AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Interview
Hint: Have a band you'd like to see interviewed? Tell us.
Inside AP.net

Our Last Night - 04.14.10

Interviewed by: Joe DeAndrea (04/14/10)
What is your name and role in the band?

Matt, I play guitar and sing.

What is like being on tour with a younger brother all the time? Do you guys ever fight?

People ALWAYS ask this question haha. But surprisingly we don't fight any more than than anyone else in the band. We all actually get along really well, I hear of band members getting in fist fights and huge arguments but we're pretty drama free.

What's your favorite part of touring?

Playing shows. I think if that wasn't my answer there would be problem ha. It's what were out on tour to do and the reason we're doing it. Meeting our fans and making some awesome friends is also a huge part that make us enjoy it so much.

Can you tell us the story of how the band came to be?

It's a pretty long story but I'll try to keep it short. Me and Trevor are brothers. Me and our bassist, Woody, have been friends since we were about 6 years old. Me and Woody kind of started playing guitar and bass at the same time, when we were about 14, so soon after we started a band. Trevor didn't really play an instrument so he just did vocals by default, and wasn't much of a singer so he screamed. We found a few other members and played a couple shows a month locally for a few years. It just kept getting more serious as we kept playing more shows and recording more songs. We met our drummer Tim though playing shows with his other bands and our guitarist Colin went to college with Woody. When we got some interest from labels our old guitarist and drummer decided it wasn't what they wanted to do full time so we recruited Colin and Tim. And here we are today.

How did you get into contact with Epitaph when you were unsigned?

Our old manager sent some of our demos we recorded at my house directly to the owner, Brett. Brett was interested in a different band our manager had managed previously so he they knew each other. I'm pretty sure he emailed back right away and our manager put me on the phone with him.

What's it like being one of the only New Hampshire bands to become nationally known? How do you feel about the scene there in general?

It's awesome, I hope more bands start to come out of NH. I feel like the scene up here has very big ups and downs. The kids up here are always great though, touring through the country we do find that some areas literally have no interest in having fun at shows, but NH is almost always a great time. The biggest problem up here is that there is no great venue to play at, I don't think we have played a show up here where the crowd can actually hear what we're playing in a few years. BUT it does seem that some people are trying to make that change, so I really really hope it does.

How would you compare to We Will All Evolve to The Ghosts Among Us?

We Will All Evolve takes soooo many more risks than The Ghosts Among Us. It's kind of funny, the first song we released from the album called "Elephants" sounds nothing like the rest of the album, a lot of our fans loved it but there was definitely a good amount that were very shocked. We didn't change our sound much but people are so scared of any change at all, it's crazy. Each song on We Will All Evolve has it's place on the album, and each song is very different from the all of the others. We had a lot of trouble choosing what song to release first off of the album because not just ONE song can really show what the album sounds like. The Ghosts Among Us sticks more to one style, we tried to mix it up a little on the new album and incorporate more styles of music we enjoy into our sound that our fans are already familiar with. We Will All Evolve has the heaviest and the catchiest songs we have ever recorded, but as whole I wouldn't say it is either heavier or lighter than The Ghosts Among Us. There are definitely some shockers on the album, songs people will hear and be like "WTF."

On the new album, you have a couple really hard songs, and then there's "Into the Future" that's almost A Day to Remember-esque. How have your influences changed from the last album to this one?

Kind of what I talked about in the last question, we branched out a little and brought some different styles to the table. I actually stopped listening to a lot of heavy music since we recorded the last album. I still love heavy music but I rarely find a new band that I feel does it right, or interesting enough, so I started listening to a lot of pop/rock. I think the albums I listened to most during the writing process were Jack's Mannequin - Everything In Transit, The Graduate - Anhedonia, Paramore - Riot, The Fray - The Fray, and Coldplay - A Rush of Blood to the Head. So I added a lot of pop song structures and song writing techniques to our previous sound.

For someone who has never listened to your music before, what's one song you'd tell them to listen to first and why?

I would probably tell them to listen to the title track to the new album "We Will All Evolve" it shows a lot of our heavy, technical, and melodic styles. It also doesn't stray far from what our older stuff sounded like so it is a good song for someone to judge our band on.

What do you wish to accomplish with We Will All Evolve?

To reach a wider audience and to satisfy any previous Our Last Night fans crave for new music to enjoy.

What's the reasoning for "Elephants" as the first single? What other future singles would you like to see from this album?

Umm, it was actually Epitaph's choice. We also wanted to release a heavier song of the album first. I would love to see a song called "The Air I Breathe" become one of our singles, maybe do a video for it in the future. It has lyrics that are important to me, the chorus is big and powerful, I'm just really proud of how that one came out.

So after your tour with From First to Last, you guys are going out on Warped Tour. Anything you have planned after that you can tell us?

We are actually going to do some touring in July in between our tour with From First to Last in May and our August Warped Tour dates. We can't release any details on what it will be because nothing is confirmed quite yet.

Any final words to tell the readers?

Thanks to everyone for reading and please pick up our new album "We Will All Evolve" in stores May 4th. You can check out two brand new songs "Elephants" and "Across The Ocean" on our myspace page! We Will All Evolve is available for pre-order now at www.kingsroadmerch.com/epitaph-records

Displaying posts 1 - 12 of 12.
10:04 AM on 04/14/10
TheRealJohnOC
I've seen 701 bands/artists live
User Info.
amazing band, amazing interview!
11:18 AM on 04/14/10
teleben
User Info.
truly a great band
11:25 AM on 04/14/10
jonisthenewblac
User Info.
love this band, and incredibly stoked for this album. It couldnt come any sooner.

matt seems like a nice dude too.
11:38 AM on 04/14/10
sta7ic
User Info.
have seen these guys live and have chatted with matt a few times at shows. Really down to earth guys. Matt is always willing to spend a few minutes talking with fans. They are real proud of their music and know what they want to do with it.
12:04 PM on 04/14/10
LagwagonX8
User Info.
way to represent the Granite State
03:36 PM on 04/14/10
shawnPLAGUES
Steve Holt is a bastard.
User Info.
Matt is such an awesome guy.
07:18 PM on 04/14/10
HiTekRedneck48
You betcha.
User Info.
Nice, he picked my question about NH bands. I hope these guys continue to see success.
11:13 PM on 04/15/10
singlexsorrow
In all this chaos we found safety..
User Info.
Cool interview
09:49 PM on 04/16/10
andthetruthwill
You keep company with wolves.
User Info.
I listened to the new record tonight and it totally blows the last out of the water. This interview and descriptions kept popping into my head while hearing it.
12:03 PM on 04/18/10
Ryan Gardner
@RyanGardnerC
User Info.
Can't wait for the album
02:40 PM on 04/24/10
MwP
User Info.
Bunch of great dudes, all around.
Options
More From This Author
Buy the Music