Password

Album Review

Shh... This Is a Library - Dream Big Album Cover

Shh... This Is a Library - Dream Big

Reviewed by
Shh... This is a Library - Dream Big
Record Label: I Had An Accident Records
Release Date: December 1, 2009
Shh... This is a Library finally gets around to offering us his sophomore album Dream Big. The virgin simplicity of the self-titled album seems to have disappeared in Dream Big. The most difficult part of creating a sophomore album is being able to purvey the accident that went along with the first album. It becomes a long struggle to produce something that is unique and holds its own against the first album, but also that is not too far astray that it is unrecognizable. This may possibly be why it took so long for this album to be released.

Dream Big begins with an ear drum pounding song "Okay with Okay". Imagine plugging your iPod into the bedroom window air conditioner. The feeling of diving into water and suddenly being unable to recognize sound in the same manner as on land - the first track gets lost inside itself and truthfully the only song on the album that I will not be including on my iPod. The air conditioning buzz intertwines throughout the album producing a nostalgic summer feel. Staying true to the lo-fi bedroom pop sound and creating an album that you can drift off to sleep with - the album takes on the machine version of cool summer nights opposed to the open window and crickets chirping. With this being said the sound is not stuffy and humid but cool, buzzing, and often the feeling of being trapped behind four walls is evident.

Beach towels, freshly cut grass, Slip N' Slide, cook outs and poison ivy are the best ways to describe the songs on this album. A fresh summer escape with lemon aide delivered by your mother and dinners with the family. Dream Big is a wish - a belief - a dream to go back to childhood. Our own innocence in question and relieved. The smooth transitions from song to song produces a stream of conscious feel that was also present on the first album. Dream Big sees less of the instrumental tracks and when they are used they are used to bridge one song to another, a style in which Brent Wolczynski is able to capitalize on. Being in the summer sun too long causes dizziness and dehydration. The album does bring us out of the sun periodically and we are able to embrace Wolczynski’s struggle with love and how difficult it is to just say how much you like someone. Lyrically Wolczynski continues this simplicity reminiscent to wanting to hold a girls hand and going for long walks in the moon light - the type of simplicity missed in most music today.

The final track introduces the music box as an instrument. I think Wolczynski snuck into his parents old room and found the music box his father gave to his mother. The music box triggers this emotional song about his mother and God and who knows what in a ballad turns out to be a great song. The song itself sounds like it was recorded in a different room and provides some body and movement to the languid direction of the album. Midway through the song Wolczynskis father’s banjo is found and picked up. Dealing with the past is never easy and the album ends with the resonate of the music box drifting lonely off to sleep - air conditioner turned off - summer is over.

All in all I can tell my love for this album will be strong after the boys of summer have gone.

Recommended If You Likebedroom pop; Album Leaf, The; American Football; The One AM Radio

myspace.com/shhthisisalibrary
This review is a user submitted review from HHJulia. You can see all of HHJulia's submitted reviews here.

Displaying posts 1 - 6 of 6
02:57 AM on 04/23/10
yayitsjoe
An American Workplace.
User Info.
love this guy. glad to see him being reviewed.
05:40 AM on 04/23/10
Frybrid
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
such a great album, I actually think I like it better than the s/t. apparently he has an ep coming out really soon too.

http://www.facebook.com/ShhThisIsALibrary
06:13 AM on 04/23/10
AttAss
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
oooh - it can be purchased here: http://www.ihadanaccidentrecords.com...ses/ih017.html

and for only $5 postage paid!?
09:41 AM on 04/23/10
awakeohsleeper
We never met, you and I
User Info.
Will check this out.
11:52 AM on 01/29/12
Sic Transit Zeb
User Info.
Album is good but a 9.25 for vocals is a bit high.

But good review! Enjoyed it and happy to this on here!!

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music
Articles
CONNECT
Submit News
Forums
Contests
Mobile Version
AP.net Logos