. Quanah
11. Dependency's A Bitch
12. Erision and Weathering
13. Can't Sleep All Day
Produced By: Jason Keuhn, Run Time: 46 minutes, 30 seconds
myspace.com/frontofresistance
Buy: just send them a message on Myspace.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
01:10 AM on 04/14/10
Smeee
AP.net's Resident Staryu
User Info.
Cheesecake is great.
10:39 AM on 04/14/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Seconded.
03:42 PM on 04/14/10
wall e
@mattobrien37
User Info.
I've never heard of this, but I do like cheesecake. Maybe I'll listen.
11:05 PM on 04/14/10
doritoz
NICER DICER
User Info.
Sounds interesting. I'm going to listen to them.

Edit: Damn, they are awesome. Wish I could find a place to download their songs (I live in Mexico and have no credit card, so I don't really now how I could buy their album).
05:42 PM on 04/15/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Sounds interesting. I'm going to listen to them.

Edit: Damn, they are awesome. Wish I could find a place to download their songs (I live in Mexico and have no credit card, so I don't really now how I could buy their album).
Hmm, that is tough. Message them on Myspace and tell them your situation, maybe they can help you think of something.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests