AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review

Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album Is Better... Album Cover

Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album Is Better...

Reviewed by
Reel Big Fish - Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album
Release Date: August 22nd, 2006
Record Label: Rock Ridge Music

An exhilarating live performance is among the most memorable experiences any listener can endure. But, it seems that as if any acts efforts after several months locked in a recording studio, which is significantly more comparable to a prison than a home, more often than not fail to capture the spirit, personality, and sheer, unrivalled energy that only a live show can deliver. Now, slowly close your eyes and invision the discovery of a compact disc that accommodates these necessities with ease, and more or less generates an equivalent adventure in your home. With their latest triple-disc release, Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album, Reel Big Fish seize each quality that makes their live performance unique, refreshing, and unforgettable, and distributes each drop in a manner that is sure to be regarded for years to come.

Although it seems as though three discs (two of which contain a combined total of 35 audio tracks, and a third disc holding an additional 20 live video tracks) would be a flawless selling point alone, it's exceedingly difficult to grasp each brilliant characteristic this package has to offer. The band has abducted every unmistakable attribute that portray the sheer essence of their celebrated live performance. The music is presented in top-notch sound quality, and the video portion of the parcel is among the most stunning visuals available. It's an exceptional moment for any fan when a treasured act's live performance becomes available to any listener's living room at any point in time, so may Reel Big Fish fans worldwide brace themselves for the roller-coaster ride approaching.

The two audio discs, which fabricate the band's first release of the sort, are arranged beautifully, and everything from the track organization to the song selections are fabulous. As a matter of fact, one of the most appealing factors throughout the entire package is the impeccable commixture of both older and more recent material. The band performs elected material from each distinguished release, as well nominates a symmetrical balance between hit singles ("Sell Out", "Take On Me", "Beer", "She Has a Girlfriend Now") and lesser-known ("Trendy", "I Want Your Girlfriend To Be My Girlfriend Too", "Ban The Tube Top", "Kiss Me Deadly") gems. Additionally, each footstep is accompanied by clever, ingenious banter that accurately depicts the band's authentic personality in an unblemished, faultless manner.

Yet, while the audio-based content is exceptionally satisfying on its own, it's nearly twice as pleasing to commemorate the whole affair with coexisting footage. It's almost as if the two previous discs smybolize a serious of undeniably awe-inspiring stepping stones, all of which lead to an extended, legendary encore as a dramatic conclusion. The disc is once again comprised of both remarkable photoplay and sound quality, which together formulate what is easily one of the most visually captivating performances in existence. The individual band members are each in the spotlight at the proper times, the musicianship is astonishing, and the performace is as intimate as any fan could possibly desire.

But, as any impartial critic will agree, few releases are worthy of being considered masterpieces, and even less are deserving of a perfect score. So, where do Reel Big Fish and their latest, triple-disc effort rest on the road to the supremacy? Well, with all bias and inclination aside, Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album is as close as any live release is going to end up, and for their efforts these six musicians are praiseworthy. However, an invariable opinion is something rarely uncovered, and certainly a feat not to be expected. For example, purists might mope at the inclusion of minor overdubbing on both the audio and video portions of the release, and while those critics may feel the studio magic detracts from the record's authenticity, I view these miniscule corrections as genial enhancements. Yet, with all insignificant nonsense aside, the band has ensured that it is unusually challenging to compose any criticism at all.

In all honesty, there's no tomfoolery in proclaiming that Reel Big Fish are a force to be reckoned with, and Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album is a journey of sheer enthusiasm, playfulness, and gratification. As a matter of fact, if three successive, unique, phenomenal, and unprecedented live performances from the band strike you as a cherished souvenir, you will welcome this release with wider arms than ever before. The band has comfortably grasped what fans have grown to enshrine, yet all the while establishing a certain versatility to salute new listeners. Our Live Album Is Better Than Your Live Album is without a doubt one of the strongest, most well-rounded albums the world has ever laid eyes upon, and I'm proud to say that it was born within the minds of an independent act.

For Fans OfSuburban Legends, Oingo Boingo, Less Than Jake, and The Aquabats
ListenOfficial Website | MySpace | You Suck, I Rule | AP Profile
This review is a user submitted review from Brandon Allin. You can see all of Brandon Allin's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 15 of 38
07:16 PM on 08/19/06
niveK
dook dook dook
User Info.
Fantastic review
07:16 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Thanks. I appreciate it. :)
07:17 PM on 08/19/06
DeathCabForCoon
www.ryancoons.blogspot.co m
User Info.
Couldn't agree more. This album has re-established my love for ska.
07:20 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
Couldn't agree more. This album has re-established my love for ska.
I'm confident this album won't spark some sort of popularity wave or anything, but I think alot of peoples past love for ska might be rekindled wth this release.
09:28 PM on 08/19/06
daang
User Info.
how reel big fish could get a 9 in lyrics is beyond me. their lyrics are so stupid and childish that if anything, i feel dumber for having heard them. seriously, 7th graders could come up with better lyrics than them
09:37 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
how reel big fish could get a 9 in lyrics is beyond me. their lyrics are so stupid and childish that if anything, i feel dumber for having heard them. seriously, 7th graders could come up with better lyrics than them
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but I'll explain the grade. I've never been one to look too far into any lyricists writing, and I can't say I enjoy deep, meaningful, poetic lyrics. Of course, I'm not saying lyrics have to be poetic to warrant a high score, I'm just making a comparison. Reel Big Fish have always written corny lyrics, and I think that's what I love about them. Sometimes, you just need something that will make you laugh, and comedy is a huge plus in my books. Aaron isn't a writer who takes himself seriously, and his lyrics aren't meant to be taken seriously. I think anyone who can make me laugh time and time again, and every so often write something thought-provoking (may it be childish or not), has enough skill to warrant a high score. But, you're entitled to your own opinion, and I'm not about to argue that. :) Thanks for your response.
10:17 PM on 08/19/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
aaron is goofy and funny as hell. i don't know if i'd give him a 9, but I understand the grade.
10:30 PM on 08/19/06
Brandon Allin
Stay Ready
User Info.
aaron is goofy and funny as hell. i don't know if i'd give him a 9, but I understand the grade.
This is why I love me some Weebs.
10:31 PM on 08/19/06
DeathCabForCoon
www.ryancoons.blogspot.co m
User Info.

Dude, thats the point, the lyrics are simply fun. There isn't any like heavy symbolism or groundbreaking metaphors in any of their songs. Everything is just straightforward and boarderline goofy. Thats the way it should be for a band like this.
10:36 PM on 08/19/06
Scott Weber
Live Like a Legend
User Info.
This is why I love me some Weebs.
I really need to go buy this. What's the distro on this CD?
10:36 PM on 08/19/06
CommunistMagic!
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
I was actually unaware of this Box Release until I saw it upon the board; and now, due to this indepth review, I am very much anticipating it as a fan of the zany, cooky 'RBF'.

I just keep imagining when I saw them live and how entertaining and well-done it all was; and Im looking forward to be able to indulge myself once again with these discs.

Fantastic Review. :)
10:43 PM on 08/19/06
Drew Beringer
Senior Editor - @drewberinger - Locked Groove
User Info.
I got this in the mail today, I'll check it out now.
10:53 PM on 08/19/06
Big_Guy
Idle Will Kill
User Info.
I still need to hear this, but when I saw them a month ago, they slowed down practiacally every song.

we need Andrew Gonzales back
12:01 AM on 08/20/06
HoboAdam
User Info.
reel big fish almost talk as much as blink 182

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT