AbsolutePunk.net
   Username
Password

Album Review
Hint: Follow a reviewer to be notified when they post reviews.
Justin Currie - The Great War Album Cover
Author's Rating
Vocals 8.5
Musicianship 8.5
Lyrics 8.25
Production 8.25
Creativity 7
Lasting Value 8.5
Reviewer Tilt 8.5
Final Verdict: 82%
Member Ratings
No one has rated this album. You can be the first.

Justin Currie - The Great War

Reviewed by: Gregory Robson (04/19/10)
Justin Currie - The Great War
Record Label: Rykodisc
Release Date: May 4, 2010

Less than two decades ago, melodic acoustic-rock dominated the airwaves. Scottish duo The Proclaimers catapulted onto the charts on the heels of "When I Come Home," while fellow Scots Del Amitri had a runaway with the uber-catchy "Roll to Me." Here in America, the California group Toad the Wet Sprocket made a dent with "Good Intentions," while New York City's Dog's Eye View rocketed up the charts with "Everything Falls Apart." These days though, melodic acoustic-rock is heard mostly on adult contemporary stations or in open mic nights across the country.

More than ten years removed from his days in Del Amitri, singer-songwriter Justin Currie has released his second solo album, The Great War, an earnest collection of melodic acoustic-rock that probably would have been a commercial success had it been released 15 years ago. Instead this harmless, polished blend of mid-tempo Britfolk sounds eerily misplaced. Thankfully though, it's pretty spot-on from start to finish.

"Ready To Be," and "At Home Inside of Me," are proof positive that the sideburned Scot knows his way around a melody, as does the eight-minute epic "The Fight To be Human." They're catchy, sensitive and highly memorable. Most importantly, they allow Currie the chance to wear his heart on his sleeve. An unabashed romantic, Currie also ponders the ruminations of the heart on "A Man With Nothing To Do," "Anywhere I'm Away From You," and "Can't Let Go Of Her Now," while the sweetly affecting piano ballad "You'll Always Walk Alone," offers up what can arguably be described as one of his finest songs to date.

Currie readily admits that he doesn't write many uptempo songs these days and that he's unabashedly introspective. Being cognizant of that, one can't help but marvel at how sun-drenched and buoyant The Great War is. This is highly accessible, moderately commercial acoustic-based soft-rock. It probably won't sell millions but it's not going to make you clutch your ears in pain. And in a world of Auto-Tune and overnight pop-tarts, that's not exactly a bad thing.

Track Listing 1. A Man With Nothing To Do *
2. Anywhere I'm Away From You
3. At Home Inside of Me *
4. You'll Always Walk Alone
5. Can't Let Go Of Her Now
6. The Fight To Be Human *
7. Ready To Be
8. The Way That It Falls
9. As Long As You Don't Come Back *
10. Everyone I Love
12. Baby, You Survived *
*=Choice cuts

Recommended If You Like James Maddock, Marty Lloyd, Will Hoge, The Stone Roses, Rod Stewart

Find Him Here Myspace
Website

Displaying posts 1 - 5 of 5
06:25 AM on 04/19/10
Thomas Nassiff
resuscitation of the year
User Info.
Good review. I checked out his Myspace when he was on our new music list and I liked his stuff, it's really catchy.

By the way, quick edit: "The FIght......"
06:46 AM on 04/19/10
Gregory Robson
Under Rug Swept
User Info.
Good review. I checked out his Myspace when he was on our new music list and I liked his stuff, it's really catchy.

By the way, quick edit: "The FIght......"
Awesome copy-editing. Thank you sir.
08:48 AM on 04/19/10
inthemidst
Grace and Peace
User Info.
Good review, my friend. I love the intro. I'm still a big fan of the melodic acoustic-rock singer-songwriter genre, personally, so this resonates with me.
03:32 PM on 04/22/10
etwardjetward
User Info.
No Avatar Selected
hmm.
Options
More From This Author

NEWS, MUSIC & MORE
Search News
Release Dates
Exclusives
Best New Music